Mid morning transportation from Anchorage to Seward

PCWalton1

Hi,

We just booked today Radiance on August 19th. We will be flying up from Seattle and for the flights we are looking at it appears the earliest we can arrive in Anchorage is about 8:30am. We would like to get over to Seward that day but is seems like all the transportation leaves earlier in the morning. Available one way rental car is over $200 so that is out.

Any suggestions for reasonable cost transportation mid morning or are we out of luck?

thanks

Seems like options are mostly for early morning or early afternoon transportation.

Try some of these companies, some of which make a stop at the very worthwhile Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center on the journey south.

http://www.anchorage.net/plan-your-trip/getting-around/cruise-transfers-and-transportation/

http://www.sewardalaskabus.com

That is a bargain rate for a car. I suggest you might want to consider more than you are with shutting it down due to cost.

That car, can offer you a LOT of scenic opportunities and multiple stops and attractions. Have you been to Alaska before? It doesn't sound like you are coming in very early either?

The "value" of your experiences, rather than just a road transfer on a bus, can be well worth the cost. Depends on the person. I know my time and how I use it, is far more valuable to me then money. :)

Just an alternative suggestion.

That is a bargain rate for a car. I suggest you might want to consider more than you are with shutting it down due to cost.

That car, can offer you a LOT of scenic opportunities and multiple stops and attractions. Have you been to Alaska before? It doesn't sound like you are coming in very early either?

The "value" of your experiences, rather than just a road transfer on a bus, can be well worth the cost. Depends on the person. I know my time and how I use it, is far more valuable to me then money. :)

Just an alternative suggestion.

Sorry but some of us are limited by how much work vacation we have. :p :D

We are flying up the 17th for a cruise (get to Anchorage about 8:30AM) that does not leave until 8pm on the 19th so we have several days. I was just not planning to split that between Anchorage and Seward. I would rather spend the bulk of the time in the Seward area.

I was going to look into an excursion on the 18th in the Seward area.

Also that car was higher than I originally stated. It's $312 for one day. :eek:

If I stay in the Anchorage area I can get a one day rental for about $80. Could look around that area on the 17th, take the train down to Seward on the morning of the 18th. Should still give me some time in Seward.

Now I need to figure out where to spend the night in Anchorage.

Sorry but some of us are limited by how much work vacation we have. :p :D

We are flying up the 17th for a cruise (get to Anchorage about 8:30AM) that does not leave until 8pm on the 19th so we have several days. I was just not planning to split that between Anchorage and Seward. I would rather spend the bulk of the time in the Seward area.

I was going to look into an excursion on the 18th in the Seward area.

Also that car was higher than I originally stated. It's $312 for one day. :eek:

If I stay in the Anchorage area I can get a one day rental for about $80. Could look around that area on the 17th, take the train down to Seward on the morning of the 18th. Should still give me some time in Seward.

Now I need to figure out where to spend the night in Anchorage.

Take a look at the areas, and where you want to be. There can be a lot you can fill a day with around Anchorage, same with Seward. But- determine for your choices- your priorities and stay and go where those are. I wouldn't just stay in an area otherwise, especially with only 2 nights.

Plenty of places to stay. Maybe find something fast, that is fully cancelable, now, then keep figuring out and select your activities. I'd actually double book the first night in both Anchorage and Seward, Until you know.

Take a look at the areas, and where you want to be. There can be a lot you can fill a day with around Anchorage, same with Seward. But- determine for your choices- your priorities and stay and go where those are. I wouldn't just stay in an area otherwise, especially with only 2 nights.

Plenty of places to stay. Maybe find something fast, that is fully cancelable, now, then keep figuring out and select your activities. I'd actually double book the first night in both Anchorage and Seward, Until you know.

The more I look at it, the more I am leaning to rent the car from Anchorage to Seward as I love driving. We can research sights to see on the drive since we could spend the entire day exploring. Spend both nights in Seward. Turn the car in the morning of the 18th then do a day cruise of Resurrection Bay.

The more I look at it, the more I am leaning to rent the car from Anchorage to Seward as I love driving. We can research sights to see on the drive since we could spend the entire day exploring. Spend both nights in Seward. Turn the car in the morning of the 18th then do a day cruise of Resurrection Bay.

I did the train and it was stunning. I have no doubt the drive will be amazing for you! I would love to leisurely drive that route one day.

Lots to do in Seward - I don't think you will be disappointed. I would rather spend more time in Seward than Anchorage. Sounds like a good plan.

As I mentioned- reserve that car NOW. You can cancel later if need be. Keep track of the 24 hour clock. You don't need a car in Seward, but, if your time hasn't run out, it is more convenient for Exit Glacier.

Keep reworking your plans. That's the only way to get it perfect. :)

Take a look what you ended up in 4 hours. :) ("that is out") to the latest.

As I mentioned- reserve that car NOW. You can cancel later if need be. Keep track of the 24 hour clock. You don't need a car in Seward, but, if your time hasn't run out, it is more convenient for Exit Glacier.

I did book the car and hotel for two nights as I did not have to put money down on them. I am just not used to what I call "last minute" to make arrangements so I have been in semi panic mode all day. I frequently start a year out. We have a Hawaii cruise on Radiance in May 2017 and just about everything is already planned out. :o

Thanks for the assist.

I did the train and it was stunning. I have no doubt the drive will be amazing for you! I would love to leisurely drive that route one day.

Lots to do in Seward - I don't think you will be disappointed. I would rather spend more time in Seward than Anchorage. Sounds like a good plan.

I considered the train but it was almost as much as the car rental and it limited travel flexibility.

We are sailing on your cruise and will be getting into Anchorage on the afternoon on the 18th staying at Hampton Inn that night.

I actually spent 2 hours today trying to figure out how to get the five of us adults to Seward on the 19th.

After checking numerous sites online, calling several and speaking to some really braindead people, I have reached the conclusion that renting a car is the only solution for us because the busses only leave.Anchorage at 1PM or thereabouts and get us to the ship by almost 6 PM

If we can get on by noon and settle in and relax, if we drive ourselves and leave mid morning, why would we choose to sit on a bus. The car rental isnt cheap but neither is the bus.

I saw Hertz offering $312 for a full size. With gold club discount should go even lower.

Bus would be about $250 thereabouts and we could be in Seward and on ship by 1PM with our rental car option. Worth the extra $12.50 per person (plus gas)

We are sailing on your cruise and will be getting into Anchorage on the afternoon on the 18th staying at Hampton Inn that night.

I actually spent 2 hours today trying to figure out how to get the five of us adults to Seward on the 19th.

After checking numerous sites online, calling several and speaking to some really braindead people, I have reached the conclusion that renting a car is the only solution for us because the busses only leave.Anchorage at 1PM or thereabouts and get us to the ship by almost 6 PM

If we can get on by noon and settle in and relax, if we drive ourselves and leave mid morning, why would we choose to sit on a bus. The car rental isnt cheap but neither is the bus.

I saw Hertz offering $312 for a full size. With gold club discount should go even lower.

Bus would be about $250 thereabouts and we could be in Seward and on ship by 1PM with our rental car option. Worth the extra $12.50 per person (plus gas)

Using AAA I got is down another $31 to $280 for a compact.

I would caution- severely, about the above "suggestion" to have a priority to rush on a ship in Seward. At the least- be certain this is the right choice for YOU. Seward is so full of touring opportunities and many people do not get to Alaska often, I would hope many would want to take advantage of being there. http://www.seward.com

In the above case with 5 people- there is no way they all think this way??

Edited by Budget Queen

I looked into your suggestion of Exit Glacier. Sounds like a great place to stop after we drop off the luggage at the hotel since it is not far from Seward. I guess it will depend on how we feel after spending most of the day exploring the Seward Highway. :)

I looked into your suggestion of Exit Glacier. Sounds like a great place to stop after we drop off the luggage at the hotel since it is not far from Seward. I guess it will depend on how we feel after spending most of the day exploring the Seward Highway. :)

Easy to add a Prince William Sound boat tour- if of interest. Magnificent scenery. At the least, do a detour stop of the Portage Glacier visitor center. Very nice exhibits, and ranger programs.