Vista 7/1/16 8 day Med Review - a Vista like no other

jimbo5544

The next stop was Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore. On our last med cruise we spent 3 days at the end of the cruise in Rome and found this church almost by accident. It is a Papel basilica which means it is one of the 4 churches called Pope's church. This church is an absolute beauty on the inside with many naves off to the sides of the main body of the church. Personally speaking I find it more impressive than St Peters in the Vatican. I could post a ton of pictures just from this church, but here are just a few.

2zzmc6h.jpg

o6fs7r.jpg

10r4ith.jpg

2ql750n.jpg

I could easily spend 4 or 5 days here. One of my favorites in Italy, at least until the next stop..... We made our way back on the buses and then onward (and upward)..... next up Positano.

Great review and pictures, We just got back from a land vacation and stayed 3 days in Sorrento and 3 days in Positano absolutely break taking. We enjoyed every moment. Positano was gorgeous!!!! so was Sorrento but Positano left an imprint

what a beautiful church!

It really is, I was pushing the group some. They had to get something to eat and see this true wonder in a fairly short period of time. It was a shame as one could easily spend much longer here and still not see all there is to see.

Great review and pictures, We just got back from a land vacation and stayed 3 days in Sorrento and 3 days in Positano absolutely break taking. We enjoyed every moment. Positano was gorgeous!!!! so was Sorrento but Positano left an imprint

Thanks for your kind words on the review and pictures. I am jealous of your land trip. We are already talking with a subset of our group of doing just what you did.

I asked our guide for our private tour about going there and she said she wasn't sure if it was open in October. Did you get the feel that they close in the fall?

Pat

If you are referring to La Tagliata we were there in October 2010 at the end of the cruise season and had a fantastic meal there. Looking forward to going there with the family next month.

The next stop was Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore. On our last med cruise we spent 3 days at the end of the cruise in Rome and found this church almost by accident. It is a Papel basilica which means it is one of the 4 churches called Pope's church. This church is an absolute beauty on the inside with many naves off to the sides of the main body of the church. Personally speaking I find it more impressive than St Peters in the Vatican. I could post a ton of pictures just from this church, but here are just a few.

Do you remember if there was an entry fee and/or if reservations were required. We love your pictures and definitely want to visit this church during our time in Rome.

Do you remember if there was an entry fee and/or if reservations were required. We love your pictures and definitely want to visit this church during our time in Rome.

There is no fee or reservation required (like the Vatican, women have to have their shoulders covered and no short shorts) but you do have to go through security scanners before entering the building. There are many side naves that are like unique churches of their own. Last time we were there, all of these were open, this time some were closed (mass going on?). My pictures don't do justice to the church. I do have a ton more but wanted to keep it light so as not to bore everyone.....

I asked our guide for our private tour about going there and she said she wasn't sure if it was open in October. Did you get the feel that they close in the fall?

Pat

I really don't know, but this is a family run restaurant (meaning it is the source of all income for them) and I would think they would stay open as long as they can. If they are open, I would strongly recommend going there.

2zzmc6h.jpg

o6fs7r.jpg

Hey there Jimbo - i hope you can clear something up. Your comments above are regarding the Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore which is to be found in Rome near the Piazza Republic but quite a ways away from the Pantheon. Your picture was taken in the Basilica S Maria Sopra Minerva which is just around the corner from the Pantheon. With such a detailed review from a cruise that happened over 3 weeks ago it is not surprising to have a little confusion but perhaps it is just me that is missing something. Love your pictures and want to see the real thing so I am looking forward to your clarification.

Hey jimbo5544, thanks so much for the review and especially for the ship pics!! :D I'm sailing on the Vista in October/November (doing the Transatlantic and the 1st cruise out of NYC B2B) so I've been reading all I can about the ship and looking at as many pictures of her as I can. She looks awesome and I can't wait to see her for myself!! :D For the TA, we're staying in an Aft Havana Balcony on Deck 6 so it was great seeing pics of the Havana Bar (and one of the cabins). Do you have any pics of the Havana Pool area? For the cruise out of NYC, we have a regular balcony on Deck 8 (don't know which one yet, we booked a GTY). which seating did you have in the dining room? We have Late Seating and I'm just trying to figure out which dining room we'll be in (since I'm guessing that one is for Traditional Dining and the other is for Anytime Dining). Was it the regular Carnival menu in the MDR (American Table/American Feast) or did they have special menus with more European style food? I'll be happy either way, lol!! :D Did they ever offer tours of the Red Frog Brewery? I love beer so I think that'd be interesting. What was the atmosphere like onboard? Was it a young(ish), fun loving crowd with lots of parties/games/activities going on (you know, a typical Carnival cruise/crowd) or was it more old(er) people and laid back with few activities and no parties? All our other TAs from Barcelona were the 2nd option (very few activities - unless you count things like Bridge, Knitting, and Book Club - during the day and no games or parties at all, not even a deck party, these cruises were on Holland America, the ship was the Nieuw Amsterdam, our TA on the Eurodam was much more like Carnival). Sorry for all the questions (and I'll probably have a few more as I go through the review, I'm only on page 5). :o

Just a question about Barcelona (where we embark for the TA). I've been there a few times for cruises (all have been TAs so have never debarked there, haha) and we usually stay for a couple/few days before the cruise. We're looking at different places to have dinner that we haven't been to yet and I've been thinking about that Bull Ring (even though I am totally against Bull Fighting, it looks interesting. I was happy to find out they banned the "sport" in the city a few years ago because it was and is considered Animal Cruelty which of course, it is). We've seen it from the outside but have never been inside. What kind(s) of restaurants do they have in there and is the food (and drinks) good? Does it still look like a Bull Ring on the inside (as in, do the shops and restaurants go around the outside and it's open in the middle) or have they made it into solid floors all the way across just like any other mall/building (I hope that makes sense)? It is beautiful on the outside and I'd love to go in sometime!!

I see that you're going on the Vista again out of Miami, lucky you!! :D I'd love to do one of her cruises from Miami someday, I just have no idea which one. They all look good, lol.

If you are referring to La Tagliata we were there in October 2010 at the end of the cruise season and had a fantastic meal there. Looking forward to going there with the family next month.

Thank you. I have already informed our guide this is where we want to eat.

Pat

I really don't know, but this is a family run restaurant (meaning it is the source of all income for them) and I would think they would stay open as long as they can. If they are open, I would strongly recommend going there.

We are going to try to eat here based on your review. I ahve already told our guide!

Pat

We are going to try to eat here based on your review. I ahve already told our guide!

Pat

OK, I don't think you will be disappointed. Come back and let me know your thoughts. BTW, while we currently live in CT, retiring and moving down to our condo in Ft. Myers next year (I hope;)).

Hey jimbo5544, thanks so much for the review and especially for the ship pics!! :D I'm sailing on the Vista in October/November (doing the Transatlantic and the 1st cruise out of NYC B2B) so I've been reading all I can about the ship and looking at as many pictures of her as I can. She looks awesome and I can't wait to see her for myself!! :D For the TA, we're staying in an Aft Havana Balcony on Deck 6 so it was great seeing pics of the Havana Bar (and one of the cabins). Do you have any pics of the Havana Pool area? For the cruise out of NYC, we have a regular balcony on Deck 8 (don't know which one yet, we booked a GTY). which seating did you have in the dining room? We have Late Seating and I'm just trying to figure out which dining room we'll be in (since I'm guessing that one is for Traditional Dining and the other is for Anytime Dining). Was it the regular Carnival menu in the MDR (American Table/American Feast) or did they have special menus with more European style food? I'll be happy either way, lol!! :D Did they ever offer tours of the Red Frog Brewery? I love beer so I think that'd be interesting. What was the atmosphere like onboard? Was it a young(ish), fun loving crowd with lots of parties/games/activities going on (you know, a typical Carnival cruise/crowd) or was it more old(er) people and laid back with few activities and no parties? All our other TAs from Barcelona were the 2nd option (very few activities - unless you count things like Bridge, Knitting, and Book Club - during the day and no games or parties at all, not even a deck party, these cruises were on Holland America, the ship was the Nieuw Amsterdam, our TA on the Eurodam was much more like Carnival). Sorry for all the questions (and I'll probably have a few more as I go through the review, I'm only on page 5). :o

Just a question about Barcelona (where we embark for the TA). I've been there a few times for cruises (all have been TAs so have never debarked there, haha) and we usually stay for a couple/few days before the cruise. We're looking at different places to have dinner that we haven't been to yet and I've been thinking about that Bull Ring (even though I am totally against Bull Fighting, it looks interesting. I was happy to find out they banned the "sport" in the city a few years ago because it was and is considered Animal Cruelty which of course, it is). We've seen it from the outside but have never been inside. What kind(s) of restaurants do they have in there and is the food (and drinks) good? Does it still look like a Bull Ring on the inside (as in, do the shops and restaurants go around the outside and it's open in the middle) or have they made it into solid floors all the way across just like any other mall/building (I hope that makes sense)? It is beautiful on the outside and I'd love to go in sometime!!

I see that you're going on the Vista again out of Miami, lucky you!! :D I'd love to do one of her cruises from Miami someday, I just have no idea which one. They all look good, lol.

Let's see, where to start..... Congrats on doing the back to back with the TA and the first cruise out of New York. I know that they are doing some PR things in between those two...(I will be there for the TA sleepover on the Vista - and the naming ceremony and the Carrie Underwood thing) and are you hanging around in New York for that time? Be interested in hearing about that. I will look and see what pics I have for the Havana pool area.

We had late seating in the forward (off the lobby) dining room (single floor). The aft dining room is two floors and is where MTD and some assigned are ( as well as a bar in the middle). There is some talk about flipping these dining rooms when she comes over and possible some other changes.

It was American table menu, but the local dish (tied to the port of call) was more flared to the home Europeon market. Their head brew master was doing tours (it is attached to the Red Frog - glass wall).

The clientele was less families but that said, I was surprised as to how many kids there were on our cruise. More of a regular Carnival cruise clientele.

The bull ring has a dome and the restaurants are all around the top ring. The inside is open in the middle with things along the walls going down with the center open. I thought it was pretty neat. Ask away....:)

2zzmc6h.jpg

o6fs7r.jpg

Hey there Jimbo - i hope you can clear something up. Your comments above are regarding the Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore which is to be found in Rome near the Piazza Republic but quite a ways away from the Pantheon. Your picture was taken in the Basilica S Maria Sopra Minerva which is just around the corner from the Pantheon. With such a detailed review from a cruise that happened over 3 weeks ago it is not surprising to have a little confusion but perhaps it is just me that is missing something. Love your pictures and want to see the real thing so I am looking forward to your clarification.

It does not take a lot to confuse me....;) you are correct wrong picture for the right place. The diagram belongs to Minerva...in my head it was Maggiore. I took pictures from both places....Sorry about that..

Edited by jimbo5544

All three vans showed up together at the main entrance to the Vatican. We quickly met our guide. She was extremely knowledgeable and clearly loved her job and had been doing this for about 8 years. The last time we waited in the long (and I do mean long line). With a private tour they take you right in, she purchases our tickets and gets our headsets (which she will be talking to us on as part of the tour) and made our way in. It was hot, some of the Vatican has A/C and some does not. Our group was probably a little too large for one group and we had way, way to much stuff to cover for our time we had allocated. All that being said, it was very much like the rest of the day....a good flavor.

Edited by jimbo5544

Before I post pictures, a couple of other points of interest. The first is I use the health app on my iPhone to track how much I walk during a day (much like a fitbit does). The goal for any day (my goal) is 10,000 steps and 8 flights of stairs. This day, which was clearly our busiest I totaled 27,376 steps and 29 flights of stairs (there are lots of stairs in the Vatican and this is something people with mobility issues should def take into consideration.

In a perfect would, I think I could easily spend a couple of days in the Vatican. This time was more rushed than the last, and to be honest, I felt guilty pushing our group along (we really had no choice). I also had mixed feelings with the line jumping aspect, but it is commonly accepted and.....it works. Lastly, I will only post pictures that will give the viewer a glimpse of the tremendous amount of thing s to see there, I simply cannot do it justice, take that for what it is worth.