Vista 7/1/16 8 day Med Review - a Vista like no other

jimbo5544

Jimbo thank for the review. We leave 2 weeks from today!!

We have added Revello to our tour in Naples with Rome in Limo! I wasn't sure about it but after seeing your pictures I'm so excited. I am a little nervous about the drive down now :eek::eek:

Also we are seeing the Cinque Terra so I'm anxious to see your review. We have decided to do a Carnival excursion for that one since it's so faraway.

Vista here we come!!!!

{{{{{Lastly, you never have to apologize for being wordy on any of my posts.... Consider you a friend, and who knows, we may sail together some day.}}}} By Jimbo...

Thanks so much,,,me too..I feel this way about quite a few here..praying for day things are more fluid to join different people..good groups and solo...I like both.

Plus the way you do this with big print..like many of our beloved reviewers...people can sail on through...anyways it is so exciting I am in tears..to remember the joy of it...and see where I missed or saw a tiny bit of...lol..ok can't wait for "the rest of the story" but I don't want it to end either...lol..it is all such a huge joy...freedom...good fortune..lovely places..just all of it. You may like a Costa cruise sometime for the food difference and it is good..but it has been a LONG time for that too...and we have this MSC now...but on trips like this you can eat lunch there...so cool..you did a very sweet job of that with the tours...I know how it goes as I have a dear friend TA...not in touch as much now..but the LOGISTICS..so cool you are going over that to give folks something to hang their hat on......Sarah

Edited by sjn911

Jimbo thank for the review. We leave 2 weeks from today!!

We have added Revello to our tour in Naples with Rome in Limo! I wasn't sure about it but after seeing your pictures I'm so excited. I am a little nervous about the drive down now :eek::eek:

Also we are seeing the Cinque Terra so I'm anxious to see your review. We have decided to do a Carnival excursion for that one since it's so faraway.

Vista here we come!!!!

I think you will enjoy it. Don't worry about the drive so much, the driver and guide were just fine. Our excursion to Cinque Terra was with Carnival as well for the same reasons. Hope to get to discussing it this weekend. Stay tuned....and enjoy the Vista!

{{{{{Lastly, you never have to apologize for being wordy on any of my posts.... Consider you a friend, and who knows, we may sail together some day.}}}} By Jimbo...

Thanks so much,,,me too..I feel this way about quite a few here..praying for day things are more fluid to join different people..good groups and solo...I like both.

Plus the way you do this with big print..like many of our beloved reviewers...people can sail on through...anyways it is so exciting I am in tears..to remember the joy of it...and see where I missed or saw a tiny bit of...lol..ok can't wait for "the rest of the story" but I don't want it to end either...lol..it is all such a huge joy...freedom...good fortune..lovely places..just all of it. You may like a Costa cruise sometime for the food difference and it is good..but it has been a LONG time for that too...and we have this MSC now...but on trips like this you can eat lunch there...so cool..you did a very sweet job of that with the tours...I know how it goes as I have a dear friend TA...not in touch as much now..but the LOGISTICS..so cool you are going over that to give folks something to hang their hat on......Sarah

Thanks so much for the kind words. We sailed MSC in the Caribbean when they first came over on the Orchestra. They were struggling at the time with making a European cruise line fit the U.S. market. From what I read, the Divinia is doing much better. I think they have 4 to 6 new builds coming out ( wow).

Edited by jimbo5544

Upon returning to the ship we changed and went by the pool for a while and then we went down to clarify a couple of things for our group at guest services and ran into Matt in the lobby and introduced him to Flat Stanley.

25up4l3.jpg

I decided to go to the "official" Carnival/CC meet and greet which was set up in the Liquid Lounge. When I got there, they had set up water and lemon aide and cookies. There ended up being 4 of us there :( From Carnival was someone under the Hotel director (I can't remember his title) who introduced himself as Mischele (a guy) whom I think is the Carnival person who posts on these boards (I may be wrong....I just thought of that after the fact). I did have a discussion with him and said while it was progress in doing the M&G's, the feedback I would give him was that the day and time just plain did not work.

He stepped away to make a call and I was talking with one of the others that showed up and then he came back and said Matt was coming down (which he did). I had a good conversation with Matt about the M&G and the scheduling.

i got the impression (and it was just that an impression) that the day and time is/was set by corporate and that it is fleet wide. I may be reading into the conversation more then there was, but I sensed some friction (probably not the right word) of what Carnival impression of CC as well.

During the talk time I had with Matt, he mentioned a couple of things that I will bring up here. The first was our sailing was the most people to date for the Vista (mainly due to more than two per cabin). I was actually surprised

with how many children I saw on the ship for our sailing. We also discussed the Havana Cabana area and cabins. I asked him a couple of questions. The first was (we had someone in our group staying in one of these rooms and had gathered the info from her) that were they planning on getting rid of the second mag card (for the slider door) and using the sail and sign card. He said they were working on that (frankly I do not see how it would work but.....). I also asked about enforcing the pool (access to Havana guests only) area during the daytime till 5 pm when it opens up to all guests. He smiled and said it was not much of a challenge so far but that they were still working out the kinks. He also said they are looking at extending the hours of exclusive use to 7 PM, which seems fair to me (if I was paying significantly more for the room - which I am in April next year), we will see how that all goes.

The last thing he mentioned that the first couple of sailings were more subdued and our sailing felt more like a normal Carnival Caribbean crowd.

By then it time to get ready for dinner and I headed back to our room to get ready.

Still here enjoying your review Jimbo!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks the feedback is good, there are times when I think I put everyone to sleep....;)

Edited by jimbo5544

Still here enjoying your review Jimbo!

I see by your countdown clock you are sailing on the Magic, she is on our short list since the dry dock and additions and the move of home port. Was trying for next year.....but my dance card is full (unless I hit powerball).

Edited by jimbo5544

Two things of note about dinner that evening, both related to American Table. These are good things. One of the "new" apps was fried oysters. I do not remember seeing it on the menu for the two ships that we had previously sailed on with AT. They were outstanding. The second was a new (at least as far as I know) dessert. It was like a mousse with popcorn (yup, you heard that right) on top with a caramel drizzle over that. Pretty darn good.

Since I am jumping around a little (at least in my head), I wanted to spend some time to talk a little about entertainment on the Vista. I loved it, to the point where I would say it was the best I have ever experienced on a cruise ship. The two shows we saw were outstanding, interactive with the crowd and I really enjoyed both of them.

Velvet Vibe was great, we saw them in different settings and they were a joy to listen to. The violin players that entertained in the atrium were a breath of fresh air, and it goes on. I know that Carnival has taken some heat in this area, but if this is where they are going, I am happy with it.

The two performers (we only saw one of each set) were very good. The first one we saw was Happy Cole (who has been around for a while) and the second was a female whom I cannot remember her name. Both were entertaining, Happy's show pushes the R rating some but none the less very funny.

When I was talking to Matt at the M&G he said that because it was July 4th, they were going to do a deck party at 10:30 by the main pool. I mentioned to him that we had sailed with him on the Breeze on a NYE cruise and that I was very impressed with what they did (it was kind of like Times Square in the Caribbean). He laughed and said come on up and see and tell me afterwards what you think......so we did.

When we got up there it was packed. Matt was dressed crazy (as was all his team) in red sweatband, blue shorts and white tank top.....quite impressive. The DJ got everyone fired up and then Matt was leading people in some crazy line dances. It culminated when he pulled some 87 year old grand mother up onto the bench he was standing on next to the pool (two guys stood on her sides to more or less protect here) and got her to twerk with him to the music. Another visual of this cruise I won't soon forget.

Going back to Messina for a mo.... You had an early start... Was it easy enough to get breakfast and get off the ship to meet your van?

I've organised 2 vans (2 lots of 8) and a bit wary of asking too early because of concerns of 4000 people disembarking! (Yes I know not everyone leaves at the same time.... but it will still be a lot of people!) Is it just one disembarkation point? Could you mark on a google map where vista docked?

This is where I docked in April. Helps to get bearings! Did the vans meet you in the port car park or outside? The taxis were all inside when we were here before - but with only 270 passengers it wasnt a big deal! We just caught the train which I'd have done the same this time but for it being a Sunday.

Did you reach the summit of Etna? Cable car? Was it smoking? It was when we were, but we just remained in Taormina and did the amphitheatre and shopping.

Same for Napoli? Booked a van for 14... Not been to Naples before and was tempted to catch the train to Pompeii as its so easy... But it was crowded enough and too hot in April, I expect it will be too packed and unbearable in August. Plus the tour takes in Vesuvius (as well as Herculaneum). So Road is the only way. Booked the transport for 8.15 but unsure about getting off in good time and getting breakfast!

Gotta ask.... What is this flat stanley drawing? Is it sort of a travelling mascot? Ive seen people taking teddies and having photos with that... but a drawing is a new one!

Was it better that expected BTW?

Going back to Messina for a mo.... You had an early start... Was it easy enough to get breakfast and get off the ship to meet your van?

I've organised 2 vans (2 lots of 8) and a bit wary of asking too early because of concerns of 4000 people disembarking! (Yes I know not everyone leaves at the same time.... but it will still be a lot of people!) Is it just one disembarkation point? Could you mark on a google map where vista docked?

This is where I docked in April. Helps to get bearings! Did the vans meet you in the port car park or outside? The taxis were all inside when we were here before - but with only 270 passengers it wasnt a big deal! We just caught the train which I'd have done the same this time but for it being a Sunday.

Did you reach the summit of Etna? Cable car? Was it smoking? It was when we were, but we just remained in Taormina and did the amphitheatre and shopping.

Same for Napoli? Booked a van for 14... Not been to Naples before and was tempted to catch the train to Pompeii as its so easy... But it was crowded enough and too hot in April, I expect it will be too packed and unbearable in August. Plus the tour takes in Vesuvius (as well as Herculaneum). So Road is the only way. Booked the transport for 8.15 but unsure about getting off in good time and getting breakfast!

Gotta ask.... What is this flat stanley drawing? Is it sort of a travelling mascot? Ive seen people taking teddies and having photos with that... but a drawing is a new one!

It was easy getting an early start. Most people were doing the same thing. Not as busy as debarkation day but "solid" I would say. It was the busiest port to meet vans. Their was a fenced in area where they all met. Ours was a little different, we started with a walking tour of the church near there and then the van met us. I will see if I can mark the spot where we docked. I may be confusing it some, but I think that in Messina there were two debarkation points from deck zero.

We did not have enough time to go to the summit (it would have taken almost the day to do so), we stopped at the "station" at the 2700 ft mark. We had gotten together as a group before to discuss excursions and voted to stop where we stopped to spend more time in Taromina. Etna was smoking, it was pretty cool.

Same debarkation process for Naples, maybe we were a little more used to it. I think you will be fine for breakfast, some in our group did room service and we all met up in the Lobby.

Flat Stanley is a project one of our grand daughters got from school for what they did during the summer. You take him along to wherever you go and report back when they go back to school.

She took it a step further in asking us to do it to report back to her (not for her school project but to keep her informed of where we travel to. When we started to bring up out and do pics, the rest of the group embraced it as well, so yes, it sort of became a mascot, but that was not the plan, just sort of happened that way.

Was what better, the whole cruise or a particular port of call? I am not sure I understood the question.

Edited by jimbo5544

I don't know how to mark where we docked, but when I google mapped Messina and go the actual aerial photo of the port, three is a ship that was docked there when they took the photo, that is exactly where we docked when there on the Vista.

Was what better, the whole cruise or a particular port of call? I am not sure I understood the question.

Sorry.... I meant the cruise on Vista in general

I had problems marking with a pin too.... but I zoomed in to the exact place we were, so sounds like it'll be the same spot. Handy to know the Vans will be in the car park right outisde the ship.

It was easy getting an early start. Most people were doing the same thing. Not as busy as debarkation day but "solid" I would say. It was the busiest port to meet vans. Their was a fenced in area where they all met. Ours was a little different, we started with a walking tour of the church near there and then the van met us. I will see if I can mark the spot where we docked. I may be confusing it some, but I think that in Messina there were two debarkation points from deck zero.

We did not have enough time to go to the summit (it would have taken almost the day to do so), we stopped at the "station" at the 2700 ft mark. We had gotten together as a group before to discuss excursions and voted to stop where we stopped to spend more time in Taromina. Etna was smoking, it was pretty cool.

Same debarkation process for Naples, maybe we were a little more used to it. I think you will be fine for breakfast, some in our group did room service and we all met up in the Lobby.

Flat Stanley is a project one of our grand daughters got from school for what they did during the summer. You take him along to wherever you go and report back when they go back to school.

She took it a step further in asking us to do it to report back to her (not for her school project but to keep her informed of where we travel to. When we started to bring up out and do pics, the rest of the group embraced it as well, so yes, it sort of became a mascot, but that was not the plan, just sort of happened that way.

Deck zero? Is this as it sounds lower than deck 1 ? Certainly makes life easier if they have mutliple exit points.

m73x20.jpg

You can make out the coach parking bays from the google image, so I'm sure its the same.

We didnt do anything in Messina apart from walk to the central train station which is about a 10 minute walk and very easy to find. Certainly worth using if not travelling on a Sunday.

For Etna, I originally wanted to go there rather than the Godfather tour, but the realisation we wouldn't get to the summit meant it was worthwhile. ie I wanted to be able to look inside the crater if it was possible. I'll be doing this for Vesuvius, but wont quite be the same!

It was good looking at both Volcanoes though in April. Did you manage to see Stromboli on the way to Naples? I was hoping Etna or Stromboli might be erupting whilst there. Fingers crossed for this time.

Is room service chargeable? (ie what you order and is there anywhere that shows what is available?) I'd prefer to eat in the restaurant, but sometimes its convenient I guess.

Thanks for the flat stanley explanation, which is pretty much what I thought it might be. At my kids first school they had a teddy bear that used to got on vacation quite a bit and had his own noticeboard in the school with photos of his travels.

Sorry.... I meant the cruise on Vista in general

I had problems marking with a pin too.... but I zoomed in to the exact place we were, so sounds like it'll be the same spot. Handy to know the Vans will be in the car park right outisde the ship.

Deck zero? Is this as it sounds lower than deck 1 ? Certainly makes life easier if they have mutliple exit points.

m73x20.jpg

You can make out the coach parking bays from the google image, so I'm sure its the same.

We didnt do anything in Messina apart from walk to the central train station which is about a 10 minute walk and very easy to find. Certainly worth using if not travelling on a Sunday.

For Etna, I originally wanted to go there rather than the Godfather tour, but the realisation we wouldn't get to the summit meant it was worthwhile. ie I wanted to be able to look inside the crater if it was possible. I'll be doing this for Vesuvius, but wont quite be the same!

It was good looking at both Volcanoes though in April. Did you manage to see Stromboli on the way to Naples? I was hoping Etna or Stromboli might be erupting whilst there. Fingers crossed for this time.

Is room service chargeable? (ie what you order and is there anywhere that shows what is available?) I'd prefer to eat in the restaurant, but sometimes its convenient I guess.

Thanks for the flat stanley explanation, which is pretty much what I thought it might be. At my kids first school they had a teddy bear that used to got on vacation quite a bit and had his own noticeboard in the school with photos of his travels.

Room service is free, most tip a dollar or two when it is delivered. There is a menu in the room (not full service but it worked for the ones that did it). They used to go closer to Stromboli, last time (10years ago on the Liberty) we went pretty close and it was fuming pretty good, looked quiet this time and we were farther away. Last time Stromboli was pretty spectacular. Hopefully you will get a better show than we did.

I see by your countdown clock you are sailing on the Magic, she is on our short list since the dry dock and additions and the move of home port. Was trying for next year.....but my dance card is full (unless I hit powerball).

Yes. We booked the Magic as soon as we could once we found out she was moving to Port Canaveral. Can't wait! Maybe I'll even do a review. Lol

Yes. We booked the Magic as soon as we could once we found out she was moving to Port Canaveral. Can't wait! Maybe I'll even do a review. Lol

One of our favorite ships, and that was before they added the rest of 2.0. Go for the review!;)

Room service is free, most tip a dollar or two when it is delivered. There is a menu in the room (not full service but it worked for the ones that did it). They used to go closer to Stromboli, last time (10years ago on the Liberty) we went pretty close and it was fuming pretty good, looked quiet this time and we were farther away. Last time Stromboli was pretty spectacular. Hopefully you will get a better show than we did.

Room Service is on the ship where tipping is normal and expected. We are wondering about meals and private excursions. We have heard that tips are not expected at restaurants. We are not sure about tipping for our tours arranged through Joebanana. I see that used them during your trip. Did you tip the drivers and if so approx how much do you think is reasonable. We tend to tip at the high end at home and on the ship but we are thinking that wouldn't be right while in the ports.

Room Service is on the ship where tipping is normal and expected. We are wondering about meals and private excursions. We have heard that tips are not expected at restaurants. We are not sure about tipping for our tours arranged through Joebanana. I see that used them during your trip. Did you tip the drivers and if so approx how much do you think is reasonable. We tend to tip at the high end at home and on the ship but we are thinking that wouldn't be right while in the ports.

Excellent question. We were really at a loss on how much to tip the drivers/guides. In the end we made recommendations to our group and left it up to them. We pretty much did 5 euro's (for each driver and guide). In Naples, I thought our guide was outstanding so most gave him 10 Euro's. For what it is worth, they def were not surprised by tips. Hope this helps.

It was an open air restaurant with absolutely fantastic views. There was no menu, we got what "Mama" cooked. The rest of the family served us. Wine and water flowed as well, here are some more pics.....

nvectd.jpg

It has the name on the bread basket:D

Loving this review. Thank you.