Vista 7/1/16 8 day Med Review - a Vista like no other

jimbo5544

Great review and great pics! I thought the photo of you and your wife was very well done and I was holding my breath when you told what transpired with the two "lost" sisters! The point you made about the different dining times made sense. Having to make sure early diners are gone and tables ready adds stress whereas late dining doesn't have that issue. Never really thought about it since we always have late dining.

Thanks for taking the time writing this review!

Great review - we are sailing out of Barcelona in October and reading reviews like yours helps in planning and creating excitement!

I do have a couple of questions... on your cruise, where were the passengers from? Curious about the mix of nationalities! Also, how dressy was elegant night?:p

Great review & I enjoyed all of your pictures.

I know how frustrating it can be having to wait for someone who didn't listen/ understand about where to meet at the end of a tour. It happen to me while in DC nearing the rush hour. We had to wait on a lady & her grandson.

I was very glad to read, you did look after the 2 elderly ladies & they returned to the ship safely. Had you not returned for them, would they have known who to contact for help. I don't know you or the 2 sisters. Thank You!! for looking out for them :) :)

Great review and great pics! I thought the photo of you and your wife was very well done and I was holding my breath when you told what transpired with the two "lost" sisters! The point you made about the different dining times made sense. Having to make sure early diners are gone and tables ready adds stress whereas late dining doesn't have that issue. Never really thought about it since we always have late dining.

Thanks for taking the time writing this review!

Thanks for the nice words on the review and pic of us. Trust me, I was holding my breath when it happened. Glad you are enjoying my review, it is winding down, probably wrap up in a couple of days. I have enjoyed bringing the review here. It def helps me keep it current in my mind.

Great review - we are sailing out of Barcelona in October and reading reviews like yours helps in planning and creating excitement!

I do have a couple of questions... on your cruise, where were the passengers from? Curious about the mix of nationalities! Also, how dressy was elegant night?:p

Thanks for the kudo's on the review. Glad I could help with the eh excitement factor. I went into detail on the ports and our planning aspect in hopes it would help others (either in what to do or not).

There were other nationalities, but to be honest less than I had expected. If I were to guess I would guess 80 to 90 percent American, then next would be Canadian, UK and significantly less of the rest. I was also surprised that as many people dressed up for the cruise elegant nights. Not as much as a Caribbean cruise, but still a lot.

Great review & I enjoyed all of your pictures.

I know how frustrating it can be having to wait for someone who didn't listen/ understand about where to meet at the end of a tour. It happen to me while in DC nearing the rush hour. We had to wait on a lady & her grandson.

I was very glad to read, you did look after the 2 elderly ladies & they returned to the ship safely. Had you not returned for them, would they have known who to contact for help. I don't know you or the 2 sisters. Thank You!! for looking out for them :) :)

We make a point of telling all our group cruisers to take along the Fun Times which has the local Carnival contact name and number on it. I honestly doubt they would have been able to get back to the ship. I would not have been able to look myself in the eye if I left them. Thanks for the nice words!

Hey Jimbo!! Welcome back. Really looking forward to this review!!

Hi Jimbo and Jamman I just pulled the trigger with a friend I met on a different line, She was going Solo... well NO more Nov 5th Here I come 11 days,,, Been dreaming of this since last summer... Now to read your review! :D Yes Jeff leaving Hubby home on this one, But hopefully this Jan he will be with me on our 14 day winter cruise out of NY.. Mama just needed some R&R

Hi Jimbo and Jamman I just pulled the trigger with a friend I met on a different line, She was going Solo... well NO more Nov 5th Here I come 11 days,,, Been dreaming of this since last summer... Now to read your review! :D Yes Jeff leaving Hubby home on this one, But hopefully this Jan he will be with me on our 14 day winter cruise out of NY.. Mama just needed some R&R

You will love the Vista. Glad you enjoyed my review. We will be getting off other when you get on. We were invited to a sleepover on the ship in New York on the 4th and getting off when you get on.

To be honest, from my perspective, I enjoyed the people as much as most anything else. I always had a view of the people from France as Parisians. Not to insult anybody, but that was not all that positive from my view. What we found here was something totally different (and better).
A friend of mine who married a woman from Brittany once told me that judging the French based on the Parisians is like judging all of New York State based on New York City. We never had any problems in Paris when we visited - it's just a faster pace, just like New York City. I agree with you that the people in Provence are really wonderful. My French is pretty limited (our guide served as our translator in the sandwich shop in St. Remy), but everyone was very welcoming and helpful.

I've really enjoyed your review. We're just a week back from our 10-day Athens-Barcelona cruise and I appreciate being able to re-live some of our experiences. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

Hey Barb!! Always good to hear from you. You go girl!! I am so jealous. Vacation fund wise we had to choose between the 11 day Vista and the 14 day Pride repo. The Pride won out, but if we knew that you would be on the Vista we "might" have changed our minds :D Make sure you post a review!! Sorry for the hijack Jimbo!

Caught up again, so sweet of you and glad it worked out with the ladies. Oh boy...people you care for and it being the kind of trip and fundraiser it was and all efforts to make is a nice but..somewhat affordable pre-planned deal...good on you...you know nice people stress more on these things but so glad that ladies "got over it" and you took care of them..brownie points in heaven LOL. I still remember many things from those back to back tours..now 36 year ago...and this is all bringing so much back. It is so cool that you liked it...some people just can't get into the groove..I was so fortunate to go first with school..everyone is surely enjoying this to the max...you picked a great set of pics and they really show the beauty and difference in the "French and Italian" feel. So many areas and so many different things...in all countries.. You do have to kind of get in with the Paris folks..and people from Provence are more low key...but you will attract the good ones everywhere...I loved the churches too..and the people working in them...you show any interest and you get amazing enlightenment in many ways...so great a time here Jimbo and all the clan here is truly enjoying....this is a real trip and dream by chair review...thanks a million.

Edited by sjn911

A friend of mine who married a woman from Brittany once told me that judging the French based on the Parisians is like judging all of New York State based on New York City. We never had any problems in Paris when we visited - it's just a faster pace, just like New York City. I agree with you that the people in Provence are really wonderful. My French is pretty limited (our guide served as our translator in the sandwich shop in St. Remy), but everyone was very welcoming and helpful.

I've really enjoyed your review. We're just a week back from our 10-day Athens-Barcelona cruise and I appreciate being able to re-live some of our experiences. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

I am sure you are right, both about France as a whole and Parisians. We have added Paris to our personal buck list. I am sure, based upon waht we have experienced we will enjoy it as well.

I am glad you enjoyed my review, I have enjoyed bringing it to you, a little more before we part ways.... Thanks for the nice words, it has been my pleasure.

Caught up again, so sweet of you and glad it worked out with the ladies. Oh boy...people you care for and it being the kind of trip and fundraiser it was and all efforts to make is a nice but..somewhat affordable pre-planned deal...good on you...you know nice people stress more on these things but so glad that ladies "got over it" and you took care of them..brownie points in heaven LOL. I still remember many things from those back to back tours..now 36 year ago...and this is all bringing so much back. It is so cool that you liked it...some people just can't get into the groove..I was so fortunate to go first with school..everyone is surely enjoying this to the max...you picked a great set of pics and they really show the beauty and difference in the "French and Italian" feel. So many areas and so many different things...in all countries.. You do have to kind of get in with the Paris folks..and people from Provence are more low key...but you will attract the good ones everywhere...I loved the churches too..and the people working in them...you show any interest and you get amazing enlightenment in many ways...so great a time here Jimbo and all the clan here is truly enjoying....this is a real trip and dream by chair review...thanks a million.

Thanks Sarah! Funny you say that about brownie points in heaven. As I was taking deep breaths and saying a prayer of thanks, my wife said the same thing. I will probably wrap up this weekend, I have so enjoyed doing all my reviews but by far this one sets the bar for me from an enjoyment perspective. Thanks again for all the nice things you say! They mean a lot.

Hey Barb!! Always good to hear from you. You go girl!! I am so jealous. Vacation fund wise we had to choose between the 11 day Vista and the 14 day Pride repo. The Pride won out, but if we knew that you would be on the Vista we "might" have changed our minds :D Make sure you post a review!! Sorry for the hijack Jimbo!

Not a problem, any time Jeff!

Thanks Sarah! Funny you say that about brownie points in heaven. As I was taking deep breaths and saying a prayer of thanks, my wife said the same thing. I will probably wrap up this weekend, I have so enjoyed doing all my reviews but by far this one sets the bar for me from an enjoyment perspective. Thanks again for all the nice things you say! They mean a lot.

Thanks so much for all of the pictures and information. We have just 12 more days to wait for our sailing and everyone is getting very excited. The five first time cruisers in our family group have learned a lot by reading your review. Best wishes to you and happy sailing in the future.

Thanks so much for all of the pictures and information. We have just 12 more days to wait for our sailing and everyone is getting very excited. The five first time cruisers in our family group have learned a lot by reading your review. Best wishes to you and happy sailing in the future.

Enjoy your cruise! Quite a cruise for first timers, thanks for the nice thoughts.

On Thursday afternoon we received n invitation to the Diamond event which for this cruise was to be the Dr Suess Breakfast with the captain and some of his Senior Staff. In the past we have had cocktail receptions, invited to see quarterly staff awards (which were really nice to see, tea on the bridge. This was fairly unique. We have had the pleasure of taking our grand kids to the Suess breakfast in the past and while to be honest we weer surprised with this, we decided to attend and replied to the RSVP.

Also on Thursday when we went to the Platinum/Diamond return guest party, two people specifically asked us if we were attending. I said yes, and one mentioned that if we wanted to bring someone (I think he meant a family member), to bring them along. One of my fellow Knights friend traveling with , Frank, is about the most outgoing person I have ever met. It has become a joke, but he will say hello and have a conversation with well over a hundred people on a typical cruise (and this one was no exception). From this I have to say we have learned amazing things about our fellow cruisers. So when we were asked if we wanted to bring someone, the wife and I immediately looked at each other and at the same time said "Frank". Not only that, but Frank is an early riser (not so much for his wife) like we are and frequently would sit with us and have coffee or more in the mornings. So Frank would be joining us this morning for breakfast with the captain and staff. In addition, we would not be getting to port till 11, it made perfect sense.

Other guests were doing the Suess breakfast, but we were seated with the captain, the chief engineer, the doctor and 4 other Diamond members, one of which we had met the previous afternoon at the Diamond/Platinum reception.

The wife and and Frank were seated next to the chief engineer and we had a pretty good discussion on all the new and different things that the Vista has the other ships don't have and also abut the break in and sea trials for a new ship. These events are very casual and not stuffy at all and frequently, the end result is something that I very much enjoy. It is not all that often to have the opportunity to sit down with these people and I find they enjoy to social interaction as well.

Now to a funny story.

Te doctor obviously had never been to a Suess breakfast and he unknowingly ordered green eggs and ham. I wish I had a camera to record the look on his face when they set the green eggs and ham down in front of him. He looked at the dish and the waiter and said....what is that, point at teh green eggs? She smiled and said "green eggs and ham"...he looked down again and said "please bring me toast".

After breakfast, we went up and changed and went out to the pool. It was still early and we enjoyed the sun and pool and as we approached land I said, let's just stay on the ship. We had only planned on walking around the down town area any, so we did.

After everybody debarked, the wife and her sister wanted to try the Skyride. The wait was about 30 minutes (obviously we were not the only ones that stayed on the ship). Here are some pics from that. Flat Stanly enjoyed the ride as well.

zjfds1.jpg

2vwgvn5.jpg

2rfwnf5.jpg

2nuk8q9.jpg

This came out of No Where, with my friend asking me to join her.... I was going through such withdrawl.. and now I feel so much better knowing I have like 88 days before this cruise instead of the 187 for my orgional one, that were still taking.... Tell Patty I said hello.... This is going to be my big 60 so what a celebration I am giving myself! Will be sitting on the beach in Antiga and than Dinner in the steak house,

OK, time for the end run on my review. As I was putting everything in order, and I neglected to post this picture from our Diamond event Suess breakfast. Flat Stanley loved it. Pretty colorful (for those who have not seen it).

2lthapx.jpg

Edited by jimbo5544