Upcoming Dream cruise concerns

volfan4ever

Have been seeing reviews from recent Dream cruisers concerning "black smoke from the engine room", "cutting ports of call short" and "rooms being uncomfortably warm". Is this an on going problem ? Do we need to pack a small fan ?

I can't speak to the smoke but I always travel with a small fan. Cabin temperature is subjective even among cabin mates.

Agree. We sailed Dream in May. I found our balcony room chilly. DH found it too warm. The kids had an inside room across the hall that I found freezing. DH thought their room was just right.

Haven't been on the Dream yet (48 days!), but every cabin we've had across three ships and five cruises has been way, way too hot. I used to request a fan from Guest Services, but they started getting a little snippy about it, so now I bring my own. No way could I sleep without one.

My last 3 Dream cruises didn't have any a/c issues at all. Our room location is always a lido balcony if that matters. As for ports getting cut short, the Dream did experience a propulsion problem but has been fixed and over the past month no ports were cut short. Last but not least, I don't think I've ever been on a cruise were I didn't see the black smoke whether they were staring the engines or right in the middle of a sea day. You can relax and enjoy your upcoming cruise.

Edited by Podna's

Just returned from the Dream in a Cove balcony on Main deck. Cabin was warm entire week - temp was 74-75 but met their "standards". Glad we brought fans with us. Suggest you do the same, just in case you need it. No issues with smoke and we actually had additional time added to one of our ports of call.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Princess Bette

I just got off the Dream (7/10) - also in a Main Cove Balcony. I was midship/forward. I didn't have any issues with the room temperature, also no issues with ports being cut short. The only issue was with my cabin mate who kept trying to bump up the thermostat on me.

There are big crowds, even though I expected that going in, after 7 days you are ready to be away from people for a while.

Have been seeing reviews from recent Dream cruisers concerning "black smoke from the engine room", "cutting ports of call short" and "rooms being uncomfortably warm". Is this an on going problem ? Do we need to pack a small fan ?

Reviews as in plural?? How do they even know where the engine room is?

as we sail in 39 days I'm curious as to where your reading your reviews since I have been on here every day for a month looking at every dream post and have not seen anything remotely close to that in posts?:confused:

Reviews as in plural?? How do they even know where the engine room is?

They probably meant coming from the whale tail which is the exhaust from the engines.

I sailed on the Dream for Father's Day and while we were at sea, the ship came to a complete stop because of black smoke in the engine room. My parents and MIL 2 rooms were hot as hell at night

We had a spa balcony and the cabin was cool enough, not cold, but comfortable. No ports cut short. I did see some black soot on deck a few times, but nothing out of the ordinary.

We did the Magic recently in another spa balcony with the same results.

Was on board 3 weeks ago for the stop in the ocean due to the smoke in the engine room. Even with the stop we had full time in all the ports. We were a little late to Jamaica but stayed late to make up for it. The ship was at full speed the entire trip making it a little bouncy. As for the air...we had an inside cabin and it was comfortably cool and not cold and not hot. We did pack a small fan for air movement and noise though. I did notice on a previous cruise that the sun coming in on balconies and the windows do make the rooms noticeably warmer and take longer to cool down. Also by leaving a door open on the balcony you are taking all the cool air from your cabin and putting a strain on the air system. So those cabins are going to be usually warmer than an inside one.

Got off the Dream, July 3. Had no issues with port times being cut short, no "black smoke " problems and our Cove Balcony 2256, was very cool. I always pack a small fan but honestly, I had to turn it off at times the room was so cool.

Crowds were certainly noticeable throughout the Lido deck dining options but hardly noticeable other places on the ship, except of course the pool area which was a total nightmare to us.

Was not completely "sold" on the American Table Menu,but did enjoy several of the choices. The Steakhouse was excellent and we will certainly make a habit of eating there at least once when we travel on the Dream. The Steakhouse options for the additional $20 charge in the MRD were not comparable to the items served in the Steakhouse, in our opinion. Enjoyed the Sea Day Brunch option very much. The Caramel cheesecake offered on that menu was delicious.

Table mates had a bad experience in Cozumel when their 19 year old son left the enclosed port shopping area to locate scooters to rent. He was attacked by 4 young men, his ship card & wallet stolen, he was beaten up and his shirt torn off. This was the only incident that we were made aware of but I just wanted everyone to be mindful of their surroundings.

FFTF was worth the $ for my husband and myself. Loved the quick embarkation and having our bags delivered immediately. Loved the FFTF disembarkation as well and the special line at Guests services. We were off the ship dropped of by shuttle to our car at the Fulton garage and driving out of NOLA by 8:45.

Pre Cruise was at Doubletree by Hilton on Canal. Great location with easy access to street cars. Took advantage of UBER and that worked really well too. Ate at great places in NOLA. Had a great time and have just booked a BTB for Thanksgiving 2017.

After 40 cruises, I can honestly say that we have never been on a cruise that we didn't enjoy. All cruises are not created equal however they all have the potential to provide a great vacation and to allow for great memories!

Just got off the Dream Sunday the 17th. Cabin 11214 was very cool/cold.;) Cabin 11216 used a fan to maintain comfort. We made all ports without issue and were in Cozumel from 0800 to 1800. Maximum ship speed that I observed on the TV ship info was was 20.5 knts. We made all ports without issue. We even turned around on our first full day at sea after leaving our last port Mahogany Bay to drop off a passenger needing medical attention in Cozumel. We did not witness dark continuous black smoke coming from the funnel or anywhere else at anytime. Some items on the menu are certainly better than others. All in my group found Little French Key to be the paradise we were looking for in Roatan.

We were on the 7/3 sailing. Our cabin was on deck 2. I suffer from hot flashes and I didn't have a problem at all with the temp. We had a small fan that sat on the counter across from our bed and it kept the temp just right.

On the July 3 cruise, we went to Key West, Freeport and Nassau. Had no problems in any port. Not sure why the above poster is bringing up Cozumel, we didn't go to Cozumel this trip. We did FTTF also and loved it. My bag as well as my sisters made it to our cabin before we did and our Mom's bag was late. We joked that it was because she is from Colorado and the drug dogs were inspecting it closer... lol.

We were on the Dream June 26 - July 3 and had no problems cutting ports short, or black smoke. Our room 9231 was fine temperature-wise for the whole cruise.

It did get rather hot when we were watching the Blackjack Band one night at Ocean Plaza. I don't know what the problem was, but all was well for the rest of the cruise.

No worries! You'll have a blast!!

And I hate to hear about the Cozumel episode with the 19 year old. That's a shame!