Is the outside beverage ban making you look elsewhere??

UPNYGuy

The new rule bugs me a little bit It's not the ban on beverages that gets to me. I wouldn't cancel a cruise over it but it's the fact that if I sail in a suite and am given the UBP as an included perk, most of my non alcoholic beverage choices are not included. I don't drink alcohol and don't see myself trying to consume a bunch of fattening virgin drinks just to get my "free" perk value. It is offensive to be given a perk that is advertised as "ultimate beverage package" that includes "unlimited drinks"....well except for me it covers no drinks and I'll have to pay for each bottle of water, each speciality coffee and each can of soda I consume. My UBP with unlimited drinks is going to add a lot more to my fare. Yes this time I will pay it because those items are things I want on my vacation. I thought about not giving them another $ but I want spa passes, I want spa treatments and some extras on vacation. In addition I'll now be put through some lengthy boarding process to ensure I don't have a bottle of water left over after my long wait for a cable car ride in Santorini? i guess if this is what making more money looks like for NCL yes, I may look for an alternative vacation next time around. Being charged over $6 for every bottle of water I want with my free UBP is pretty darned offensive. I'm happy to pay for my spa passes but $6 plus for a bottle of water and not able to wait in a hot line with a fresh cold water bottle prior to boarding a ship in hot med ports? That sounds like an extreme measure to earn more $.

What does bug me with the UBP on NCL is having to pay the 18% on a "free" perk. Works out to $19 a day. For the non alcoholic beverage pack on Princess last year it was $8 a day and incl canned soda. If i didnt have the perk i would have considered cancelling as i have since seen similar itineraries on other lines for same or less when i tally up the add ons from ncl

Not a loyalist, but it doesn't affect whether I'd pick NCL or another line.

I never understood the allure of hauling heavy cases of water and soda onboard to begin with (not to mention the other crazy stuff people bring with them on cruises), but to each their own.

There's no beverage or food that I couldn't do without, which would cause me to cancel a vacation. Now, if they told me I couldn't bring my hairdryer...that's another story!

The bottom line is this...cruises are more popular than ever - NCL in particular is very popular. Until ships start sailing half-empty, they can pretty much raise prices wherever they want. For every one person who cancels with NCL, there are two or three people behind them to take their place.

Exactly my thoughts. In all our cruises, we have never taken on soda or water, I never saw the need.

For us, NCL gives us exactly what we are looking for. Airfare is generally our deciding factor, so I glance at other cruises departing from NY/NJ, but NCL is still the best for our buck.

Yes, absolutely.

Especially with the euro and pound currencies declining in Europe and such rock-bottom airfares. Just cancelled two future NCL bookings, one of which was a 10 day over Christmas this year, and will be celebrating the holiday in Vienna and London instead. :)

Yes, absolutely.

Especially with the euro and pound currencies declining in Europe and such rock-bottom airfares. Just cancelled two future NCL bookings, one of which was a 10 day over Christmas this year, and will be celebrating the holiday in Vienna and London instead. :)

Are you organizing a group?

:D

Staying on this forum is not staying on NCL.

I made final payment today because I have an incredible rock bottom price....ha ha Ncl

I'll use my last cruise cert at some point

But you can bet I'll book elsewhere either now or near future either before or after I use my next cert

I've booked elsewhere before and have no great love for Ncl or ccl or dcl or princess...however the service on princess was incredible.

Agree. It would be nice if there was a bit of moderation around here.

Moderation? I think there must be a "naughty list" with my name on it, because every time I post either my post gets deleted, or the entire thread does. :mad:

Yes, already booked a cruise with another line instead of the NCL one we were considering.

DH is diabetic & likes the Canada Dry flavored soda water with no sweeteners. I lived in the Caribbean & like to buy coconut soda & mango juice that I can't get here & I find Coke settles a "too much cruise food" tummy. This is a longer cruise & I like the option to bring a can or 2 of soda back onboard

We still look at NCL, but it pushed us out of our comfort zone

no its not. Honestly getting mad about beverages is childish.

you pay a few thousand for a cruise and you want to bring your own 12 pack? stop being cheap. yes I understand the unique situations like diabetics, thats not what I am referring to you. If you prefer coke over pepsi and just cant go a week without it.....stay home.

Edited by Deptacon

We all know that the security story is not the truth, but I don't see that this makes NCL any different than most other big companies.

If they had said that they were stopping allowing people to take water and soda onboard in order to get more people to buy the drinks from them then that really would be a story. I don't recall many other companies doing that either.

The "for your convenience" line isn't one that NCL made up.

The security screen story is not total BS. I work in security. You would be amazed what I can do with cans of liquid..... or what appear to be liquid. Do some research on modern explosives.

The security screen story is not total BS. I work in security. You would be amazed what I can do with cans of liquid..... or what appear to be liquid. Do some research on modern explosives.

No, I wouldn't be amazed at all. I also didn't describe the story as total BS. Someone else did.

Whatever people can do with liquids doesn't mean that this change isn't as much to do with making people buy drinks onboard rather than carry them on.

That wasn't my point anyway. What I was saying is that NCL are by no means unique in using these excuses and , if they were honest then that would make them pretty well unique amongst businesses.

Edited by KeithJenner

No, I wouldn't be amazed at all. I also didn't describe the story as total BS. Someone else did.

Whatever people can do with liquids doesn't mean that this change isn't as much to do with making people buy drinks onboard rather than carry them on.

That wasn't my point anyway. What I was saying is that NCL are by no means unique in using these excuses and , if they were honest then that would make them pretty well unique amongst businesses.

you dont know that. If there is a known gap in security, no matter how small, and the Company does nothing about it they are liable. Thats 100's of millions liable. It might not be about making money it may be about saving money and protecting the company.

Honestly I was suprised NCL and other lines let people do it in the first place.

Edited by Deptacon

you dont know that. If there is a known gap in security, no matter how small, and the Company does nothing about it they are liable. Thats 100's of millions liable. It might not be about making money it may be about saving money and protecting the company.

Absolutely, I don't know that for sure, but the fact that there is still a wine bottle sized gap in the security does point the way a little.

Anyway, it still wasn't my point. Take this up with the person who called it total BS.

We understand all too well.

But the problem here is the BS about "for security" IF THEY STILL ALLOW WINE BOTTLES.

There is a reason that TSA doesn't allow anything over 3 ounces, etc.

NO wine bottles.

THAT is "security".

The other biggie, as we've stated, is NOT NOTIFYING EVERYONE IN A TIMELY FASHION.

There is no excuse for that (other than greed... trying to prevent people cancelling before penalties).

But the problem here is the BS about "for security" IF THEY STILL ALLOW WINE BOTTLES.

NO wine bottles.

THAT is "security".

The other biggie, as we've stated, is NOT NOTIFYING EVERYONE IN A TIMELY FASHION.

There is no excuse for that (other than greed... trying to prevent people cancelling before penalties).

Remember, Wine Bottles can't be a "security risk" since there is a corkage fee. :p:rolleyes: lol

NO wine bottles.

THAT is "security".

then stop cruising. Honestly, if this makes you upset.... don't come on the cruise.

then stop cruising. Honestly, if this makes you upset.... don't come on the cruise.

Thank you.

You are very considerate of other people's concerns.

We are "complaining" on behalf of others.

We were not "caught" by the "delayed batches" sent out after penalties kicked in.

And yes, we are NOT going on the NCL cruises that we just cancelled.

We've already booked other trips.

But the only way to *hope* that NCL (or other vendors/etc.) get the message, in hopes of change (or minimal similar future changes) is to make opinions and decisions known.

I guess if it doesn't affect *you*, then you don't care.

And if you don't like reading the complaints of other people, then go to other threads. It's that simple.

This will affect our decision as we only drink bottled water. Norwegian's UBP program does not include bottled water (Royal Caribbean does). Norwegian charges ten times more for bottled water as compared to Carnival. If they will no longer allow bottled water to be taken onboard, they need to adjust their prices (or include in the UBP plan) in line with the other cruise lines.