beach at grand turks caicos at port

jopal

will be arriving at grand turks caicos july 25 at 100pm and believe we will be only ship in port that day wondering how crowded the beach at the port will be and weather if we will be able to get umbrellas and loungers easy enough and are they free or is there a cost for them and what the cost is or should we go to another beach but do not want to walk very far also wht are costs for food and drinks at the port beach thanks for any help regarding above post

jopal, when you walk off the ship, you first go through a duty free shopping area then out into another area where folks are selling things and some other shops. Walk to the left and you will almost immediately be at Margaritaville. There are lot of trees and chairs and they are both free! As is the swimming pool at Margaritaville. We normally don't stop there but walk a few hundred yards further and stay at Jack's Shack. There you have to rent umbrellas if you want one and chairs as well. About $10 or so for the day. I normally drink beer there and the Turk's Head is a good beer and is about $5 a bottle vs $6 for others. Have not had any mixed drinks from there. If you go there, be sure and visit their website and print a free shot coupon. Local rum and it is pretty decent!

Hope this helps a little! Have a great cruise!

will be arriving at grand turks caicos july 25 at 100pm and believe we will be only ship in port that day wondering how crowded the beach at the port will be and weather if we will be able to get umbrellas and loungers easy enough and are they free or is there a cost for them and what the cost is or should we go to another beach but do not want to walk very far also wht are costs for food and drinks at the port beach thanks for any help regarding above post

Grand Turk is a fabulous port of call. Exit the ship and walk to the end of the pier and you can walk to your immediate left to enter the beach, or walk to your right or straight ahead and either shop or go to Margaritaville. The beach has a lot of trees for shade and the lounge chairs are free and plentiful. It is a beautiful beach but the sand is a little more coarse than some Caribbean beaches. Should you venture into the Margaritaville property (which is great!), you can hang out at their huge pool. There is no fee to enjoy their pool. On the far end of the pool there is an area to walk into the pool at a gradual slope if you like. Margaritaville often has free music poolside sometime during the day. If you would like to shop a bit that is also available without walking. There is a Ron Jon Surf Shop right there along with a Margaritaville gift shop and numerous other smaller shops and local vendors worth exploring right at the port. Enjoy your day in paradise!

The beach at Grand Turk is on both sides of the pier. There is plenty of room and beach chairs. There are so many palm trees at the edge of the beach you could get a chaise near the back and have some shade from the trees.

The beach is rocky on the Margaritaville size, so be careful. The snorkeling is good off the beach. Margaritaville is right there, bit it is expensive!!!!! If you walk down the beach a ways, not too far past the pirate ship replica bar (and Canadian flags *BG*) you will find Jack's Shack...tables with umbrellas, good food, cheaper drinks, Topher the dog, beach volleyball, and the beach! Jack is a excellent host!

They also have a space related display, the Mercury 7 landed off the coast of Grand Turk) on the side of the smaller beach, it is interesting.....and there is a covered area with chaise loungers in it for those who want to feel the heat, but not have the sun directly on them....

Have fun!

Another fan of Jack's Shack here. Look for the free shot of rum coupon online, my favorite is the coconut rum, it's very tasty! They were very friendly and the service was great when we were there, no complaints. Loved being away from the crowds.

My wife's favorite beach. Been there many times. She likes the water, I sit in the shade.

I will sit back and drink rum punch from the local guys walking up and down the beach selling them from a cooler. Mix it right in front of you. 2 glasses for $5. Tip them an extra buck and they will take care of you all day long. Not watered down either.

My wife's favorite beach. Been there many times. She likes the water, I sit in the shade.

I will sit back and drink rum punch from the local guys walking up and down the beach selling them from a cooler. Mix it right in front of you. 2 glasses for $5. Tip them an extra buck and they will take care of you all day long. Not watered down either.

Do they do this on both sides of the peir ? Or is there a specific location for these special drinks??

Thank you in advance

Edited by ttonnka3

I have only gone to the left off the pier, the side the ship is on. Sit there long enough and you will see the local guys selling their drinks. Sometimes they even have a little stand set up on the beach.

Edited by HawkIVette

Another fan of Jack's Shack here. Look for the free shot of rum coupon online, my favorite is the coconut rum, it's very tasty! They were very friendly and the service was great when we were there, no complaints. Loved being away from the crowds.

Agreed. Best decision we made that day.

I would keep right on walking past Margaritaville. It's crowded and touristy and drinks/food are ridiculously expensive. We made the mistake of not venturing further than Margaritaville on our first trip to Grand Turk.

I have to give another vote for Jack's Shack...it's small, away from the crowds (even with multiple ships in port - it didn't feel crowded to us), and very reasonably priced. The mixed drinks are yummy and I'm a fan of the Turks Head beer (this coming from a mostly non-beer drinker). The food is amazing! The have a chef from Jamaica and his jerk chicken is to die for! We've always found the staff to be very friendly and accommodating. This will be our go-to stop for future trips to Grand Turk!

Misty

All the activity is on the beach to the left of the pier, never seen anyone to the right.The beach did not feel rocky. We have been there with 2 ships and 1 ship in port. With 2 its a bit crowded. On our last trip there we ventured down to Jacks and really enjoyed it. Margarettaville is expensive and can get really crowded with 2 ships making it hard to find a place to sit. Overall, a good relaxation day at the beach.

Love the beach at GT, and I also vote JACKS SHACK!!! ...just DON'T make the mistake we did and walk via the roads! Its deserted on the road and we kinda felt "alone" ... much better to just walk to Jacks ON THE BEACH, and it's much prettier. just get off the boat and turn LEFT on the beach. They have all sorts of things to eat that are cheap, and the Jerk Chicken we had was great. Also, we saw our Cruise Director and his staff at Jack's ... a surefire sign that it was "the best/most economical" option since the crew always know the best spots to hang out on these islands.

We also did the FlowRider located at Margaritaville ... Bishop and his team are excellent and we had a lot of fun. The "deluxe" is worth the extra $10.

Have fun!

Cheers!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

We were there in March and as the others said do not stop at Margaritaville, keep going until you get to Jack's Shack. Two chairs and an umbrella I believe were about $10.00 for the day. It was never crowded and the food and drinks at Jack's were great. If you get off the ship and turn right it is the conch shell grave yard and I have never seen so many conch shells washed up in one place, very cool and it is right there off the ship.

I am in the minority, I enjoyed the pool at Margaritaville. There were two ships in and the pool was not crowded at all. We did order nachos which were grossly overpriced and not very good at that. We won't make that mistake again. I believe we each had a margarita which was good but can't remember price. We will just get off the ship early and then be ready to go back aboard when it is time for lunch.

While lots of people like Jack's Shack, be aware it is quite a walk down the beach for those who don't like to or have difficulty walking distances, especially in sand.

I agree with the others that Margaritaville's drinks are expensive. It can also be difficult to get waited on when it gets really busy. But if you bring most of what you need with you when you leave the ship (like bottled water), you'll be fine at either the free beach or at Margaritaville's free pool.

I don't know of any other beaches in close proximity to the pier where the ship docks.

I am in the minority, I enjoyed the pool at Margaritaville. There were two ships in and the pool was not crowded at all. We did order nachos which were grossly overpriced and not very good at that. We won't make that mistake again. I believe we each had a margarita which was good but can't remember price. We will just get off the ship early and then be ready to go back aboard when it is time for lunch.

I think why most people are saying stay away from Margaritaville, is because of the price of food or drinks at the restaurant part. It is expensive.

But the pool is free and is a full of activity. It is right next to Margaritaville, but has a separate bar right in the water.

With a walk in beach like entrance on one end, and most of the pool is not any deeper than 4 ft., if I remember. Also has lots of lounge chairs if you get there early, music playing with a DJ, and in view of the FlowRider. It's entertaining just to sit and watch people trying to surf for the first time. You can book an excursion for the FlowRider through the ship, if you want.

http://www.grandturkcc.com/shore-excursions/grand-turk-flowrider.aspx

The pool is free with all the music, activity and entertainment, it is a must see for a few minutes at the least.

Edited by HawkIVette

Another vote for Jacks Shack! We were there about a month ago and it was by far my favorite part of the cruise. Food was great, the dog was cool, and I found Jack to be very laid back! He talked with my son and I for at least 20 minutes and he seemed very engaged throughout our conversation!

For those who are adventurous, take a walk on the OTHER side of the beach (right side of the pier). Very few people venture that way, around the "edge" of the island, and it's a "castaway" type of setting. And, you will find hundreds of conch shells.

CeleBrat

Another vote for Jack's Shack and Topher the dog. I will admit though that everyone before our cruise said that it was "Just a short walk". It wasn't. You can barely see it from the pier. In fact, we had to ask several times while we were walking toward it where it Everybody kept saying "Down there somewhere". In this video

you can see Topher the digging dog and how far it is from the ship.

whats the cost of a cab to jacks shack from the cruise port and where does one get the cab

It is only 5-10 minute walk down the beach and in any event I do not think there are any cabs but may be mistaken.