Cutting it close or?...

ravluis

Here is my standard answer,

Every other thread is about someone wanting to book a 7am flight home after debarking at 7:30.

If getting off the ship and being home in a hour, you had better live 15 minutes from the port.

That would be a neat trick having a flight booked before the ship even docks unless they book the 7am flight home for the next morning.:p

Bill

My family and I will be on the December sailing on Vista. The ship docks back at 8am in Miami. I was looking to purchase a flight that leaves Ft. Lauderdale at 10am. would we be cutting it way too close?

Hi - I agree with others that is close, if you read Miamiherald, sun-sentinel, palmbeachpost there are always accidents on I95.

With that said - we returned on 11/19/15 on CCL Victory, self-assisted, pre-arranged SAS shuttle form Port of Miami to FLL, we were checked in at 8:58 am. We booked a 10:25 am flight

I agree. We are looking at an 11:20 out of Jacksonville and even that is making me nervous, but the alternative is 6:25 and that seems like wayyyy too long to sit in an airport.

Hi - we did Fascination 5 day out of jacksonville, took port shuttle to JAX and were checked in a 9:30. I understand fog and the tides getting under the bridge can cause a problem.

That would be a neat trick having a flight booked before the ship even docks unless they book the 7am flight home for the next morning.:p

Bill

LOL, you actually got my little "joke". It never ceases to amaze me the people who expect to debark, do CBP, taxi, and go through security in 15 minutes. Actually my answer could be a bit "snarky"....if you have to be home by 9am, you haven't planned your vacation very well!!

Wouldn't chance it. We had an evening flight and had Carnival check our bags to the airport. Rented car for the day, had brunch and museum and when went to airport (FLL), luggage was already checked through so only boarded with carry on. Sometimes they offer post cruise excursions. Might as well enjoy your last day.

You made an 8:45 am flight out of FLL after docking in Miami? What time did they let you off the ship?

I'll give you a play by play: [emoji3]

Self assist met at one of the lounges onboard at 6:30am. We waited at the lounge about 10 minutes before they started letting people off the ship. Customs was an absolute breeze (the customs agents were literally waving people through). We were standing outside the terminal on the curve at around 7:00am.

We were planning on getting a cab or a shuttle, but after looking at the long line of people lined up for a taxi, my wife suggested using Uber. The driver literally showed up within 60 seconds (our driver was a very nice, retired gentleman who goes to the port of Miami early in the morning every time that there's a ship in port and waits for passengers).

We were dropped off in front of our terminal in FLL right at 7:45am (I remember telling my wife that we had exactly one hour before the flight). All of our bags counted as carry ons but we stopped at the check in counter since there were like 10 agents available with no passengers in line. One agent checked our bags quickly and we went straight to the security checkpoint which, like the airline counter, was completely dead with TSA agents just waiting around for passengers. We were at our gate around 8:10am, just a few minutes before boarding started. [emoji3]

From personal experience (having lived in FT. Lauderdale for many years), the airport turns into an absolute chaos less than an hour after we showed up, so the quick and efficient debarkation allowed us to get to the airport just in time. But if our debarkation had been delayed, even 30 minutes, it would've been much longer and chaotic to get through. We just happened to really luck out this time.

My family and I will be on the December sailing on Vista. The ship docks back at 8am in Miami. I was looking to purchase a flight that leaves Ft. Lauderdale at 10am. would we be cutting it way too close?

You live in "Joisey" as I did for 54 years. Now ensconced in the Sunshine state, I reiterate what has been said above; DON'T EVEN THINK OF IT! I-95 can go from good to horrible delays in a heart beat, and, the ship could also be delayed. This is what I call a non-starter.

If you book a return flight before 12 noon and miss the flight, your travel insurance will reject your claim.

I have been in FLL airport when the big ships have docked. It was 45 minutes in line just to check luggage. The regular security line was at least 30 minutes. The terminal was packed.

Way too close.