Carnival Policy for Cancelling Excursions / Low Attendance

EdmundXXIII

On two occasions, I have booked an excursion online and had it cancelled by Carnival the night before due to not enough people signing up for that one.

Does anyone know what the policy is for how they decide to cancel an excursion? Is it a certain number of tickets, a percentage sold, or does it vary depending on the price and type of excursion?

I'm wondering because I'm booked on the Cozumel Whale Shark Snorkel Excursion next month, and have been watching it closely. It doesn't look like many people are booking that one. I do hope it sells well enough that it isn't cancelled!!! :eek:

It's a numbers game. If it's not profitable they'll cancel it. Hopefully more will sign up online or onboard.

We swam with whale sharks in La Paz.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I can't speak for your specific excursion but I will share an experience hubby and I had in Cozumel. We booked a dive thru Carnival. When we arrived for the excursion the host said we were the only ones from Carnival that booked. All the rest were from a different cruise line that had been delayed that day. Since the crew was assembled and he had to pay them anyway we had the excursion. It was awesome. Upon return they went out again for the other cruise line passengers.

My point is that while Carnival may have a specific number available and it is not selling well there could be others from another line.

Best of luck

Hi Edmund

Have you checked on line? There are few cruise line "excursions" that can't be booked directly...usually at a discount that convinces people that booking through the cruise line just isn't worth it.

The main concern for cruisers is the fear of missing the ship. The ship will wait for a late ship tour. On an island such as Cozumel, the only likelihood of you not getting back to the port on time would be if you went to the mainland or if you got too drunk at a bar and passed out.

have a great cruise

Hi Edmund

Have you checked on line? There are few cruise line "excursions" that can't be booked directly...usually at a discount that convinces people that booking through the cruise line just isn't worth it.

The main concern for cruisers is the fear of missing the ship. The ship will wait for a late ship tour. On an island such as Cozumel, the only likelihood of you not getting back to the port on time would be if you went to the mainland or if you got too drunk at a bar and passed out.

have a great cruise

I respectfully disagree with this poster's assertion that you aren't likely to miss the ship on a whale shark expedition.

Most of the whale sharks congregate around Isla Holbox - to get there from Coz, you have to ferry over to Playa del Carmen, bus up past Cancun and the ferries to Isla Mujeres and then board a small skiff that will go out in search of these creatures.

I've only been as far as Contoy Island, a nature preserve that is still south of Holbox, and that was a far ride from Playa.

Perhaps there is a closer location than Holbox, but that would be a very recent development and contrary to where these creatures have amassed for decades that we know of.

Even if you could step off the Carnival ship onto your excursion boat, it would still be a few hours ride to Holbox.

I am curious, what were your earlier excursions that they cancelled?

I had a Jeep excursion to Punta del Sur on Coz cancelled for insufficient sign ups.

I've never been told an excursion I wanted to go on was filled and I was out of luck.

I don't believe the CD's when they say excursions fill up fast and you can get shut out. I usually hear them the night before the next port saying we still have a few open excursions left but you better hurry, IMO, it's just a shill given to them by corporate to parrot.

Edited by evandbob

It is not Carnival cancelling, but the tour operators. Most of them have a minimum # of people they want in order for the excursion to be profitable for them. We were recently with another cruise line and we were cancelled 3 times at one port, due to lack of people signing up. For them, we were told the operators require a minimum of 30 people.

We ended up staying in town and had a fabulous time wondering around and having lunch.

We have had 3 excursions cancelled due to low numbers which is why we seldom book Carnival excursions anymore. I usually read the Port of Call boards and then book a private excursion before the cruise. They are usually cheaper and better. Those vendors do not cancel even with low numbers because they can't afford bad reviews on CC and Trip Advisor. On our recent 21 day B2B, we decided to book one Carnival excursion because they had a combination snorkel and Sunset cruise in Aruba. It was cancelled. We are now sticking with the private tours.