Anthem of the Seas - June 30th Cruise - Commentary

Friends,

There have been a lot of reviews about this cruise, so I thought I would take the time to offer more of a commentary, than a review.

First off, our hearts are broken and we are saddened of the tragic news of the young boy from our cruise. Our prayers go out to his family.

Second, we had seen a lot of negative commentary around the staff of the ship. Our experience was very different. We found that most of the crew was outstanding. What we did notice is that the attitude of the crew ( as in most instances in life) reflected the attitude of the passengers. If the passenger was disinterested, or even rude, we saw a disinterested crew. When a passenger took the time to say hello and smile, the response from the crew was outstanding. We had asked several crew members about this. They are under a tremendous amount of stress from all of the negative reviews and circumstances the ship has gone through from their management. This as most of you know, can wreck havoc on someones attitude. A simple smile was always appreciated by the crew. We heard from several crew after a meal, or service in a bar "its was my pleasure to serve you". This broke my heart. While it is their "job to serve" the idea that they were their to "serve me" made me feel like they felt degraded. They provide a service. I wish more passengers would take the time to get to know these wonderful people on the ship. Take the time to smile and say thank you and stop with the negativeness about the crew. This may take some pressure off of them from their management.

Third - the new Cruise Director John Blair was awful. Now we have taken many cruises, so this isn't our first rodeo, but he is so self absorbed. It was displayed in so many ways. From his cartoon character, in genuine personality on stage, to him totally ignoring me on 3 occasions when I tried to say hello. We heard from several passengers that they too were also ignored by him when they tried to say hello and most passengers we spoke to, did not like him. (RCL take note) We had prepared as a family for the glow party, all buying white cloths to wear, buying glow sticks for the 5 kids traveling in our party to find out "John Blair" had decided that he did not want to have this party this cruise, but may do it next cruise if he felt like it. (This was his staff telling us this). Finally on the CD, at the end of the Spectra show, he popped up on one of the stage elevators dressed like John Travolta from Grease. He proceeded to do a horrible NY accent that was demeaning to any NY'r. Bronx born and NY raised here. Now I normally do not take offence to much, but I cringed as I listened to him, and oh BTW, the ship sailed from NJ with a bunch of us NY'rs on her, so why would you ever think that that was OK?

Ultimately we had a great cruise, met some great staff and passengers and loved the ship. Food is subjective, we liked most, loved some and disliked some.

Go to 270 and spend some time at the bar. Tell Joseph, Will and Priscilla that Mark said hello!

Mark

Friends,

Third - the new Cruise Director John Blair was awful. Now we have taken many cruises, so this isn't our first rodeo, but he is so self absorbed. It was displayed in so many ways. From his cartoon character, in genuine personality on stage, to him totally ignoring me on 3 occasions when I tried to say hello. We heard from several passengers that they too were also ignored by him when they tried to say hello and most passengers we spoke to, did not like him. (RCL take note) We had prepared as a family for the glow party, all buying white cloths to wear, buying glow sticks for the 5 kids traveling in our party to find out "John Blair" had decided that he did not want to have this party this cruise, but may do it next cruise if he felt like it. (This was his staff telling us this). Finally on the CD, at the end of the Spectra show, he popped up on one of the stage elevators dressed like John Travolta from Grease. He proceeded to do a horrible NY accent that was demeaning to any NY'r. Bronx born and NY raised here. Now I normally do not take offence to much, but I cringed as I listened to him, and oh BTW, the ship sailed from NJ with a bunch of us NY'rs on her, so why would you ever think that that was OK?

Mark

I was on the same cruise and I agree, John Blair was terrible, totally invisible the whole cruise. Only saw him once on the 2nd last night saying hello to the people on the smoking deck. His PA announcements were also extremely loud and annoying, but what you're describing is something I hope you commented about on the survey. Ignoring people 3 TIMES is unacceptable.

I'd had him 5 years ago on Enchantment but he was even worse this time.

I was on the same cruise and I agree, John Blair was terrible, totally invisible the whole cruise. Only saw him once on the 2nd last night saying hello to the people on the smoking deck. His PA announcements were also extremely loud and annoying, but what you're describing is something I hope you commented about on the survey. Ignoring people 3 TIMES is unacceptable.

We did comment on our survey. Thanks.

I also agree, very absent. But when visible, it was all about him.

I hope Guest Services personal have been better trained :mad:

We actually didn't have a problem with Guest Services. We called about billing errors a few times and they resolved and even followed up with phone calls.

Same with OBC issues.

The only time we had to wait on line there were 2 people working the line with an ipad and helping people they could and redirecting people that didnt need to be in the line to speed up the process.

We were actually quite pleased with them.

Sailing on the Anthem next month. Even after posting my concerns and receiving wonderful reassuring comments, I must say I have never had this worried feeling in my stomach before a cruise. Trying to stay focused on, we're going on a cruise!

Thanks for the commentary on the ship.

Your experience with the CD reminds me of ours with Ken Burns (?) (can't remember his last name, but everyone loves him and he's supposed to be the best one) When we were on Freedom he couldn't give me or my son's a simple hello or the time of day.

Sailing on the Anthem next month. Even after posting my concerns and receiving wonderful reassuring comments, I must say I have never had this worried feeling in my stomach before a cruise. Trying to stay focused on, we're going on a cruise!

You will love the cruise. We all did in my group of 11.

We didn't let the CD or some rude passengers ruin our time.

If you expect it to be bad... it will.

If you go out and try and have the best time, you will as long as you don't sweat the small stuff.

The CD being self absorbs and horrible had little effect on my ability to have a great time. Him being better and more accommodating could have enhanced the overall experience, but did not ruin it.

Just wanted to give fair warning.

Go to 270, tell Joseph I said hello and he will be a highlight of your cruise experience.

Mark, I just got off Anthem today and I feel similarly about the wait staff. They work so hard, are so patient and friendly and were AMAZING with my two year old daughter. I feel bad, guilty...and I should. They should not feel or seem to feel degraded. We went out of our way to treat them respectfully and like family. I hope and think they knew that our party of 14 really appreciated them. We got their email addresses and will certainly keep in contact with them. Clive, Jerry and Avishek were awesome.

Also, I went to a game show in 270 and ordered a dessert saying, "please." The waiter said that I was the only person all day to ask him and use please. What the h£ll world. I'm not all that wonderful, but my parent taught me well. Please, thank you and general manners and politeness go a long way when used.

Great crew and I cannot wait to see them again

Bart

Friends,

There have been a lot of reviews about this cruise, so I thought I would take the time to offer more of a commentary, than a review.

First off, our hearts are broken and we are saddened of the tragic news of the young boy from our cruise. Our prayers go out to his family.

Second, we had seen a lot of negative commentary around the staff of the ship. Our experience was very different. We found that most of the crew was outstanding. What we did notice is that the attitude of the crew ( as in most instances in life) reflected the attitude of the passengers. If the passenger was disinterested, or even rude, we saw a disinterested crew. When a passenger took the time to say hello and smile, the response from the crew was outstanding. We had asked several crew members about this. They are under a tremendous amount of stress from all of the negative reviews and circumstances the ship has gone through from their management. This as most of you know, can wreck havoc on someones attitude. A simple smile was always appreciated by the crew. We heard from several crew after a meal, or service in a bar "its was my pleasure to serve you". This broke my heart. While it is their "job to serve" the idea that they were their to "serve me" made me feel like they felt degraded. They provide a service. I wish more passengers would take the time to get to know these wonderful people on the ship. Take the time to smile and say thank you and stop with the negativeness about the crew. This may take some pressure off of them from their management.

Ultimately we had a great cruise, met some great staff and passengers and loved the ship. Food is subjective, we liked most, loved some and disliked some.

Go to 270 and spend some time at the bar. Tell Joseph, Will and Priscilla that Mark said hello!

Mark

I absolutely agree with you about the AWESOME staff on The Anthem!!! Also, so many people are so rude, it must be so difficult for the staff to be nice to them.

Marg

Friends,

Second, we had seen a lot of negative commentary around the staff of the ship. Our experience was very different. We found that most of the crew was outstanding. What we did notice is that the attitude of the crew ( as in most instances in life) reflected the attitude of the passengers. If the passenger was disinterested, or even rude, we saw a disinterested crew. When a passenger took the time to say hello and smile, the response from the crew was outstanding. We had asked several crew members about this. They are under a tremendous amount of stress from all of the negative reviews and circumstances the ship has gone through from their management. This as most of you know, can wreck havoc on someones attitude. A simple smile was always appreciated by the crew. We heard from several crew after a meal, or service in a bar "its was my pleasure to serve you". This broke my heart. While it is their "job to serve" the idea that they were their to "serve me" made me feel like they felt degraded. They provide a service. I wish more passengers would take the time to get to know these wonderful people on the ship. Take the time to smile and say thank you and stop with the negativeness about the crew.

Mark

This is so important and also so lost to some. I enjoyed getting to know several of the crew on our Anthem cruise May 14....High fives and waves when just passing through....Great ship, Great crew.....

Thanks for your thoughts..

Mark' date=' I just got off Anthem today and I feel similarly about the wait staff. They work so hard, are so patient and friendly and were AMAZING with my two year old daughter. I feel bad, guilty...and I should. They should not feel or seem to feel degraded. We went out of our way to treat them respectfully and like family. I hope and think they knew that our party of 14 really appreciated them. We got their email addresses and will certainly keep in contact with them. Clive, Jerry and Avishek were awesome.

Also, I went to a game show in 270 and ordered a dessert saying, "please." The waiter said that I was the only person all day to ask him and use please. What the h£ll world. I'm not all that wonderful, but my parent taught me well. Please, thank you and general manners and politeness go a long way when used.

Great crew and I cannot wait to see them again

Bart[/quote']

Amen... please, thank you, how is your day going? All valid. These are people folks, with families who they are working so hard to support. Very few of them want to be on the ship, they need to be on the ship.

I couldn't imagine being away from my family for months at a time and having someone treat me with disrespect. It would make me nuts, yet they smile and continue to do their job! (to make our vacation great)

Keep perspective AND enjoy your vacation!

Glad you had a great experience as well.

This is so important and also so lost to some. I enjoyed getting to know several of the crew on our Anthem cruise May 14....High fives and waves when just passing through....Great ship, Great crew.....

Thanks for your thoughts..

Thank you!

We had some crew come look for our family on their breaks just to say hello. We are Facebook friends with many and plan to keep in touch and hope to see them again some day. :)

Can somebody comment who play in Ballero lounge?

Back in April, we had a fantastic group.

There were a couple of bands in Bollero's. I can't remember their name. Sorry, but they were very good.

We did however try and avoid that area because of all of the Watch give-a-ways and sales. It did make it hard to navigate sometimes.

Thanks for the commentary on the ship.

Your experience with the CD reminds me of ours with Ken Burns (?) (can't remember his last name, but everyone loves him and he's supposed to be the best one) When we were on Freedom he couldn't give me or my son's a simple hello or the time of day.

Ken Rush.

Ken Burns is the documentarian and historian who produced the PBS series on the Civil War, Baseball, and many others.

:)

I feel like having a positive attitude and giving positive feedback to staff goes so much further to ensuring great service. Even when waitstaff are overworked and hurried, just letting them know that we are relaxed and easygoing people has always seemed to work in our favour in so many ways. Plus one of the things I really enjoy about cruising is meeting all the staff and finding out where they come from.

As far as the CD goes, I am almost looking forward to seeing just how bad John Blaire really is when we sail next week. I have never had a cruise impacted overall by a CD (either negative or positive) but I will admit to making fun of a CD that kept repeating the same phrase the entire cruise (to my husband only of course). I can't even remember his name however, which goes to show how little impact CDs make on me.

I feel like having a positive attitude and giving positive feedback to staff goes so much further to ensuring great service. Even when waitstaff are overworked and hurried, just letting them know that we are relaxed and easygoing people has always seemed to work in our favour in so many ways. Plus one of the things I really enjoy about cruising is meeting all the staff and finding out where they come from.

As far as the CD goes, I am almost looking forward to seeing just how bad John Blaire really is when we sail next week. I have never had a cruise impacted overall by a CD (either negative or positive) but I will admit to making fun of a CD that kept repeating the same phrase the entire cruise (to my husband only of course). I can't even remember his name however, which goes to show how little impact CDs make on me.

Some CDs are relatively bland and make little impression on people.

A few CDs are almost universally loved.

Some CDs are quite polarizing. There are cruisers who belong to their fan club, and cruisers who shudder at the very thought of sailing with them.

The Blairs are in the "polarizing" camp.

:)

You will love the cruise. We all did in my group of 11.

We didn't let the CD or some rude passengers ruin our time.

If you expect it to be bad... it will.

If you go out and try and have the best time, you will as long as you don't sweat the small stuff.

The CD being self absorbs and horrible had little effect on my ability to have a great time. Him being better and more accommodating could have enhanced the overall experience, but did not ruin it.

Just wanted to give fair warning.

Go to 270, tell Joseph I said hello and he will be a highlight of your cruise experience.

Will do. Thanks.

I agree whole heartedly. The only CD that ever had an impact on me was from the Disney Fantasy. He was funny and charming but I can't remember his name for the life of me!

I certainly won't let Mr Blair make or break my cruise next week.

To the OP thanks for your report.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We were also on the June 30 cruise. It was our 5th RCI cruise and we have enjoyed every cruise director - until this trip. The only thing worse than John Blair was John and Katrina together.

I agree with many of you - it is the passengers who can be rude at times. We found the staff to be wonderful and hard working. Our room attendant and waiter were two of the best and the food was excellent! I do think the bar staff across the ship is a bit overwhelmed with all of the drink packages.

Wow, we were on I think the Grandeur back in 2002 and John Blair and his wife were CD and I think activity leader or shopping person, but ya same thing back then. I'm surprised he's still around.

They are a team. John is the CD and Katrina is the AM or Activities Manager, sometimes referred to as the assistant CD.

I agree that CD makes a little impact on how good your cruise is, but when you have a great CD - you really understand how much more fun you have.

In my 50+ cruises experience I can say that only handful of CDs I will never forget - they had class, sense of humor, talent and intelligence. None of them were on RC cruises. They were on Princess and Celebrity. I have not meet anybody like them in a long time. Few on Celebrity came close.

For some reason, if CD is a dodo , so are the members of his stuff.