Getting to terminal

cheerldrmom

I am sure this has been asked before but when flying in with small children what do you do about car seats. Law says they are suppose to be strapped in we really don't want to lug two car seats along with a double umbrella stroller where would we store about. But are Leary about driving from airport to terminal in a cab Help

If you are talking about your upcoming cruise on Allure (bear in mind some people can't see your "signatures" where your future cruises are listed), it has been discussed on the Florida Departures board that Florida doesn't require vehicles "for hire" like shuttles or taxis, to have child seats, or even require children in those vehicle to be in child seats. If you want a child seat, you will need to bring your own.

If you do a search over there, you will find a couple of vendors who do supply child seats.

Edited by CruiserBruce

If you are talking about your upcoming cruise on Allure (bear in mind some people can't see your "signatures" where your future cruises are listed), it has been discussed on the Florida Departures board that Florida doesn't require vehicles "for hire" like shuttles or taxis, to have child seats, or even require children in those vehicle to be in child seats. If you want a child seat, you will need to bring your own.

If you do a search over there, you will find a couple of vendors who do supply child seats.

Sorry a bit confused by your post...are you saying children "don't" need/have to be in a carseat when using a taxi from FLL-Port Everglades :confused:

Sorry a bit confused by your post...are you saying children "don't" need/have to be in a carseat when using a taxi from FLL-Port Everglades :confused:

Having read the Florida law, that is my understanding. "For hire" vehicles are exempted.

Having read the Florida law, that is my understanding. "For hire" vehicles are exempted.

Thanks so much...I just thought that law had changed and Taxi's "couldn't" transport children without them being a carseat.

Thanks cruiser Bruce. That's what I thought but I know it's a law to be in car seat. Just a pain to lug to big car seats

You are missing the point. Taxis and shuttles are exempt from the car seat rule. Your child will not need to be in a car seat in Florida in a vehicle "for hire" like a cab.

A couple of years ago there was a posting on the Florida Departures Board about a family being denied a taxi ride from FLL to Port Everglades because they didn't have a car seat for their toddler. I haven't seen any similar complaints since then but be aware that Florida law is not on your side should you be stopped or be in an accident - you as the guardian would be charged not the taxi driver for having an unsecured child.

Requirements from the Florida DMV website (http://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/safety-laws.php):

The January 2015 Florida law states:

• Children 5 years old or younger must be secured in a federally approved child restraint system.

• Children 3 years old and younger must use a separate car-seat or the vehicle's built-in child seat.

• Children 4 through 5 years must sit in either a separate car seat, a built in child seat or a seat belt, depending on the child's height and weight.

• Children 6 through 17 years old must be in a seatbelt.

According to the Florida Senate website (http://flsenate.gov/laws/statutes/2014/316.613), specs of the law in section 316.613(6) state that it is the parent's responsibility not the driver's to comply with the law:

The child restraint requirements imposed by this section do not apply to a chauffeur-driven taxi, limousine, sedan, van, bus, motor coach, or other passenger vehicle if the operator and the motor vehicle are hired and used for the transportation of persons for compensation.
It is the obligation and responsibility of the parent, guardian, or other person responsible for a child’s welfare as defined in s.
to comply with the requirements of this section.

The bottom line is that the law says you are required to have your child in a restraint system as defined by the Florida Law.

Even it if was not required, it really would be ill advised not to do this. Another option is to rent a car and to rent cars seats.

Keith