Norway fjords best cruise?

Estealvarado

Most of them visit the same ports (give or take). I've sailed the Fjords twice and sailing in and out of Geiranger was by far my favorite and most scenic part of the trip. If you have longer than a week to spare, then I'd suggest an Arctic cruise, which goes farther North and of course visits more ports. But the basic 7 day itinerary that goes to Bergen, Alesund, Flam and Geiranger shouldn't disappoint.

I live in Denmark and always sail from Copenhagen because it's convenient, so I can't comment on other departure ports. That said, Scandinavia is very expensive, so it might be worthwhile to sail from another port if the itinerary is one you like.

Edited by ExpatBride

I saw a cruise with royal carribean thats an 11 night and makes stops in the cities mentioned above it also goes to the arctic circle. My question is i see all the dates for these cruises during the summer months. Do most cruise not operate this route during winter months?

My question is i see all the dates for these cruises during the summer months. Do most cruise not operate this route during winter months?

The Norway/Baltics/Arctic cruising season is very short. If you ever experience our "summer" it will be obvious why ;)

If REALLY seeing the fjords is your goal, then there is no question... Book with Hurtigruten. While "technically" their ships are ferry's, they are every bit as comfortable as most cruise lines, and you see EVERY port up and down the coast (If you do the round trip)

The draw back is that they stop for only about an hour at each port... But many set up tours that are longer and bring you to the next port up the coast.

(And, to answer the question above, they run 12 months of the year)

Edited by FredT

Ice is not a good thing for the ship's hull ever hear of the Titanic ;)

There's no ice in Norwegian waters. Ever hear of the Gulf Stream? ;)

To the OP, there are no cruises in Norway in winter because it's (a) cold and (b) dark. The northern half of the country is in the Arctic Circle and has 24-hour darkness for part of the winter - in Tromso, for example, it's about 2 months darkness. And the southern half doesn't get dazzlingly sunny, either.

Hurtigruten runs all year round, as stated. If you want snow-capped views and lots ofsnow, that's the one to go for. Or Fred Olsen do quite a few Northern Lights cruises about February-March time.

We enjoyed our recent 7 night Norwegian Fjords cruise R/T from Copenhagen

on RCI Serenade of the Seas. 4 interesting ports including spectacular Geiranger .

How werr all the stops on this cruise? I was looking at this one as well and they also have a 11 night one that includes the arctic circle. I dont know if 11 nights is too long to be on a cruise but seems interesting

It's incredible what a vast difference the North Atlantic Drift (the Gulf stream's official name) makes. Bergen is about the same latitude as Anchorage; Tromso is just a fraction south of the North coast of Alaska; Longyearbyen up there with northern Greenland. And yet not of them are ever icebound; you don't get any sea ice until you get round to Kirkenes round the northern tip.

The Baltic, on the other hand, freezes every year. The northern half, anyway. The Gulf Stream doesn't go in there.