A couple's Honeymoon nightmare?

TheTAinSA

Not sure what makes this a "nightmare". On our last cruise we had an obstructed OV overlooking a lifeboat. A couple of times there was a crew person working on it. I just closed the curtains. Problem solved.

Lol. Yeah, makes perfect sense. Pay $600 to keep your curtains closed.

This video popped up on my Facebook feed earlier. HAL should be ashamed. And that intrusive kind of work should be reserved for port days only.

If you check the link to the video, you will see the the original poster has updated the description of the video. Seems HAL is aware of the video going viral and is now trying to help out the couple. HAL is apparently refunding them the upgrade cost and is comping them a dinner. HAL also has something else is mind but hasn't disclosed that yet.

Like a previous poster, I have also had this video show up in my Facebook news feed.

Seems HAL is aware of the video going viral and is now trying to help out the couple. HAL is apparently refunding them the upgrade cost and is comping them a dinner. HAL also has something else is mind but hasn't disclosed that yet.

The squeaky wheel sure does get the grease.

Just crab loud and long and come out ahead.

It seems unfortunate that one has to go to all these lengths to get an issue resolved. That to me is the REAL issue. Pity the person who is reluctant to raise a fuss when he/she has an issue or really does not understand how to effectively escalate an issue when the first line team's approach is to smile and do nothing.

Speaks volumes to me.

Edited by iancal

I have been following this post on Reddit as well. Reddit is extremely popular among the Millennial generation.

This Reddit post has over 4400 comments. Not views -- comments!!

And it's gotten results too. Here's the latest post from the OP on Reddit:

"Okay we are up. I'm just going to list a few facts for you all:

1.Around 9:30 last night, our room phone rang and it was the head of guest services. It was a very quick call but long story short, he said they were aware of the video and were engaged with discussions internally regarding how to handle it. I know very little else about their reaction to this.

2.They are refunding our $600 upgrade and comping us a nice dinner on the ship. They said they have something else in mind but are still discussing. I do not know what that means.

3.They can't for sure say whether or not the maintenance outside our window will continue, although it appears that there is still plenty of work to do as far as I can tell, although that's just my opinion.

4.They can't move us because the ship is full, which I understand.

5.We have a plan to go do a long tour of Norway today so we'll be off the ship for the night, returning tomorrow.

6.This has not ruined our trip. We intend to have a blast and have another 2 weeks to do so.

I'll update on the train or something. They have my cell number so hopefully they will call me."

If you take the Reddit OP at his word (and I do), he deserves compensation. The ship confirmed that they knew about the maintenance as it's part of the regular cycle. HAL took his money for the upgrade knowing that they were going to be doing the maintenance. (The fact that the actual person who sold him the upgrade didn't know about the maintenance doesn't matter at all. HAL knew). Had he known about the maintenance, he wouldn't have paid the money.

Rather than accepting their onboard "too bad, so sad" he showed them the power of social media to change the way things have been done in the past.