Sydney Opera House

Maureenxx

Has anyone done the Sydney Opera House excursions, especially to performances. We heard there were LOTS OF STAIRS to climb. We are mobile but wonder about climbing the stairs. Any comments? Also was it worth it to attend the show.

You can book online before your visit, a tour of the facility which explains the architecture, acoustics, etc. Reasonable cost and saves standing in line. Also tickets for performances can be purchased on line before your visit. Worth every penny, as this is a once-in-a-lifetime experience for most cruisers.

Check the Australia port board for more info.

We were just there in January. We took the tour in the morning and following the tour we were able to purchase tickets to that night's opera. Loved it. The acoustics are wonderful. There were lots of stairs but At one point we also took an elevator.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We did this on the last WC in February this year and booked thru HAL. The folks who ran the excursion took those who could not handle stairs a 'special way' when we entered the facility. As I understand it, there is an elevator they used. I did not actually see it, but they must have been ok as they seemed to enjoy themselves. However it is quite a hike from where you get off the bus to the entrance, so that is really more of a problem.

I suggest emailing the Opera House directly for information. They have been very helpful in the past to us.

harry

I purchased a HAL Shore Excursion that involved an evening performance at the Opera House. I have not regretted it!

Transportation to and from the venue is a plus, I think. Yes, the transfer vehicle does let guests off a bit of a distance from the entrance. But, it was not an unreasonable walk to enter the building, even at a slow pace.

Our seats were Orchestra level seats for the performance and the sight lines and sound were excellent.

I did not have the time to take a Back Stage tour of the facility, but that is something I would enjoy doing when I visit Sydney again. (Reason: my opera had 4 different sets that kept being moved into position. I would love to see that space that has to exist for such a situation.)

Hullo from Downunder, There is a concert, 'Great Opera Hits' - performances by AO stars - in March. I am not sure how to add the link, but if you google the above, you should find it. There are backstage tours which are being advertised, too. Some include breakfast; some include a tasting plate. The tours are offered in many different languages, on different days. Our big opera season is during winter, except for the Opera on the Harbour, which is staged on a massive floating platform near the Quay.

Happy sailing!

fe

Go to sydneyoperahouse.com and you will find all the information. There is disabled access and wheelchairs can be borrowed. The opera house was built before there was an emphasis on disabled access and because of the importance of the building they cannot stick escalators just anywhere.

We have not received info for next year for the the companies we subscribe to for 2017. They will probably be out quite soon and then the dates should hopefully be available on the opera house website. if not you will have to go to the individual companies websites which you can find on the general website.

On the subject of the Opera house' date=' Can I wear short pants for a afternoon performance? ?[/quote']

There is no dress code as such. Of course it depends on the time of the year what is appropriate. In general smart casual is worn to the theatre. However business dress in Sydney is quite formal so you could see people in the obligatory dark suit during the week if they have come straight from work.

Actually you will see people dressed up in the afternoon as matinees are popular with older retired people who may drag out their dressy clothes.

I would love to do a show, as well. Anyone know when they release performance dates/shows? We will be there next March and I'm not seeing a line up, yet. :-(

When we were planning WC2016 I emailed Sydney Opera January 2015 and asked when they expected the February 2016 schedule to be available. They told me to look in AUgust which I did and voila it was there.

harry

• 1 month later...
Hullo from Downunder, There is a concert, 'Great Opera Hits' - performances by AO stars - in March. I am not sure how to add the link, but if you google the above, you should find it. There are backstage tours which are being advertised, too. Some include breakfast; some include a tasting plate. The tours are offered in many different languages, on different days. Our big opera season is during winter, except for the Opera on the Harbour, which is staged on a massive floating platform near the Quay.

Happy sailing!

fe

Thank you for the information. :)

When we were planning WC2016 I emailed Sydney Opera January 2015 and asked when they expected the February 2016 schedule to be available. They told me to look in AUgust which I did and voila it was there.

harry

Thank you! I will just keep looking. :)

Has anyone done the Sydney Opera House excursions, especially to performances. We heard there were LOTS OF STAIRS to climb. We are mobile but wonder about climbing the stairs. Any comments? Also was it worth it to attend the show.

as I understand there are 200 steps...however, if taking the backstage tour there is a different entrance at the 12 p.m. tour...I purchased tickets to see "My Fair Lady" and if necessary will crawl up the stairs. It is being produced by Julie Andrews and her daughter. I will probably be at the Opera house from a.m. for the backstage tour as well as the matinee and then will return to the ship..Hopefully, my roommate will take lots of pictures of Sydney!!!

I would love to do a show, as well. Anyone know when they release performance dates/shows? We will be there next March and I'm not seeing a line up, yet. :-(

I haven't looked for the schedule, but I know they just announced a HUGE restoration/remodel project for the Opera House, including acoustic upgrades, and that may have an impact on the performance schedules.

The project is set to take about 4 years and is supposed to improve access to all areas, including adding a number of elevators, and they will be adding new dropdown acoustic walls in the main auditorium.

I would suspect that during the project some areas of the Opera House would be closed to visitors.

I haven't looked for the schedule, but I know they just announced a HUGE restoration/remodel project for the Opera House, including acoustic upgrades, and that may have an impact on the performance schedules.
AIUI, it's the Concert Hall (not the Opera Theatre) that's the focus of the work, and that is planned to be closed from August 2019 to January 2021.

We attended a performance of La Bohème last March at the Opera House. Tickets were ordered online and picked up there if I recall correctly. There were an immense amount of stairs to get to our seats, and the signage wasn't always clear.

The Opera House is the venue that reflects the structure of the building. As you climb you get to experience that structure from many interior angles. The Concert Hall is also a beautiful space, but doesn't reflect the structure of the building.The whole structure is astounding and well worth the price of tickets and the climb.