And the journey has begun!

Rebel54

I am also interested in your opinion of the food. What didn't you like? We found the food on both our Avalon cruises in 2013 and 2015 to be excellent. My husband and I have very different appetites; he loves seafood and more adventurous dishes while I choose lower fat dishes due to digestion issues. Don't want to get sick on vacation! We always found choices that we enjoyed, some more than others. Of course, food likes and dislikes are very personal; a dish I find wonderful you might find quite boring!

Hmmm it's a bit bland I guess. I have to add salt to everything. So far my favorite meal was the pasta bar that they made up fresh. I did have the "anytime" beef fillet last night because nothing on the menu appealed to me. It was pretty good. Perfect portion size for me. The soups taste .. canned. I don't need super fancy food...I just want it to taste flavorful.

Thanks for the response about the food. Are the dishes mostly regional or just general food?

A lot of regional dishes...not all. I think there's plenty to keep everyone fed. Anytime you are mass producing food in a small kitchen it's not easy. I also imagine they have to be mindful of over seasoning anything with a diverse range of tastes and requirements. Each meal has a fish, regular protein, healthy/vegetarian option.

We are in Bernkastel today. It's been raining ALL day. We ventured out and got lunch and then came back. No desire to go back out there. It's a bit chilly and ICK.

I'll trade you some of that rain (we are in a drought here) for sunshine :).

Hope the weather clears for you soon!

We are in Bernkastel today. It's been raining ALL day. We ventured out and got lunch and then came back. No desire to go back out there. It's a bit chilly and ICK.

Did people who'd booked the optional Moselle biking excursion get a refund due to the rain?

FuelScience

I'll trade you some of that rain (we are in a drought here) for sunshine :).

Hope the weather clears for you soon!

We are also in a drought and wishing for rain, a real rarity for upstate NY!

Hope you have a better weather day tomorrow

Hmmm it's a bit bland I guess. I have to add salt to everything. So far my favorite meal was the pasta bar that they made up fresh. I did have the "anytime" beef fillet last night because nothing on the menu appealed to me. It was pretty good. Perfect portion size for me. The soups taste .. canned. I don't need super fancy food...I just want it to taste flavorful.

Hi Rebel54

Been following your review and I am loving it! Just to show how subjective food is, I like bland and have been searching for ship food that I didn't want to remove salt from. Haven't tried a river cruise yet but hope to in the future.

Thanks again.

Denise

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

A lot of regional dishes...not all. I think there's plenty to keep everyone fed. Anytime you are mass producing food in a small kitchen it's not easy. I also imagine they have to be mindful of over seasoning anything with a diverse range of tastes and requirements. Each meal has a fish, regular protein, healthy/vegetarian option.

I agree about the prep for the food. Hopefully it's just your chef, keeping the seasoning down for his clients. I'm kinda torn about trying food in Germany, having grown up with it as "comfort" food, I'm thinking it just won't be what I'm used to!

I'll second the request for the rain, and you can try to share the chilly weather...We have had one cool day here this summer, it's getting unbearable.

Hi Rebel54

Been following your review and I am loving it! Just to show how subjective food is, I like bland and have been searching for ship food that I didn't want to remove salt from. Haven't tried a river cruise yet but hope to in the future.

Thanks again.

Denise

Denise....Avalon is the company for you. I'm of the opinion that there is NO salt in any of their food. NONE. Not even a HINT.

I agree about the prep for the food. Hopefully it's just your chef, keeping the seasoning down for his clients. I'm kinda torn about trying food in Germany, having grown up with it as "comfort" food, I'm thinking it just won't be what I'm used to!

I'll second the request for the rain, and you can try to share the chilly weather...We have had one cool day here this summer, it's getting unbearable.

Every meal we've taken in town has been wonderful. I've missed German food so much.

We are in Trier today and it's once again cool and rainy. The TV says 64F...is the expected temp this morning.

Denise....Avalon is the company for you. I'm of the opinion that there is NO salt in any of their food. NONE. Not even a HINT.

Believe it or not, that could be great for me. Have a little high blood pressure and try to eat low sodium. My Doctor would approve. [emoji56]

64F is our kind of temps, that's why we holiday spring/fall. I don't salt my food, so hopefully won't find to much difference with the food. How is the wifi on the boat?

You will be fine then. Wifi has been very good. Not good on the sundeck but has been outstanding in our cabin and in the lounges.

Enjoy Paris, hopefully the rain will clear up. Glad to hear wifi isn't bad, if I'm up on the sundeck, I hope to be enjoying the view, not on the phone or tablet. I'm not hooked to my toys, so as long as I can download my pics in my cabin, I'll be ok.

Caviargal, we don't have data on our phones, we only have pay-as-you-go. We are looking at getting a chip in Amsterdam for calls, but are perfectly happy with wifi.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Caviargal, we don't have data on our phones, we only have pay-as-you-go. We are looking at getting a chip in Amsterdam for calls, but are perfectly happy with wifi.

Not sure what data has to do with photos though. I plug my iphone into my laptop and transfer pics over. Same for camera. No internet needed.

Sounds like you may not have a smart phone since they require a data plan (at least the iphone does).

Ok, now I see what you are talking about. I have an iAccess, so I can take pics off my iPhone without data, or if taking a lot, can have them go directly to the micro ad card. I upload my pics to google pics later. All I need on the go are cards, and cameras, phones & tablets all take the same.