And the journey has begun!

Rebel54

Are there lots of long selfie sticks attached to the younger crowd? We saw them all over on our recent S Germany , Austria tour. Fortunately no one on our coach tour used them.

Those things are EVERYwhere......and the people that use them..(mostly) are so annoying. Let me stop here in the middle of this crowd, abruptly, so I can take a picture.

I can't remember if I talked about this before when I discussed Terezin...BUT...we had this young couple on our tour. She was a cute, flouncy little thing with a pretty little (tasteful, neat) dress on and her hair in a pony tail. I'd say she was in her early, mid twenties. She bounced like she was a cheer leader ALL the time. So we are in the room with the sinks that didn't have water...and I'm trying to get a good perspective shot of the sinks...and I'm waiting for her to move...while she takes selfie after selfie in one of the mirrors over a sink. Of all places to want a mirror selfie....UGH. I wanted to snatch her by the perky little pony tail and walk her right to time out.

I read recently that overall tourism is down 25% in France this summer, which may explain why some French river cruises have declining numbers of passengers. I also suspect that the glut of new ships as well as fear from terrorist attacks have reduced bookings. I'm curious to know if other cruise lines have had unfilled cruises this summer. I've received notices in the mail from Vantage offering very high discounts on quite a few 2016 cruises; these prices were not advertised on their website, possibly because they don't want to publicly advertise such low rates.

Our Scenic cruise in early May to Bordeaux was sold out. And the AmaCello next to us was almost sold out as well, according to some people we met while in the check in line at the airport that were aboard her the same dates. Seems like some lines are more affected than others.

Those things are EVERYwhere......and the people that use them..(mostly) are so annoying. Let me stop here in the middle of this crowd, abruptly, so I can take a picture.

I can't remember if I talked about this before when I discussed Terezin...BUT...we had this young couple on our tour. She was a cute, flouncy little thing with a pretty little (tasteful, neat) dress on and her hair in a pony tail. I'd say she was in her early, mid twenties. She bounced like she was a cheer leader ALL the time. So we are in the room with the sinks that didn't have water...and I'm trying to get a good perspective shot of the sinks...and I'm waiting for her to move...while she takes selfie after selfie in one of the mirrors over a sink. Of all places to want a mirror selfie....UGH. I wanted to snatch her by the perky little pony tail and walk her right to time out.

Really? In the bathroom? People are clueless. Our tour guide at the Louvre told us that the selfie sticks have become a real problem and the museum might decide to ban them. I couldn't get over people blocking the view of the Mona Lisa while taking countless selfies in front of the painting. I wanted to grab their sticks and tell them to look at the painting, not themselves!

I wanted to snatch her by the perky little pony tail and walk her right to time out.

I hear you, and boy do you sound like an 'old salty Chief'! :D

Shame when you can't lock their heels, then have them do pushups until you're tired.

From an old crusty soldier, enjoy your trip. I'm enjoying reading your updates. Less than 2 months until our sailing.

Edited by ural guy

Our Scenic cruise in early May to Bordeaux was sold out. And the AmaCello next to us was almost sold out as well, according to some people we met while in the check in line at the airport that were aboard her the same dates. Seems like some lines are more affected than others.

I just received an email today from Scenic, offering free air for 2017 France cruises. They are also offering some nice discounts for France cruises in August and October 2016. Possibly cruise lines are starting to get cancellations on France cruises? The new prices are a great opportunity for those who can make travel plans on short notice. I couldn't find the offer through the Scenic website, but here's the link from my email:

https://www.scenicusa.com/search-results?q=france&utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Fly%20FREE%20to%20France%207.27%20©%20(2)&utm_content=&spMailingID=15055551&spUserID=MTc3MjI4Mzc2NDQyS0&spJobID=821980143&spReportId=ODIxOTgwMTQzS0

I'm in Washington, DC, and one of the places we went into (I can't remember which one!) said, NO SELFIE STICKS.

Reb, thank you for this great report. You sure did a great job planning your stay in Prague! Looking forward to hearing that you're relaxing on the rivership. Have a blast.

Oh, and we were there last August and it was so hot and muggy, no doubt similar to what you're experiencing. Also similar to -- here in Washington, DC!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

also enjoying your detailed blog and pictures. yes the selfy sticks are a pain and potentially dangerous. also find the thrusting of other devices at close quarters to take pictures to be a bit of a nuisance.

fascinating to watch the use of electronic devices everywhere, in cafes/restaurants people dine together but often focused on their devices rather than face to face conversations.

I just received an email today from Scenic, offering free air for 2017 France cruises. They are also offering some nice discounts for France cruises in August and October 2016. Possibly cruise lines are starting to get cancellations on France cruises? The new prices are a great opportunity for those who can make travel plans on short notice. I couldn't find the offer through the Scenic website, but here's the link from my email:

I saw that promotion but free air is not new to Scenic and their high prices are reflective of the "free" air (which BTW has a lot of restrictions, including cabin category booked). And it is not just for France.

Edited by caviargal

I hear you, and boy do you sound like an 'old salty Chief'! :D

Shame when you can't lock their heels, then have them do pushups until you're tired.

From an old crusty soldier, enjoy your trip. I'm enjoying reading your updates. Less than 2 months until our sailing.

I wish I could say I was salty, never got a chance to go to sea :(. But I am high on the "Cranky" old Chief scale.

The Mysterium tour was ok. Ended up being the only ones on it. The tour began at 8:30 pm. We met up with our guide on Kampa island over by the baby statues. He was dressed in gothic black from head to toe and carried a lantern and an old picture album (which he uses throughout the tour). From there we walked around the island and then up to Petrin Park via the funicular. We walked around the monastery and up to Hrdcany Castle. The tour tells the history of the dark arts and of alchemy in Prague. It's not really a ghost tour. Learned some interesting folklore. More about their tours here:

http://www.mysteriumtours.com/prague/the-black-angels-in-alchemists-footsteps.

The tour ended at 11:00 pm. We were both pretty beat by then.

Since we were a small group the hotel let us check out at 1200. This gave me time to get a much needed pedicure and the big guy got a workout in. We also had to make a quick run to the Palladium to pick up some toiletries. Finished packing and called for the porter to come get our bags. Check out was smooth. They will need your credit card if you charged anything to the room, despite the fact that they ask for one at check in.

Thoughts on the IC. Rooms were comfortable. Shower good and hot with great pressure. Beds..hard as rocks. Service from everyone was outstanding. I was a bit nervous having read the reviews but I have no complaints there.

After checking out we grabbed lunch at Dukes while we waited to board. While waiting for our food a lovely lady (hi Lourdes) approached me and thanked me for my blog and my posts....she'd been following me. That really made my day.

Time to get on the bus for Nuremberg. Despite there being less than 50 people (46 I believe) we had two full size coaches which took us to meet the boat. With only 25ish on each bus, it was a pretty comfortable ride. We had a guide on board who gave a bit of history as we went along, but didn't talk non-stop so there was time to enjoy the scenery in peace. There was a "comfort" stop about half way on the journey.

We are now on board and so far I'm absolutely in heaven. Check in took two seconds and we were promptly walked to our stateroom. The room is so comfortable and well appointed. The bed is so far the most comfortable one we have had on this journey. We are in the Royal Suite and I'm very glad I went for that category. I really love the extra space. Check in was seamless. The emergency drill and security briefing was ok. The cruise director (Monika) gave us all the good info and sent us off to dinner. We had champagne and cold canapes for the welcome reception. One of the guys noticed that my husband wasn't drinking the champagne so he offered him another drink...that was very proactive of him.

With such a small group it is really a pleasure to be on the boat. You don't feel crowded or desperate for space in the slightest.

We are getting ready to head off to our first tour in Bamberg so I will close for now.

More later :)

Pictures from Bamberg today:

Bamberg2016-7075-S.jpg

More here:

https://rebeccacombs.smugmug.com/Bamberg-Germany/

It was a nice morning to walk around. They split us into two groups and each small group of 25ish had a bus and a guide. The small group was perfect.

Everyone's pretty well able to keep up for the most part. It hasn't been too taxing however.

I have to say I'm loving sitting in my cabin and watching the countryside pass by as we sail onto our next destination. I didn't realize we would be in a canal for so long...

The staff is so helpful and pleasant. The only negative I have is that sometimes attention can get to be too much. Hard to get through a course without having to stop eating to tell them that you are fine. I suppose with 1/3 of the people to care for...that's going to happen.

The food isn't the best I've ever had, but it's not the worst either.

Heading out for a cruise briefing, port talk and dinner.

Edited by Rebel54

Very helpful! Thank you...I sure wasn't aware of AA's policy of letting you change as long as the date and location were the same!

Just remember that this only applies to Award flights booked using miles, if you have a paid flight then all the usual limits and penalties apply regardless of your status.

Even with an Award flight there are also some other limits that apply so do be careful :)

Thank you for posting the links to your smugmug account -- your pictures are fabulous! It looks like you've had great weather. I hope that continues now that you're on the cruise!

ETA: just read your comment on the overly solicitous staff. I know they are just trying to do their jobs, but I hate it when every time I lift a fork or spoon to my mouth, someone stops to ask if everything is OK. If I could eat in peace for 5 minutes, I'd be in a better position to tell you.

Edited by jm485

Thank you for posting the links to your smugmug account -- your pictures are fabulous! It looks like you've had great weather. I hope that continues now that you're on the cruise!

ETA: just read your comment on the overly solicitous staff. I know they are just trying to do their jobs, but I hate it when every time I lift a fork or spoon to my mouth, someone stops to ask if everything is OK. If I could eat in peace for 5 minutes, I'd be in a better position to tell you.

I can't stress enough how amazing this crew is. I am one of those people that do like to shop and eat in peace. They are quite a great team however.

Tonight they surprised me with a birthday cake and song. Pretty sweet.

Thanks for the compliments on the pics. Off to bed ... Wurzburg tomorrow.

Thanks for the compliments on the pics. Off to bed ... Wurzburg tomorrow.

If you're in town around sunset, or an hour before, head to the Alte Mainbrücke. Grab a glass of wine from the walk-up bar on one end of the bridge. Wander the bridge and people watch while enjoying the sunset and the river by evening. Doesn't get more fun than that.

We've been to Würzburg three times and this is our favorite tradition. Some people even bring take-out food, and eat while standing along the railing, sipping their wine.

When you're done, don't forget to return your glass.to the bar to get your €4 deposit (Pfand) back. I wish I was there tomorrow... :(

Really? In the bathroom? People are clueless. Our tour guide at the Louvre told us that the selfie sticks have become a real problem and the museum might decide to ban them. I couldn't get over people blocking the view of the Mona Lisa while taking countless selfies in front of the painting. I wanted to grab their sticks and tell them to look at the painting, not themselves!

I believe the Louvre has banned them now. We were there last fall and there were none in sight. However, still a lot of young selfie-takers who evidently thought the Mona Lisa could be improved with their face alongside it. :rolleyes:

Becki

If you're in town around sunset, or an hour before, head to the Alte Mainbrücke. Grab a glass of wine from the walk-up bar on one end of the bridge. Wander the bridge and people watch while enjoying the sunset and the river by evening. Doesn't get more fun than that.

We've been to Würzburg three times and this is our favorite tradition. Some people even bring take-out food, and eat while standing along the railing, sipping their wine.

When you're done, don't forget to return your glass.to the bar to get your €4 deposit (Pfand) back. I wish I was there tomorrow... :(

This is going in my notes for next year! Sounds like a wonderful end to an afternoon.