And the journey has begun!

Rebel54

Just remember that this only applies to Award flights booked using miles, if you have a paid flight then all the usual limits and penalties apply regardless of your status.

Even with an Award flight there are also some other limits that apply so do be careful :)

Oh!! OK...that makes sense! We unfortunately don't book that many award flights so won't be a bonus for us very much!

Rebel...so enjoying the review..esp of Avalon! I just think 7 nights on the cruise is going to feel ridiculously short for us!

Chris

Oh!! OK...that makes sense! We unfortunately don't book that many award flights so won't be a bonus for us very much!

Rebel...so enjoying the review..esp of Avalon! I just think 7 nights on the cruise is going to feel ridiculously short for us!

Chris

We are in Wurzburg now. Just finished a city walking tour and lunch and getting ready to board the bus for Rothenburg. We are in a great location and the view out of our cabin this morning was amazing.

Wurzburg-L.jpg

Edited by Rebel54

Wurzburg was a nice experience. We were split up into three groups. French speaking and two English speaking. The bus ride to the Residence was quick. We arrived about 15 minutes before it opened and Avalon had made arrangements to get us in early. We had a gentleman guide that spoke perfect English and he told the story very well. What a beautiful building. Amazing how the main vaulted ceiling managed to survive bombing despite the building around it being damaged.

After our tour of the Residence, we were given the choice to bus back or continue on a short walking tour of town and then walking back to the boat on our own. We wandered around town a bit, through the market. Enjoyed some sausage and a pretzel. The walk back to the boat was easy and enjoyable.

I've never seen an artichoke flower before....it was really pretty:

Artichokes-L.jpg

Following lunch we boarded buses to Rothenburg. I've been a few times before but it was a long time ago so it was nice to return. The walk from the bus was quick and easy. One couple elected to take a cab in...which the guide arranged for them. Once we hit the town center DH and I elected to walk off on our own and meet back up at the designated time. We walked around the wall a bit to get a nice upper view of the town. After that we walked back into town for a quick trip to Kathe Wohlfahrt's. That's just as I remember it. I picked up an ornament for my grandson.

http://wohlfahrt.com/en/

Bus ride back to the boat was about an hour. The guide kept giving us history on the farmers and little villages in the area.

We signed up for the bistro dinner. So after the port talk we had a seat for that. It was just ok. I'm sad to say that as expected I have been a bit underwhelmed with the food. Not sure if it's that I'm picky or it's just not great. There was plenty to eat and the staff worked hard to make sure that everyone was enjoying the occasion and had plenty to eat.

After dinner the boat had to pull over to take a guest off. She apparently wasn't feeling well so they called an ambulance for her. They did a great job getting that arranged and it was a quick procedure.

Today is supposed to be a slow easy sailing day down the Main. Woke up to beautiful forests and went down for a nice breakfast. At 1300 we are due in at Mitlenberg for a couple hours with a walking tour. For some reason we've been stopped for the last hour...perhaps picking up the passenger that went to the hospital??

Right now just sitting in my cabin enjoying the river. Have the TV set to the front camera that way if there's something I want to see on the opposite side of the river, I will hopefully see it before it's too late to run to the back and get a couple pics.

Edited by Rebel54

We signed up for the bistro dinner. So after the port talk we had a seat for that. It was just ok. I'm sad to say that as expected I have been a bit underwhelmed with the food. Not sure if it's that I'm picky or it's just not great. There was plenty to eat and the staff worked hard to make sure that everyone was enjoying the occasion and had plenty to eat.

Glad that you are having a great trip, other than the food being disappointing. We found the food on Avalon quite pedestrian and took advantage of local dining options when docking times allowed.

Miltenberg on a Sunday. Very quaint little place. Great walk along a mostly pedestrian area. The little ally ways held great surprises. I would love to come here another time and go out early before the people start moving about to photograph it. This town is post card perfect.

Those things are EVERYwhere......and the people that use them..(mostly) are so annoying. Let me stop here in the middle of this crowd, abruptly, so I can take a picture.

I can't remember if I talked about this before when I discussed Terezin...BUT...we had this young couple on our tour. She was a cute, flouncy little thing with a pretty little (tasteful, neat) dress on and her hair in a pony tail. I'd say she was in her early, mid twenties. She bounced like she was a cheer leader ALL the time. So we are in the room with the sinks that didn't have water...and I'm trying to get a good perspective shot of the sinks...and I'm waiting for her to move...while she takes selfie after selfie in one of the mirrors over a sink. Of all places to want a mirror selfie....UGH. I wanted to snatch her by the perky little pony tail and walk her right to time out.

I have to say, though, that I wished for a selfie stick a few times. We had several tall people who lined the front with conventional cameras and made it impossible to get pictures. At changing of the guard in Athens, I got down on the sidewalk and shot between their feet. It wasn't the perspective I wanted, but at least I got a few shots. One of them was quite irate because he could have tripped over me.

So, the ones with the selfie sticks are not the only rude ones with cameras. I suppose it was rude of me to get down on the ground to shoot, but I did so want pictures of something I will probably never see again.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Properly used (and not abused) selfie sticks are a really handy tool to have. I just make sure that I'm not going to poke anyone with it and don't take more than two or three shots at a time. Definitely makes me more comfortable than handing my phone to a stranger to get a picture of me and my DH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Properly used (and not abused) selfie sticks are a really handy tool to have. I just make sure that I'm not going to poke anyone with it and don't take more than two or three shots at a time. Definitely makes me more comfortable than handing my phone to a stranger to get a picture of me and my DH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I saw on our last two European cruises, I believe you might be in the minority, but I hope others watching you may adjust their behavior based on yours. :)

For those that behave as adults, I think selfie sticks have their place. But for self-absorbed young people, who take 10 min. to take a photo, look at it, and then have to start over, NO, not while others are patiently waiting to take a quick shot. Plus, in Istanbul, going into the Blue Mosque, I nearly got whacked by one that was swung around by a young lady who was totally unaware of her surroundings or those in it. Luckily, I remained aware and was able to dodge it. :(

Becki

I have to say, though, that I wished for a selfie stick a few times. We had several tall people who lined the front with conventional cameras and made it impossible to get pictures. At changing of the guard in Athens, I got down on the sidewalk and shot between their feet. It wasn't the perspective I wanted, but at least I got a few shots. One of them was quite irate because he could have tripped over me.

So, the ones with the selfie sticks are not the only rude ones with cameras. I suppose it was rude of me to get down on the ground to shoot, but I did so want pictures of something I will probably never see again.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I can understand your frustration. My husband and I are both tall, and when we want to take a photo in an area that is quite popular, we try to be aware of others who are not as "height-advantaged" :D as we are, and let them get in front of us, or line up our shot and quickly move aside. At the Louvre, there was a young lady trying to get a shot of the Mona Lisa, and I encouraged her to move in front of me, because I was trying to get the right focus for my shot.

Becki

Rebel,

Thank you so much for your live report and your amazing photos. I have shared this link with a friend as she is taking this cruise in a couple of weeks, although on Viking, and she will very much appreciate some firsthand info. She will especially appreciate your info on Prague, as she has been there many times and always looks for something new to do.

Becki

I'm sad to say that as expected I have been a bit underwhelmed with the food. Not sure if it's that I'm picky or it's just not great.

When we were researching our first river cruise, I paid special attention to reviews of food. I figured the rivers were all the same, the ports were mostly the same, the excursions were likely to hire many of the same people -- so the biggest variable was going to be the food. AMA came with the best reviews, and they didn't disappoint. Since you have been disappointed with the food on this cruise, consider AMA for your next one. :)

When we were researching our first river cruise, I paid special attention to reviews of food. I figured the rivers were all the same, the ports were mostly the same, the excursions were likely to hire many of the same people -- so the biggest variable was going to be the food. AMA came with the best reviews, and they didn't disappoint. Since you have been disappointed with the food on this cruise, consider AMA for your next one. :)

I certainly will! The next one I want to do is the Christmas Market cruise. So I'll be researching that next.

Our first few river cruises were with Avalon and back then there were not nearly as many reviews available and this forum was far less active. After the last Avalon cruise on Panorama, we had pretty much decided that river cruising was just not for us. The food and wine were very disappointing, the excursions offered nothing for active travelers (which we are) and the entertainment was dismal.

While attending a wine tasting in 2010, we met two couples who had cruised with AMA and had wonderful things to say about the entire experience. There was a wine cruise with St. Francis Winery on the AmaDante in fall of 2011 and we went and loved it! It was night and day from our previous river cruise experiences and we have been fans ever since.

I know many that post here say that they stick with the first line they cruise with but in our case, it is the opposite. We have very much enjoyed our AMA cruises and branched out to experience Scenic and Uniworld as well and enjoyed them all. Very glad that we did not dismiss river cruising altogether based on our early experiences.

Edited by caviargal

Rebel,

Thanks for posting. I just checked on Marinetraffic.com and I see that you're cruising the Rhine gorge. Hope you get lots of great castle photos. We leave 4 weeks from today for a cruise on the Artistry II going from Paris (Remich) to Amsterdam. Take good care of the ship for us!

FuelScience

Rebel,

Thanks for posting. I just checked on Marinetraffic.com and I see that you're cruising the Rhine gorge. Hope you get lots of great castle photos. We leave 4 weeks from today for a cruise on the Artistry II going from Paris (Remich) to Amsterdam. Take good care of the ship for us!

FuelScience

Just finished up a little while ago. The castles were amazing. We had a beautiful day up on the deck. It was a bit chilly so I had to put on a sweater but it was well worth it.

... But for self-absorbed young people, who take 10 min. to take a photo....

Young or older, I get really annoyed with those that snap a pic and then hold the camera as if it needs to finish developing or something.

Point, shoot, move on.

I'm sad to say that as expected I have been a bit underwhelmed with the food. Not sure if it's that I'm picky or it's just not great. There was plenty to eat and the staff worked hard to make sure that everyone was enjoying the occasion and had plenty to eat.

Hi Rebel, glad you are enjoying your cruise, but wondering what is wrong with the food. Is it just the flavours, or type of food you are getting? I have looked for menus online, can find several from almost any other cruise line but Avalon. Now that they have changed their menu to "healthy eating" do they still have the regional dishes?

Thanks, and hope the weather holds and you keep having a great time. Really enjoying your reviews.

Hi Rebel, glad you are enjoying your cruise, but wondering what is wrong with the food. Is it just the flavours, or type of food you are getting? I have looked for menus online, can find several from almost any other cruise line but Avalon. Now that they have changed their menu to "healthy eating" do they still have the regional dishes?

Thanks, and hope the weather holds and you keep having a great time. Really enjoying your reviews.

I am also interested in your opinion of the food. What didn't you like? We found the food on both our Avalon cruises in 2013 and 2015 to be excellent. My husband and I have very different appetites; he loves seafood and more adventurous dishes while I choose lower fat dishes due to digestion issues. Don't want to get sick on vacation! We always found choices that we enjoyed, some more than others. Of course, food likes and dislikes are very personal; a dish I find wonderful you might find quite boring!