Upcoming Baltics Cruise & Smartphone Safety

suspaul

Hi. We're leaving in a few weeks for a cruise in Scandinavia & St Petersburg and our neighbor mentioned we should not bring our smartphones when off ship due to sophisticated equipment by the 'bad guys' who can obtain our personal information, etc on the phone. We travel a lot throughout Europe, earlier this year we spent a few weeks in Vietnamese & Cambodia and I always take my smartphone as I use it for the camera. We've never had a problem in the past of being scammed and having our info compromised. Not to say it couldn't happen but just wondering, has anyone else heard this or had issues?

Thanks in advance for all responses.

Hi. We're leaving in a few weeks for a cruise in Scandinavia & St Petersburg and our neighbor mentioned we should not bring our smartphones when off ship due to sophisticated equipment by the 'bad guys' who can obtain our personal information, etc on the phone. We travel a lot throughout Europe, earlier this year we spent a few weeks in Vietnamese & Cambodia and I always take my smartphone as I use it for the camera. We've never had a problem in the past of being scammed and having our info compromised. Not to say it couldn't happen but just wondering, has anyone else heard this or had issues?

Thanks in advance for all responses.

Put the phone in Airplane mode. It will be safe from hacking and you can still use it as a camera.

Thanks for taking the time to answer SadieN & clarea.

I did think about just switching off the data/wi-fi and airplane mode is a good alternative too. I've just gotten so used to using it for the camera which takes better photos than my Sony camera and didn't want to drag along one more thing.

I took my phone on our recent Baltic cruise and used it in all the ports.

Stick a VPN client on for WiFi access and you'll be fine.

Don't connect to random Bluetooth pairings, etc.

Hi. We're leaving in a few weeks for a cruise in Scandinavia & St Petersburg and our neighbor mentioned we should not bring our smartphones when off ship due to sophisticated equipment by the 'bad guys' who can obtain our personal information, etc on the phone.

Crime stats in Scandinavia are very low compared to in the US. These types of American myths crack me up (and I'm American). I live in Scandinavia and have traveled all over Europe and have never had a problem. How do these people think the residents of these foreign countries live day to day if people are always stealing our handbags, jewelry, personal data, etc.?

That said, if you're concerned, I second the flight mode suggestion.

Edited by ExpatBride

ExpatBride, this is NOT a negative post, I too have lived in Europe and travel a lot. I think our neighbor was well meaning and concerns he mentioned was not theft of personal belongings but of any info we have on our smartphones.

I don't post frequently due to the fact of asking a question and having it go off the rails.

ExpatBride, this is NOT a negative post, I too have lived in Europe and travel a lot. I think our neighbor was well meaning and concerns he mentioned was not theft of personal belongings but of any info we have on our smartphones.

Right. And as someone who has lived in the region in question for over 6 years, I gave you a firsthand perspective of the situation/risk.

Don't connect to open WiFi networks, anyone can name a WiFi to what ever they want and make it open. Lets say that you coming to St Petersburg and find an open WiFi network that's named St Petersburg Port Free WiFi, how do you know if it's a legit port WiFI or someone how are trying to get access to your phone? You don't.

Just keep WiFi, NFC and Bluetooth with the settings that you have to accept to connect and you will be fine as long as you don't connect to any unknown networks. If you go somewhere and has to get a access code to connect to the network you a useally safe to do so (@ example Mc Donalds, Burger King, IKEA and so on).