GEM arriving back in NYC home port "on-time" today, not yet docked

mking8288

Good morning, heads up as FYI - the GEM is scheduled to arrive in NY at 8 AM, normally and this morning - doing just that, still coming up the Hudson River at the moment and yet to turn onto her berth, Pier 90.

This is running, in practice, about an hour later than usual - most of the time, she's docked by 7 AM to 7:30 AM, clear by port authorities, and Priority Walk-off called before 8 AM.

It looked as if, that's the earliest Priority Walk-off won't be coming off until 8:30 AM - anyone with tight transportation connections this morning is going to feeling uneasy, especially with the temperature already rising ... literally, already at 81 degree. Good luck & let's hope everyone will be smooth.

GEM was sailing around 13 knots around midnight, around & off the coast of Altantic City, NJ already - with 2 sea days coming back from Nassau.

Anyone heading to sail the GEM today, good luck & expect boarding to run later than usual. It's a good thing that this is a smaller ship so it won't be as bad. There is no formal CC Meet & Greet on this run.

Re-checking port's live webcam, almost turning toward the piers ;) @ 7:45 AM EDT, not going to docked until 8 AM or later for sure. Just another reason for cautioning even those with priority disembarkation status to not book flights, trains, buses & car service pickup, etc. too early - this week's timing is definitely one of those non-typical "on-time" arrival. I can imagine what it's like onboard now for those already standing inline with all their luggage, waiting & wondering - eager to get off. Have a smooth & safe trip getting home for those onboard & good luck and same to those heading there.

Update @ 7:59 AM, not yet docked but alongside the pier now - on live webcam.

Edited by mking8288

What a nice, detailed update to read, thank you!! I sail out on the Gem next Sat.(7/30). Postings like this one only add to the excitement!:) We are driving ourselves and parking in the terminal lot for the first time, so fortunately won't need to worry about getting off quickly when we arrive back. It's always helpful to know how things are running though to gague how embarkation will go. Again, thanks!

... sail out on the Gem next Sat.(7/30). Postings like this one only add to the excitement!:) We are driving ourselves and parking in the terminal lot for the first time, so fortunately won't need to worry about getting off quickly when we arrive back. It's always helpful to know how things are running though ...
You are welcomed. Was up early watching oversea news update & had to double check marine traffic + cams to make sure, she's "normally" early & docked by 7:30 AM, not this morning - still edging her way up the Hudson.

Being our homeport and 30 minutes from pier, we are never in a rush or need to panic or worry about flights & things, just local traffic jams getting there. Disembarkation, never in a hurry and if we could stay onboard, remain there as long as needed to enjoy breakfast in the MDR and watch the mad rush & long lines, tempers flare and people cutting in lines for the queues ... not fun & far too stressful. Enjoy your cruise vacation & have a safe one.

Good news is that GEM is the only ship at MCT today. BA will be back tomorrow and "alone" with the QM2 docking over in Brooklyn. Ground transportation to/from the piers should run smoothly.

... This morning ny harbor webcam seemed more focused on the RC ship arriving. Safe sailing everyone!
Hi, there. I trust all is well. Wishing & dreaming yourself to be on one of the cruises next :D

Folks had been outside now waiting/looking for their rides for a little while, she docked. Looked at the AIS data, scheduled arrival was 10:35 UTC and her actual arrival/full stop was reported as 13:07 UTC (8:07 EDT) or almost 2.5 hours late - sailed up the river just under 10 knots (not exactly slow & she sailed out of NY at a much faster. Not seeing or hearing of any usual harbor traffic & AOS docked at Bayonne early as usual.

Last thinking of booking the GEM last Fall but went with plan B. Debating a last minute booking this Fall on the GEM, things happening and now got the "other" lines on our radar instead. But with low airfares and other bundled packages - might be doing one of them instead.

Edited by mking8288

What a nice, detailed update to read, thank you!! I sail out on the Gem next Sat.(7/30). Postings like this one only add to the excitement!:) We are driving ourselves and parking in the terminal lot for the first time, so fortunately won't need to worry about getting off quickly when we arrive back. It's always helpful to know how things are running though to gague how embarkation will go. Again, thanks!

Don't forget the parking coupon:

https://www.nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal/parking/

Thanks Buford...already have it printed :) Splitting the parking fee with 2 others so it's not too hard to swallow. Coming from central NJ, I can't believe how high the price quotes are from limo companies. Have sailed from NY 3 times and was lucky to have family to drop off/pick up. This time we are 6 in my minivan...only concern I have is enough luggage space(Did I mention it's 6 females)?!?! At least half are professional overpackers);)

How come there is only a discount for the Gem, not the Breakaway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been asked by many before ...

See this picture & all that wonderful parking spaces, wide open - Pier 90 is normally used by the GEM. BA is a bigger ship & apparently, the parking lot is "better" utilized = revenue. A half empty rooftop parking is not good, thus, the discount - even for 7 days worth of parking.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160522/36d8713a4b54aadbe603416632958d26.jpg

P.S. It's only valid for the GEM and not accepted for the Breakway. Others have tried & reported that it was not used for the BA sailings at Pier 88. Anyone is welcome to print it out, bring it along & ask when arriving to check-in as it is payment upfront, cash or credit cards accepted. BTW, Valet Parking (off-site) has gone out of business - East Coast/New York Departures have all the FAQ's

... Is there also a coupon for the Breakaway or just Gem?
Please see above. Edited by mking8288

We just got off the Gem this morning- we docked about 8am and were cleared between 8:30-8:45am. By the time our color was called, it took about 1.5 hours to disembark and get through Border/Customs. I hope people had enough time to make flights and such.

There was a note in our room (can't remember if it was in the Freestyle Daily or in a separate note) on the first night that weather conditions would push our arrival time into NYC back to 8:30am. I remember being surprised that they already knew a week before that our arrival would be late, but it was accurate. It was a great week and we had a blast! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome home again to those on the GEM, you are almost there - how was the weather & ride coming back up. Checking NY's portcam, GEM has finally turned into MCT pier at 8 AM, clearing the ship & disembarkation will be running a "little" bit late - hope those of you with tight train, bus & especially flight connection can make it ...

Another case of deja vu ?

fb6271277ea089b636e85b19301155f0.jpg

05eaf389741875d0bfecaa1beade21e8.jpg

Edited by mking8288

Good morning, heads up as FYI - the GEM is scheduled to arrive in NY at 8 AM, normally and this morning - doing just that, still coming up the Hudson River at the moment and yet to turn onto her berth, Pier 90.

This is running, in practice, about an hour later than usual - most of the time, she's docked by 7 AM to 7:30 AM, clear by port authorities, and Priority Walk-off called before 8 AM.

It looked as if, that's the earliest Priority Walk-off won't be coming off until 8:30 AM - anyone with tight transportation connections this morning is going to feeling uneasy, especially with the temperature already rising ... literally, already at 81 degree. Good luck & let's hope everyone will be smooth.

GEM was sailing around 13 knots around midnight, around & off the coast of Altantic City, NJ already - with 2 sea days coming back from Nassau.

Anyone heading to sail the GEM today, good luck & expect boarding to run later than usual. It's a good thing that this is a smaller ship so it won't be as bad. There is no formal CC Meet & Greet on this run.

Re-checking port's live webcam, almost turning toward the piers ;) @ 7:45 AM EDT, not going to docked until 8 AM or later for sure. Just another reason for cautioning even those with priority disembarkation status to not book flights, trains, buses & car service pickup, etc. too early - this week's timing is definitely one of those non-typical "on-time" arrival. I can imagine what it's like onboard now for those already standing inline with all their luggage, waiting & wondering - eager to get off. Have a smooth & safe trip getting home for those onboard & good luck and same to those heading there.

Update @ 7:59 AM, not yet docked but alongside the pier now - on live webcam.

eager to get off?? never !!! Well at least not us.We always go and and have a nice breakfast, then go back up and and get our carry one, never ever want to rush on the last day......but then again we live across the River so we only have a Ferry ride to our car and then a 40 min ride home.No fuss no muss...

Just off this a.m. Great week of weather, minus the rainy sail away last Saturday. Chose the "walk off", but stood in line for close to 1.5 hrs. with several heavy bags among the 6 of us. Seems half the ship opting for this type of departure. Customs backed up. Parked at the pier and wasn't in any huge rush, but sailing Breakaway in Nov. and will go back to checking bags night before and only dealing with carry-ons.

Not enough to put a damper on a perfect cruise vacation though. Enjoyed a nice breakfast in Grand Pacific before hand...highly recommend this over the crowded buffet area which we've always done in the past.

Safe and happy cruising to those sailing out today :)

We will be returning to NYC via Gem in a few weeks. We plan on doing walk off with our two small roller boards. We have a car pick up time of 9:45am...Are we going to have to get in line at 8am....was hoping to get the latest time for walk offs...Do you know what time that is? Were there any other ships in port that day?

I can only base my opinion on what happened this a.m., with an 8 a.m. terminal arrival time. They announce walk-off passengers at approximately 8:40. By the time we made it to the end of the line on deck 7 it was close to 9. We made it out of Customs at 10:30. Perhaps if you are one of the first to get off (which wasn't us as I was stuck at the customer service desk line trying to locate lost eyeglasses...ugh)! you can make it by 9:45 pick up. Typically the Gem docks much earlier so you'd have plenty of time. But same as the prior sailing, it was printed on the Day 1 Freestyle Daily that we'd be arriving back to NYC at 8:30. Not sure if this is a "new norm"?

I'm definitely going to pick a nice late departure time based on this information for our Gem cruise next week. Why stand in line for that long when I can sleep in, eat a leisurely breakfast and enjoy some last moments on the ship.

What time was Grand Pacific open for breakfast departure morning?

Remind me because it's been 2 years- if I put my bags out night before and select the latest "colored" tag for departure, what time will that be? And at what point do you pick up your bags? Meaning, how long would I have to stand in line dragging my bags though?

Edited by conandrob240

We are sailing on the Sep 3 Canada/New England, so I think we just go thru customs. The lines should not be that long. We don't have a flight until 1p from Newark but have a car service set for 9:45a.m.

We are as little as 30 minutes from NYC home-port (MCT) so never in a hurry to get off the ships on disembarkation morning, but for more than a few folks - this can be a "challenge" to watch out, "for your convenience".

This might be, I say "might" - be a troublesome new "norm" for anyone on the GEM and the Breakaway with "tight" flight connections in the late morning to catch, and, trains & buses and even meet & greet private car services/limo pickups, etc. with a designated time.

Just read 2 reports/reviews about the BA and just a little "troubled" by what was said by others - let this be a "heads up" for anyone sailing soon on the GEM and the Breakaway, even if you have priority disembarkation - to re-evaluate and plan your disembarkation & ground/air transportation time accordingly ... be flexible or else, you might not be happy, specifically for NYC only.

I will continue to keep our eyes on this - we know that for the Breakaway, she sailed with plenty of time and engine speed in reserve (and, if necessary for medical or other reasons - can arrive back in NY harbor by 4 or 5 AM for medevac and used to dock as early as 7 AM as a matter of routine) GEM is a smaller & even faster when it needed to and most definitely, low tide is an excuse - pure nonsense, IMO.

Very few active CC Roll Calls lately on both ships, for whatever reasons, but - already cautioned someone on the East Coast Departure sub-forum as they often post there for tips & advice about related matters.

Yesterday morning's Breakaway arrival - "right" on time docking at 8 AM ... I know many of "us" had been spoiled about being in the rooftop parking lot and driving home at 8 AM before ... the leisure ones with the color tags not making their way out of the terminal closer to 11 AM or even later, not a good sign. Hope & Change [emoji14]

54a01b1db9556faf4d0d75f8defa0445.jpg

383421b15572c743af413a5d83a48fb7.jpg

Edited by mking8288

We are as little as 30 minutes from NYC home-port (MCT) so never in a hurry to get off the ships on disembarkation morning, but for more than a few folks - this can be a "challenge" to watch out, "for your convenience".

This might be, I say "might" - be a troublesome new "norm" for anyone on the GEM and the Breakaway with "tight" flight connections in the late morning to catch, and, trains & buses and even meet & greet private car services/limo pickups, etc. with a designated time.

Just read 2 reports/reviews about the BA and just a little "troubled" by what was said by others - let this be a "heads up" for anyone sailing soon on the GEM and the Breakaway, even if you have priority disembarkation - to re-evaluate and plan your disembarkation & ground/air transportation time accordingly ... be flexible or else, you might not be happy, specifically for NYC only.

I will continue to keep our eyes on this - we know that for the Breakaway, she sailed with plenty of time and engine speed in reserve (and, if necessary for medical or other reasons - can arrive back in NY harbor by 4 or 5 AM for medevac and used to dock as early as 7 AM as a matter of routine) GEM is a smaller & even faster when it needed to and most definitely, low tide is an excuse - pure nonsense, IMO.

Very few active CC Roll Calls lately on both ships, for whatever reasons, but - already cautioned someone on the East Coast Departure sub-forum as they often post there for tips & advice about related matters.

Yesterday morning's Breakaway arrival - "right" on time docking at 8 AM ... I know many of "us" had been spoiled about being in the rooftop parking lot and driving home at 8 AM before ... the leisure ones with the color tags not making their way out of the terminal closer to 11 AM or even later, not a good sign. Hope & Change [emoji14]

54a01b1db9556faf4d0d75f8defa0445.jpg

383421b15572c743af413a5d83a48fb7.jpg

I will probably catch some flack for this, but if

someone books a flight on disembarkment day

so close to time, then they only have themselves

to blame, anything can happen, better to book a late departure

then having to rush and get all nervous on your last

day. I'm still in vacation mode that day, no stress needed

I will probably catch some flack for this, but if

someone books a flight on disembarkment day so close to time, then they only have themselves to blame, anything can happen, better to book a late departure then having to rush and get all nervous ...

;) Not from me ...

Amazing that sometimes, folks would get "blessed" by others that it's okay to book that 11 AM or noon flight out of LGA or EWR, that there's plenty of time, etc. etc. LGA just started a long-term, 5 year project to expand and construction delays within the airport grounds & interior roadways are just horrible ... taking as much as 30+ minutes from the airport exit off the Grand Central Parkway to reach one of the 4 terminals for dropoffs (and, pick-ups.)

Knowing the airfare differences on midday vs. afternoon & evening flights - I understand why someone would book that 10 o'clock Amtrak out of NY Penn Station as they are still a long way home ... or, if they are flying on miles with limited flight options, etc.

Now, this morning ... trying to fly anywhere with Delta tickets is a big problem, worldwide.

Computer servers crashed, all systems down & DL planes going nowhere ... just heard from someone at JFK, it's a zoo inside 2 of the terminals used by DL. Not FAA or weather related ... Southwest also had issues 3 or 4 weeks ago.

Back on NCL, we've been spoiled on all those early arrivals - so, let it be a warning to not take matters for granted. NCL just need to say it straight, keep it simple & direct, and not say it's related to low tide.

Edited by mking8288

Just off this a.m. Great week of weather, minus the rainy sail away last Saturday. Chose the "walk off", but stood in line for close to 1.5 hrs. with several heavy bags among the 6 of us. Seems half the ship opting for this type of departure. Customs backed up. Parked at the pier and wasn't in any huge rush, but sailing Breakaway in Nov. and will go back to checking bags night before and only dealing with carry-ons.

Not enough to put a damper on a perfect cruise vacation though. Enjoyed a nice breakfast in Grand Pacific before hand...highly recommend this over the crowded buffet area which we've always done in the past.

Safe and happy cruising to those sailing out today :)

Glad you enjoyed your cruise.

Will be off the Gem Sept 24 leaving jfk for London in the evening. We are planning to take the bus tour and wondering what time we will arrive at jfk, flight not until 18.30. What is the departure time from the pier please?