cancellation fee from online agency

cruzin girl

I just received an email fom the online agency that I booked with and they told me they that they would cancel the reservation when I sent them a credit card # so they could deduct 75.00 per person for a cancellation fee. The cruise is still 8 months out. Has this ever happened to anyone?

Unfortunately this is becoming a normal procedure for discount online cruise agents. They can nickel and dime you to death on cancellations, name changes, cabin changes, etc., etc... :rolleyes:

The cheaper prices are worth it if your plans are set in stone but if you anticipate any changes I'd stick with a TA with a phone number and agents that can make changes and cancellations without the extra charges. :)

Several of the online agencies do have a $75 cancellation charge. If you don't give the agency their cancellation fee they will not cancel your booking and you will not get your deposit back. Sadly, this is in the fine print under policies. You probably had to click an "I agree" link when you booked.

Cruizingirl it sounds as though you have not given them (Princess) your deposit yet. If you have you can go directly through Princess to get your deposit back just as long as the TA forwarded your deposit to them in the first place. You have the right to have Princess apply that deposit on another cruise as long as you are outside the penalty period. Worse case scenerio dispute the origianal deposit charge with your credit card company. I am not sure if you are deposited yet or not and why is the TA not using your original CC #. Sounds like you have a few options.

Actually we had a future cruise credit from our last cruise so it was a ghost booking and that is where my deposit came from.

From what I understand - agencies can charge a fee for cancellations (I refuse to use an agency that does this). And you probably consented to this during a fine print moment.

I would see if you can get around it (not sure if you can). I would call Princess and say that you are not pleased with the agency and that you want to move your booking to them. They will probably have you fax a letter to them saying that you no longer want Agency 1 to handle the booking and that you want Princess to handle this. Once you get it moved to Princess - you can then transfer it elsewhere (Princess is good about this) or cancel it and have the $100 moved back to your Circle Account/Bank or receive a refund. Not sure if this will work but it is worth a try. If they don't have your credit card number, they may not be able to charge you the cancellation fee.

I have just received an email from a gentleman from the online agency saying that the fees have been waived. I am not sure what happened there. I know that I have learned a lesson on asking about cancellation fees BEFORE I book. Thanks for your imput!

Lots of online agencies charge that cancellation fee. expedia, orbitz travelocity are some to name a few. It is one of the questions that you should ask.

Some agencies also charge to take your booking.. check that too. So the price may seem lower to you but in thelong run--whenyouadd up any fees it charges--- you are paying more in the long run.

Ok, I am speaking as an agent. I don't know what the online sites charge and don't charge.

As an agent I do charge a cancellation fee ($25.00) if one of my clients cancels a cruise or land package. The reason that I do this is that it can take me hours and hours of research, answering questions etc. before the final decision is made and deposit placed. If a client cancels I receive 0 compenstion from the supplier. I also make sure that my clients purchase insurance so that they do not lose any of their money if they have to cancel. I cannot purchase insurance to protect my commission.

I don't think that alot of people understand how and when we are paid.

I take alot of time in finding and planning the perfect vacation for my clients. In return I expect compensation either from the client or the supplier.

Just my 2 cents.

SRussel: I understand what you are saying-- I mean you did do work-- but online when you book you have toknow what you are booking -what ship what cat etc.etc. If I go to an agent and say I want to book a on the date of B and give me cat c the agent did no work except book me.

Would you still charge the $25.00pp to cancel that booking?

Cruzin Girl make sure that your Ghost booking gets put back in your circle savings account. They are notorious for taking forever to post them back and watch even after that because I have had them taken off for several days and then suddenly reappear. :eek: Good Luck.

Serene56

I actually charge the cancellation fee on a case by case basis. If someone is a long standing client I will waive the fee. Also, if they intend to just postpone the vacation and rebook at a later time I will waive the fee.

There is alot more to taking care of a client and their booking than just entering a deposit and final payment. Such as watching for a lower fare, making sure all forms are filled out and making sure travel documents are correct. If one of my clients cancel I also take care of all insurance issues.

I realize that most of the comments about cancellation fees were directed at online agencies but I just wanted to point out that there is alot more to taking care of a booking than passing on a credit card number to a supplier. Especially when problems arise.

I booked my last cruise through an agency that has a large online presence, and have booked previously with them. I do all the work, reserve directly with Princess, and have the agency pick up the booking as they offer me a better price.

This last booking when I received the email confirmation of the reservation, the email indicated that they would impose a $75 cancellation fee. I objected to them imposing this fee "after the fact" and they told me they would not waive it, but I could cancel then and there if I wanted to without the $75 charge. While I did not cancel the reservation, I do not intend to use this agency again, and I so advised them.

While I don't begrudge someone charging for their services, I don't like the way this agency didn't advise me prior to having them pick up the reservation. And they could have, because I got a quote from them electronically, and they easily could have advised me of the cancellation fee at that time.

Serene56

I actually charge the cancellation fee on a case by case basis. If someone is a long standing client I will waive the fee. Also, if they intend to just postpone the vacation and rebook at a later time I will waive the fee.

There is alot more to taking care of a client and their booking than just entering a deposit and final payment. Such as watching for a lower fare, making sure all forms are filled out and making sure travel documents are correct. If one of my clients cancel I also take care of all insurance issues.

I realize that most of the comments about cancellation fees were directed at online agencies but I just wanted to point out that there is alot more to taking care of a booking than passing on a credit card number to a supplier. Especially when problems arise.

I can understand that if you had invested a lot of time in the booking....

I use a real agent, not an online agent but I do all the research myself and just call and tell her the ship, the date and the category. I am also compulsive myself about checking prices so while I know she does this generally, she can't check as often as I want the prices checked, so I check them myself and let her know if I see a price drop. As long as I continue to do all the research myself - I don't want to have to pay a cancellation fee (and when I cancel - it is often just to switch to a different sailing). If I was asking an agent to do research, I would expect to pay her for her time if I did not take the trip.

Serene56

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Most "bargain" online agencies are cutting costs by limiting direct contact with agents. I would not expect an online agency to provide the level of service a seasoned TA would provide. So, as with any service oriented business, you get what you pay for.

I think the "small print" part is confusing to many new cruisers so I only recommend full service agents that can handle the details including cancellations, room changes, name changes, etc., without additional fees.

Its too bad because now I don't want to use them. However they did have good prices.
Good prices can be measured in many ways. Even as a TA I can get taken. In spring I booked a room in Laughlin NV for June. I booked via an internet company, went to cancel a $28.00 room and the cancellation was $50 per person. Guess what< I didn't cancel; we had planned just to NO SHOW but ended up going. When I got my conformation, did I read the small print? Nope. Many companies are charging processing fees now but $75 cancellation is a rip off. I think even a processing fee is, but $75 NO WAY. Do not pay!!! NMNita

Serene56

As an agent, I do not charge, but our company (a major cruise company) does give us the option. I do know what you mean and yes, we do lots of research, but normally it is the research prior to booking that is time consuming. I have been lucky, when they book they normally carry through. It's the ones that hours to research and go somewhere else that are loosing propositions. I had one last summer, very specific as to what cruise she would take and what company. To make a long story short, I found the best I could after maybe 10 hours of research over a few weeks. Her husband finally told me they would consider xyz line. I found exactly what they wanted, called them, he said he would have her call me later that night. Guess what, she booke with someone else, the cabin I had given hubby the information on. Needless to say, she isn't a client anymore. NMnita

I can understand that if you had invested a lot of time in the booking....

I use a real agent, not an online agent but I do all the research myself and just call and tell her the ship, the date and the category. I am also compulsive myself about checking prices so while I know she does this generally, she can't check as often as I want the prices checked, so I check them myself and let her know if I see a price drop. As long as I continue to do all the research myself - I don't want to have to pay a cancellation fee (and when I cancel - it is often just to switch to a different sailing). If I was asking an agent to do research, I would expect to pay her for her time if I did not take the trip.

You are my kind of client. I have a couple like you and could use you as well. LOL

Archived