My Time Dining Question

I have been on many RCCL cruises and typically book "My Time" because I love the flexibility. I read a thread on cruise critic discussing the option of not making a reservation. Some posters said that the most they had to wait was 5 minutes and only 1 said that they had to wait 20-25 minutes once. I have always made a reservation and feel that the hostess pushed me into making the reservation. Other cruise lines do not require a reservation. Anyway, my question is: If I am willing to wait to be seated do I have to make a reservation? I don't mind waiting as I can have a cocktail before dinner at the bar. I look forward to everyone sharing their personal experience with me. I will be cruising on the Freedom on the Seas the end of August. Thanks to all for sharing your experience! ....... Pat

Thank you so much for your reply. I can't believe that I was pushed into a reservation. I knew that didn't sound right to me and each time I argue with the hostess but still allow her to push me into making the reservation.

Thank you so much for your reply. I can't believe that I was pushed into a reservation. I knew that didn't sound right to me and each time I argue with the hostess but still allow her to push me into making the reservation.

Just know that you may have to wait. I think it's rare, but I've read reports here of people showing up at 7pm and being told to come back after 8:30pm.

I am the poster who had to wait 20-25 minutes once. But that was because we requested a particular waiters section.

I believe that night the hostess offered to seat us right away, but not in his section. We preferred to wait for what was definitely going to be top notch service.

Like I said in my previous post, it was like mimicking assigned dining. He know our preferences, always smiling, even made suggestions based on his knowledge of our likes and dislikes.

And it was walk-up every time. Not one reservation.

Bottom line: You DO NOT need reservations with MTD. Period.

Harvey

Thank you. The first night there is a choice of 5:30 or 7:30. I figure if the wait is too long we can either go to Lido -- not a great option for me but I would do it, or get room service. I don't want to stress over dinner. LOL After all, I will be on a cruise. I like the 7:00 time slot but I have never been lucky to get that time.

Thank you. The first night there is a choice of 5:30 or 7:30. I figure if the wait is too long we can either go to Lido -- not a great option for me but I would do it, or get room service. I don't want to stress over dinner. LOL After all, I will be on a cruise. I like the 7:00 time slot but I have never been lucky to get that time.

Then book the 7:30 slot and show up at 7:00, maybe you will get in early.

It certainly is not worth one iota of stress. Dining is one of my favorite parts of cruising.

It seem to me having to make reservations defeats the purpose of MTD.

And even if there's a wait, there's a nice comfortable chair or sofa to sit in while waiting. Or a lounge nearby. That's not stress, that's relaxation.

Relaxation is another one of my favorite parts of cruising. Win win situation.

Harvey

It certainly is not worth one iota of stress. Dining is one of my favorite parts of cruising.

It seem to me having to make reservations defeats the purpose of MTD.

And even if there's a wait, there's a nice comfortable chair or sofa to sit in while waiting. Or a lounge nearby. That's not stress, that's relaxation.

Relaxation is another one of my favorite parts of cruising. Win win situation.

Harvey

I am all about the relaxation! This will be my 5th time on the Freedom of the Seas -- Love that ship!

This is our first time with RC and we have MTD because we like the flexibility of eating when we want to. But after reading many posts about MTD and reservation, we chose 5:30 because we like to eat early. My question to seasoned RC cruisers is, what if one day I choose to eat later, will they still let me in or will they turn me away because I missed my reservation? Thanks!

This is our first time with RC and we have MTD because we like the flexibility of eating when we want to. But after reading many posts about MTD and reservation, we chose 5:30 because we like to eat early. My question to seasoned RC cruisers is, what if one day I choose to eat later, will they still let me in or will they turn me away because I missed my reservation? Thanks!

No, they won't turn you away. However, if you know ahead of time that you won't be making the 5:30pm reservation, it would be good to call them to release that time to others, and possibly make a later reservation if you like.

They will absolutely not turn you away.

The seasoned cruisers would advise you, however, to let the dining room know, when you know, that you're cancelling your 5:30 reservation.

And then, like I said before, show up when you're hungry.

Harvey

Edited by Mack704

Although I asked the original question I am a seasoned RCL cruiser. Yes, they will allow you to dine later. My issue with the my time on RCL is that the hostess has not been pleasant to deal with. I am not sure why but that has been my experience. As I said earlier, I allowed the hostess/hot to bully me into making a reservation. I love RCL and hope you will also! Happy Cruising!

There definitely were significant waits on Brilliance at the beginning of the month if people hadn't made reservations. I did as I don't feel like I'm "tied down" since I usually eat around the same time - and find early too early and late too late - but there was one woman pitching a fit that she didn't want to have to make reservations but wanted to show up at 7 and be seated immediately. Because of the number of people who had clearly (as most nights I saw the same people eating around the same time and at the same tables with very few empties scattered around) made reservations, apparently the earliest people just walking up at 7 without reservations were being seated was 9pm. Could have been an anomaly, but I would just be prepared that if you're on a sailing with a lot of people who make reservations, there MAY be a very long wait for a table.

It makes uncomfortable to hear about any employee of the cruise line being unpleasant or have a 'bullying attitude'.

I might mention that to the dining room manager.

Harvey

I was totally shocked with the attitude but it happened on more than 1 cruise. That is why I wanted to make sure that I didn't have to make a reservation. Oh, and I did mention it to the manager on 2 cruises. I love RCCL however I do not like their my time pressure. The my time dining is the only real issue I have with this cruise line.