Spirit dry dock upgrade?

Deehitchen

• 3 weeks later...
I know the spirit is going into dry dock early 2017,

Just wondering does anyone know what changes are likely to be made such as new dining or drinking areas?

And hopefully they will upgrade the staterooms and cabin bathrooms... The pictures I have seen look horrendous and a lot of complaints about odor. Does anyone know what areas will be changed?

And hopefully they will upgrade the staterooms and cabin bathrooms... The pictures I have seen look horrendous and a lot of complaints about odor. Does anyone know what areas will be changed?

I know the spirit is going into dry dock early 2017,

Just wondering does anyone know what changes are likely to be made such as new dining or drinking areas?

On our Spirit B2B cruise April 2016, we were told that La Cucina (italian) will be a formal restaurant as opposed to a cordoned area of the Buffet on the Port side.

They will be replacing carpets in various areas. They mentioned something about redoing the ceramic/grout in the cabin bathrooms.

Sorry but my memory fails me wrt the other changes.

It is unfortunate that NCL does not publish detailed proposed upgrades to their fleet. It is always a generic statement part of their Edge program.

Andre

I can't say I've ever read complaints about the Spirit and odors. The Sun, yes, Spirit, no and we were on the Spirit in December and all over the ship.

The staterooms in many cases are dated so that will be interesting to see what they do there. Also hoping they don't change the public area decor too much as it is very unique and beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...

NCL Spirit is unique to NCL's fleet as she wasn't built for NCL and Freestyle Cruising. She was originally named "Super Star Leo" and came over from Star Cruises; I believe that NCL & Star swapped ships and that is how she ended up as part of NCL's fleet. We sailed on her back in '04 to Alaska shortly after she became "NCL Spirit" and later when she re-located to NYC.

We haven't been on her in quite some time but we really loved sailing on her when we did. Because she was built by Star for their Asian market her decor is VERY different than the other ships in NCL's fleet but that's part of her charm.

I wouldn't hesitate to book a cruise on the Spirit.

Tom K.

I haven't looked at every second half 2017 cruise for Spirit, but all the ones I have checked do not show any cabins available for Deck 10 so I wonder if they are looking at doing something with the cabins on that deck? I would doubt if all of the Deck 10 cabins are sold out alredy.

NCL actually significantly increased the length and amount of money they will spend on the Spirit drydock after a visit by FDR.

Most of the current Norwegian Edge dry docks involve stripping all of the public areas down to the deck plates and rebuilding with a more contemporary look and feel. This includes places like the theater.

Rooms usually get new carpet, furniture, flooring, tiling. In our room on the Epic, they left the wall paper and wood paneling.

The hull and external decks are repainted.

I suspect that all of the decorations selected by the Chinese priemere and his wife will be in a dumpster. Along with the Roman decore from the pool.

Here's what they did on the Dawn

Edited by BirdTravels

I haven't looked at every second half 2017 cruise for Spirit, but all the ones I have checked do not show any cabins available for Deck 10 so I wonder if they are looking at doing something with the cabins on that deck? I would doubt if all of the Deck 10 cabins are sold out alredy.

We booked our 2017 Spirit cruise back in February and we couldn't get anything to come up on deck 10, either - but our PCC could and booked us in without any problem. I wonder if they're going to make changes that will result in a renumbering...

• 2 weeks later...
NCL actually significantly increased the length and amount of money they will spend on the Spirit drydock after a visit by FDR.

For early 2017, I only see a gap in the Spirit's schedule from January 16-21, 2017, which is really only 4 working days. Is that the scheduled time for the dry dock and if so, how is it possible to make significant changes in such a short time?

In this post from the spring, it was speculated that Spirit would be in dry dock from January 16 to February 3, and this has been posted on other sites as well:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2349064

However, there seems to definitely be a January 21 Canary Islands sailing scheduled (and with available cabins)?!?

Didn't it take an entire month to get Dawn up to the "Norwegian Edge" standards?

Edited by A.Emgee

Wait for it,,,,,

It's called cruise cancellations.

If they are changing the scope of the dry dock, they need additional A&E and supply chain work. Until that is all nailed down and they can schedule time in a dry dock, you'll see a full schedule.

Then the dreaded emails and letters go out saying that your cruise has been cancelled, you'll offered an alternate cruise date and $300 air fare change fee (with a receipt). And a series of "we hate NCL" threads on CC.

We intentionally booked a repositioning cruise after a dry dock last year. We got rescheduled 3 times (as late as a month before our cruise.) Not as bad as the POA which was rescheduling a few days before cruise.

Spring 2017 is what is in the plan for the Spirit.

Thanks for the information, BirdTravels.

I am new to NCL, but that sounds really terrible to notify people with such little notice of a cancellation.

I hope the Spirit has come out of dry dock in time for our planned March 2017 Canary Islands cruise.

Thanks for the information, BirdTravels.

I am new to NCL, but that sounds really terrible to notify people with such little notice of a cancellation.

I hope the Spirit has come out of dry dock in time for our planned March 2017 Canary Islands cruise.

That is going to be one busy ship, as I am booked on that ship, too in March 2017 for a Med Cruise

Cruisedeckplans site reports dry dock from Jan 16 to Feb 3. That is quite a long time.

NCL are still selling cruises in that time period, though.

10 nights on 06 Jan from Barcelona

12 nights on 21 Jan from Barcelona

which just leaves a few days in between in Barcelona.

My cruise in April finally shows balconies available after them being 'sold out' for a month or two (but at double the price we paid back in February of this year!)

NCL are still selling cruises in that time period, though.

10 nights on 06 Jan from Barcelona

12 nights on 21 Jan from Barcelona

which just leaves a few days in between in Barcelona.

My cruise in April finally shows balconies available after them being 'sold out' for a month or two (but at double the price we paid back in February of this year!)

Something very dodgy is going on with those cruises. It's becoming to the point where I wonder if NCL are actively trying to deceive people. Because they couldn't possibly be so stupid as to continue to allow bookings for cruises that will certainly be cancelled. I mean, just how long are they going to let this continue? Will they bother to tell the poor people that are going to lose out on their holiday before final payment date?

That is going to be one busy ship, as I am booked on that ship, too in March 2017 for a Med Cruise

We're also booked on 22Mar2017 on the Spirit. I noticed the other day it says all balcony cabins are sold out. We are in a balcony on deck 10. Should I be worried about this? I haven't bought plane tickets yet, but am now hesitant to do so...

That's what I was thinking as well and why I thought maybe the scheduled dry dock had been deferred for our cruise as these cabins suddenly became available. However this may also be how they handle inventory for the guarantee cabin rates. It would make sense to sell the higher priced cabins first and use the lower priced cabins for the guaranteed rate inventory.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

Most of the current Norwegian Edge dry docks involve stripping all of the public areas down to the deck plates and rebuilding with a more contemporary look and feel. This includes places like the theater.

Rooms usually get new carpet, furniture, flooring, tiling. In our room on the Epic, they left the wall paper and wood paneling.

The hull and external decks are repainted.

I suspect that all of the decorations selected by the Chinese priemere and his wife will be in a dumpster. Along with the Roman decore from the pool.

Here's what they did on the Dawn

We just got off the Epic today, and I spoke to a future cruise consultant about the Spirit drydock. We had been in port a few days before with the Spirit and she said she talked to her colleagues and the dry dock had been shortened to 5 or 6 days. She was a bit reticent and wouldn't talk about it further.

Personally, I speculated that they're just going to limp it through a bit longer and then offload the ship. But only FDR knows!

We just got off the Epic today, and I spoke to a future cruise consultant about the Spirit drydock. We had been in port a few days before with the Spirit and she said she talked to her colleagues and the dry dock had been shortened to 5 or 6 days. She was a bit reticent and wouldn't talk about it further.

Personally, I speculated that they're just going to limp it through a bit longer and then offload the ship. But only FDR knows!

Yes. That is what a short dry dock means.

We were on the Spirit in April. At that time, they were talking about extending the dry dock and spending a lot more money because of the condition of the ship. At the time, they specifically attributed the decision to spend more money and extend the dry dock to FDR wanting to modernize the ship. Can't do much in a 5 day dry dock.