Need A Little Help From My Friends!!

HeatherInFlorida

How can you say that? You live in Orlando -- have you been to the areas down here hit by the storm?

As a victim of the hurricane and a member of the print media, I am insulted at the insensitivity of your comments!

Bravo! I agree with you 100%! Thank you for having the courage to say what I did not.

Channel 5 has done an excellent job of keeping everyone informed of what is going on, WITHOUT repeating the same info adnauseum (sp?). Thank you Channel 5 for streaming on the net so that we who are not there are able to keep up with what is going on with our loved ones. It is appreciated more than they know.

Luckily nothing in my frig. Basically emptied before we left. No problem there, but still can't get in touch with anyone in my area. No word at all. I'm heartsick.

Thanks so much for trying!

Heather,

I am in Miami/Gables area and power came back on late evening yesterday.....If you would like you may email me your friends/family's phone numbers and I will try and contact them for you and report back. My email is mscinmia@bellsouth.net.

BTW....things down here are getting better, more and more power restored daily and the lines for fuel are getting shorter. There are 6 stations in the Metro Zoo area SW 152 St/137 Ave open with little to no lines and no maximum limit..........Also the Snapper Creek station on the turnpike is also fully loaded with no lines.............I know it is a haul for those up north, but it might be worth it instead of getting frustrated on the long lines. Plus you could get a hot meal.

There are still pockets down here that are pretty bad the further north you go.....Southern Dade county seems to be recovering the quickest.

Hang in there Southern Florida...........we will get thru this once again......

Dear Heather:

Living in NE Broward County near the PB County line, we were anticipating that our power would not be restored until 11/22/05 (FPL estimate). We were thrilled when our power came on last evening after only 4 days. I haven't heard too many reports about PB County but Boca was slammed (my office is located there) and as you know by now, Broward County got hammered.

I too consider myself one of the lucky ones, power restored just as we were running out of gas to run the generator..........Initial damage estimates for our home shouldn't exceed $40,000 and no one was hurt.

Enjoy your much anticipated time on the Summit and try not to fret too much -

I hope that when you return home things will be a little more "normal" (or what passes for normal in SoFla - LOL).......

Heather- I know you are paying hi email chges, but I just want you to know that there are many of us thinking about you until you can reach someone at your home area to find out about the situation. Maybe today, while you are at sea, you will get through and then will hear that all is now much better in FL. We went through this years ago during Agnes in 1972. Take care!

Thanks everyone! So much terrible news. No point in trying to contact anyone. They know to email me as soon as they can. Clearly, it's bad news in my area since I get no response.

Oceanwench, thanks so much for all the info. All this money spent on internet charges and most of it just waiting for pages to open. DH is ready to kill me but I just feel I've abandoned everyone and everything.

We're still having such a good time but I can stop thinking and dreaming of what's happened at home. Now I don't even know how we'll get home from FLL if we can't reach our friends by next Sunday. I have to just hope. I can't believe power hasn't returned to our location. We're one of the quickest back up usually.

Thank you all so much for being there ... you're my only contact.

Heather stay positive.

Just because they power hasn't been turned on yet, does not mean your home sustained any damage.

Like my aunt said about where she is in Del Rey. The power is out and that certainly is an inconvenience, but thankfully there is no real damage to any of the bldgs near her.

Obviously all your friends and neighbors you are trying to reach are still without power otherwise you would have gotten an e mail from them, but that doesn't mean they are in trouble or forced out of their homes.

I know it has to be nerve wracking to be so far from home and unable to find out whats going on, but I am sure everything will be fine

Still thinking and praying for you

Heather,

Each day gets better ... the curfew for the county NORTH of Southern Boulevard is extended to 11 p.m. That's a good sign that power is being restored to most of those areas, which includes you!

South of Southern and in the Glades it is still 9 p.m.

The hardest hit areas in Palm Beach County were Boynton and south. Boynton has estimated damage to homes and businesses at $100 million!

That's the highest I've seen so far.

Boca is estimating damages at $1.3 million.

I think you and I, living north of those areas, are very lucky this time around.

I am sure your friends will be in Fort Lauderdale to meet your ship -- they just can't contact you to tell you so! Keep us up to date here on that situation, in case we can lend a hand. We can get you back to WPB, not to worry!

And a special thanks to CC for providing this board and letting many of us report on the aftermath of the hurricane and the situation in South Florida.

The information posted here is so important to those cruising now or planning to cruise soon.

Yes, hopefully just their internet is out. You are all so kind and wonderful and I thank you all so much. Such a magnificent cruise, but this just sort of sits on my head and I can't stop worrying. Still so glad to be here on this wonderful cruise with such wonderful people.

You are all so wonderful and I thank CC for letting this thread stay. It's my only contact with anyone anywhere near my home and it means more than I can say.

Oceanwench, thank you so much for all your help. Babyher, thanks for trying to keep me upbeat.

Just saw the most magnificent sunset from our verandah here in Costa Rica. Tomorrow at sea and Tuesday thru the Panama Canal headed toward home. Hopefully things will be even better in a few days.

It's the not knowing.

Just to let everyone know, all is well with Heather's house. Just some minor damage.

Her power is on.

I spoke with one of her friends, who is picking up Heather in Fort Lauderdale Sunday.

Good news!!! :)

Now she can thoroughly enjoy this week of the cruise!!!

Yes, many thanks to Oceanwench for reaching my friend and neighbor. Unfortunately, the damage to our screen enclosure is much worse than I thought, but the important thing is we're better off than most other people!! It seems that it will have to be pretty much replaced which is a huge expense and we'll have to be closed up until it's repaired.

Considering the massive problems so many are having, I'm hugely relieved and so grateful to everyone for your support and offers of help.

Lisa, I have the times upstairs in our cabin. I know we go under the bridge at 6:45 EST (it's now 3:30 pm). I'll get the other times for you. That would be so much fun to see the picture. Thanks for offering!

RCI's Radiance of the Seas is going through tomorrow as well.

Heather,

Oh, sorry it was your screen enclosure! I thought your window screens were damaged! :(

Our screen enclosure was ripped apart and one piece part of the support structure ripped off. Almost everyone in our neighborhood had damage to their pool screens.

I hope tomorrow is exciting for you!

I'm back! We go through the first lock at 7:50 a.m. (EST I'm sure) ... so don't think you'll be taking any pictures then!!! :)

We clear those locks at 9:10 and thru Pedro locks at 9:40 clearing at 10:30. We go thru the Gatun Locks at 2:20 pm.

Thanks again, everyone!

With any luck I can catch the Summit going thru the Gatun Locks. Which should be 11:20 PST. I plan to start watching early here at work.

Here is the link for others that might want to watch. They have improved the picture of the web cam and it is much larger and nicer.

http://www.pancanal.com/eng/photo/camera-java.html

So exciting!!! We're in the Milaflores locks and I just saw your post, Oceanwench. So here we are soon to go under the Centennial Bridge.

I'm sitting in the internet room and just waved at the cam in here and my nephew saw me on the CelebrityAtSea site!!! Technology is so amazing.

Feeling so happy today. This is the greatest experience and the best cruise ever in my life!

Heather

So glad to hear that Oceanwench and your neighbors have gotten reports to you. And very glad to hear that your power is back on. Screened porches - expensive but at least it wasn't the main part of your house.

Thank heavens for insurance.

Now you can relax and enjoy the rest of your anniversary cruise.

Archived