Morning of cruise, will this work?

Tammyd549

Firstly I want to thank everyone who has helped me plan our trip thus far, those who have left me comments and suggestions have been VERY helpful. If any of you ever come to Vancouver, I will return the favour!

That being said, I need some advice/input on my itinerary for the morning of our cruise (Sunday Aug 14) . We are staying at the Marriott in Newark Airport, we plan to take a taxi at approx 8am to the W in Hoboken (check our bag with the bellman), have breakfast, walk around a bit , pick up some wine and catch a ferry to the Midtown Pier and walk to the Manahatten Cruise Terminal (google maps says 10 min walk, we only have 1 bag plus a backpack so, should be fine?)

Thoughts, suggestions?

Tia!

Firstly I want to thank everyone who has helped me plan our trip thus far, those who have left me comments and suggestions have been VERY helpful. If any of you ever come to Vancouver, I will return the favour!

That being said, I need some advice/input on my itinerary for the morning of our cruise (Sunday Aug 14) . We are staying at the Marriott in Newark Airport, we plan to take a taxi at approx 8am to the W in Hoboken (check our bag with the bellman), have breakfast, walk around a bit , pick up some wine and catch a ferry to the Midtown Pier and walk to the Manahatten Cruise Terminal (google maps says 10 min walk, we only have 1 bag plus a backpack so, should be fine?)

Thoughts, suggestions?

Tia!

Your main problem is going to be buying wine. I checked the Sunday hours for several Hoboken wine stores and it appears they all open at noon. There is also no wine at Newark Airport or anywhere near the airport.

The good news is that there is ferry service on Sunday's from Hoboken 14th St to 39th St in Manhattan. Much of the NY NJ ferry service does not operate on weekends. However the W is about 1.2 miles from the ferry terminal, so you might want to take a cab.

On the New York side, it is about a .6 mile walk from the ferry terminal to the pier.

Carlos Bakery seems to be a popular destination in Hoboken because of the TV show Cake Boss.

Yes, NJ has some of the most complex liquor laws in the US, and allows the municipalities to set operating hours. Newark does not allow liquor sales before noon on Sunday, and Hoboken at 11am. You may do better off getting your wine the night before.

Yes, NJ has some of the most complex liquor laws in the US, and allows the municipalities to set operating hours. Newark does not allow liquor sales before noon on Sunday, and Hoboken at 11am. You may do better off getting your wine the night before.

That's not going to be easy from the Marriott at the airport.

OP - are you committed to staying at the Marriott? What time does your flight arrive? There are possibly other options.

You'll be spending $50 or more for the taxi to Hoboken, plus your ferry fare. If the main reason for taking this route is to pick up a bottle of wine, I'd take a NJ Transit train from the Newark Airport station to NY Penn Station instead, buy a bottle of wine in NY (Penn Wine and Spirits is right in the station), and then take a quick, inexpensive taxi ride to the cruise terminal.

Note...the store also opens at noon on Sunday

http://www.yelp.com/biz/penn-wine-and-spirits-new-york

Being from Vancouver, I'm thinking the OP likes ferries. I know I had a wonderful ferry ride in Vancouver in May. I think the plan is also an excursion for the day.

I was raised in Staten Island, so I hate ferries. I spent half my life from childhood through early adulthood riding those blasted things in order to get to and from Manhattan (Better known as "The City".). :D

We now return to our regularly scheduled program...

Your main problem is going to be buying wine. I checked the Sunday hours for several Hoboken wine stores and it appears they all open at noon. There is also no wine at Newark Airport or anywhere near the airport.

The good news is that there is ferry service on Sunday's from Hoboken 14th St to 39th St in Manhattan. Much of the NY NJ ferry service does not operate on weekends. However the W is about 1.2 miles from the ferry terminal, so you might want to take a cab.

On the New York side, it is about a .6 mile walk from the ferry terminal to the pier.

Carlos Bakery seems to be a popular destination in Hoboken because of the TV show Cake Boss.

Thanks, wine is not crucial. I could actually pick it up the day before when we have the rental car, I just saw a Walgreens close by and thought I could grab some , no big deal but good to know about the liquor laws !

And yes, Cake Boss was on our list to visit :)

That's not going to be easy from the Marriott at the airport.

OP - are you committed to staying at the Marriott? What time does your flight arrive? There are possibly other options.

We are committed to the Marriott, already pre paid. Why will it not be easy? I thought catching a cab Sunday morning should be relatively easy, no?

Being from Vancouver, I'm thinking the OP likes ferries. I know I had a wonderful ferry ride in Vancouver in May. I think the plan is also an excursion for the day.

Yup :) and I thought seeing the NY skyline from NJ would be nice since we won't get a chance on the return.

Thanks, wine is not crucial. I could actually pick it up the day before when we have the rental car, I just saw a Walgreens close by and thought I could grab some , no big deal but good to know about the liquor laws !

And yes, Cake Boss was on our list to visit :)

Keep in mind that in most cases, you need to buy wine at a liquor store in NJ. There are a few supermarkets that sell it, I don't know about a Walgreens, though.

I know this is not part of the plan under discussion, but I just wanted to remind folks that starting next weekend in August, there is no weekend PATH service from Hoboken to 33rd St in Manhattan from Friday midnight-ish to 5 am Monday morning. http://www.panynj.gov/path/33rdstreetlineclosures.html

On Sat and Sun there will be service Newark to World Trade, Journal Square to Hoboken, and Hoboken to World Trade.