Taking a FAN on board - good deal

Saw some posts where others were asking if you can take a fan on board. Answers were mixed, but most said battery operated was allowed.

Just wanted to share that today one of the Big Box Home Improvement stores has a small battery or USB operated fan for under 5.00 bucks. 5 inches was the size - I did say small!

Some use it for the noise and sound purposes, not cause they are hot.

Just asking the question

If the fan is just for the comfortable background noise,, why not just download the app to your smartphone and go with that.

I've got night sounds (crickets chirping, frogs croaking, etc), summer rain storms (light rain with thunder in the background), and waves crashing on the beach. All of these play for about 90 minutes and allow me to fall asleep when in unfamiliar places or on a plane.

Just asking the question

If the fan is just for the comfortable background noise,, why not just download the app to your smartphone and go with that.

I've got night sounds (crickets chirping, frogs croaking, etc), summer rain storms (light rain with thunder in the background), and waves crashing on the beach. All of these play for about 90 minutes and allow me to fall asleep when in unfamiliar places or on a plane.

I've tried that. It just doesn't work for me. I've tried the sounds you use, the white noise setting, rain, etc. I need the fan. I'm sure at least some of that is psychological. :o

I need airflow, and don't care about noise.....I bring a small electric fan....batteries required to run a battery fan all night, every night, are just too heavy! And, my O2 fan doesn't blow hard enough for the airflow I need....

When a cruise ship goes into dry dock, the aircon is often switched off for a number of days or (sometimes) weeks. This is a major inconvenience for all the crew living onboard. So the ship purchases dozens - sometimes hundreds - of electric fans to make it more comfortable.

After the drydock, some or all of those fans are kept onboard in case of aircon problems in crew and pax cabins.

Additionally there are many passengers who go ashore and purchase electric fans during a cruise. Some of these people do not want to carry the fans home. They leave them onboard.

Every cruise ship l have worked on had a large supply of electric fans of all sizes. We frequently loaned the fans to anyone who asked.

You need only contact the cruise line before your cruise and request a fan in your cabin - or speak to the reception desk when you get onboard.

Prior to our last cruise (on Maasdam) I read posts about AC issues. For the first time, ever, I packed a small electric fan and was very glad I did. Our cabin was very warm, and the fan helped us manage. It was not confiscated by HAL. Nice to know, though that HAL has fans available, if desired.