Freedom of the Seas Cruising Questions

Humor_Me

Hello Everyone,

We are taking our first ever cruise in 2 weeks and are very excited. We are going on a 7 day Western Caribbean Cruise aboard RC’s Freedom of the Seas. I’ve been ‘lurking’ around the message boards looking for tips and advice and have found them to be very handy—so thank you to both poster and responders. Naturally I still have some questions and any responses would be appreciated.

Background: We are 2 young women who are looking for relaxation and fun (aren’t we all :D), so no children to look after means more flexibility with activities. We are not party animals nor big drinkers, but we wouldn’t say no to dancing and a cocktail or 2, so long as it’s dark and the drinks are good, lol. I’ve booked through RC’s website, so I have no agent to work with and the research is starting to get overwhelming— I can feel the pressure to book things!. This is our “big” trip of the year and we want to make the most of it without having to pay more than we have to, so we have more money to spend on activities/excursions/ cocktails. On to the questions:

Questions:

1)Transport: We don’t drive, so renting a car is not possible. I think RC only provides transport if you book via their Air2Sea program—which we didn’t. Any recommendation on transport companies or taxi lines? We obviously don’t live in Orlando, so we don’t know what is available.

2a) Excursions: Are there any differences in the prices online vs. onboard? Some of the excursions we liked are no longer available online, do they save some spots for onboard booking? Will there be more excursion options onboard? Any more companies offering excursions on board like in hotels? We like the idea of booking via RC for the peace of mind of safety and making it back to the ship on time. If you have any names to drop, please do so and I can research them.

2b) If you’ve traveled here recently, which excursions would you recommend, alternatively which ones did you find to be a waste of time and money?

3a) Staterooms: I splurged on a balcony for a few reasons, I though it would be nice to enjoy the outdoors while sailing and :o I am afraid of the dark and the inherent pitch darkness of the interior rooms freaked me out a bit. That being said, how is the lighting at night in a balcony room? Should I still pack a night light?

3b) Someone mentioned soot in the aft cabins in another post, is this still an issue? Also, are the doors still magnetic?

4) Ports: Any ports where you would recommend taking your passport. We’d like to enjoy the beaches at the ports and passports are not waterproof.

4b) What happens if you loose/misplace your Seapass while in Port?:confused:

4c) A friend mentioned we had booked at the most active time during hurricane season—any advice?:eek:

5) Disembarking: This friend also advised that I don’t go crazy shopping at the ports —they know me so well— and there was a list they give you at disembarking listing the amount of items allowed by customs. Is this list available before boarding?

5b) We booked a flight after 12pm at the suggestions of some posts, does this suggestions still stand?

6) Is the Voom surf and stream worth it? I wanna keep up with the Olympics :D Is live TV available?

7) Are there any activities/ foods/ anything we should take full advantage of as 1st time cruisers? Have any other advice for us?

Thank you in advance for reading my long post and providing any response to any question/concern. I’m hoping this will the first of many cruises. :D

Hi there and welcome.

Although this board is for First Time cruisers, your questions are specific to Royal Caribbean, so let me give you the link to that specific board and using Copy/Paste you can re-post your comments there. You have asked a lot of questions, but I'm sure members on that board will help you with the ones they can.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83 <--click here for RCI forum

Hello Everyone,

1)Transport: We don’t drive, so renting a car is not possible. I think RC only provides transport if you book via their Air2Sea program—which we didn’t. Any recommendation on transport companies or taxi lines? We obviously don’t live in Orlando, so we don’t know what is available.

Google is your friend -- search for Port transportation to/from MCO. The drive takes about an hour so I hope you have figured your travel time accordingly.

2a) Excursions: Are there any differences in the prices online vs. onboard? Some of the excursions we liked are no longer available online, do they save some spots for onboard booking? Will there be more excursion options onboard? Any more companies offering excursions on board like in hotels? We like the idea of booking via RC for the peace of mind of safety and making it back to the ship on time. If you have any names to drop, please do so and I can research them.

Its a crapshoot if excursions that are not showing any more will actually be available on board. Rule of thumb is to book if you see something you want to do. I don't do ships excursions, even on my first cruise. Have a look at the ports of call board for your islands and see what is available to do on your own. ALSO check your roll call there might be a group needing to fill a private excursion and you can enjoy a less crowded van at a much lower cost than what RCCL is offering.

2b) If you’ve traveled here recently, which excursions would you recommend, alternatively which ones did you find to be a waste of time and money?

3a) Staterooms: I splurged on a balcony for a few reasons, I though it would be nice to enjoy the outdoors while sailing and :o I am afraid of the dark and the inherent pitch darkness of the interior rooms freaked me out a bit. That being said, how is the lighting at night in a balcony room? Should I still pack a night light?

Go to the dollar store an buy a couple of those battery operated tea lights, they are great to leave on in the bathroom, so you don't have to turn on those glaring lights in the middle of the night. Just turn them off in the morning. This was the best tip I ever got off these boards and I even use them now for hotels. Otherwise you shouldn't have any problem it won't be pitch black if you don't draw the curtain.

3b) Someone mentioned soot in the aft cabins in another post, is this still an issue? Also, are the doors still magnetic?

4) Ports: Any ports where you would recommend taking your passport. We’d like to enjoy the beaches at the ports and passports are not waterproof.

Unless there is something mentioned in your daily schedule, lock the passports in the cabin safe and leave them there until you disembark. No need to carry them around. There are some ports that might require a photo ID as well as your ship's key card to re-enter the terminal building so if you don't have a state picture ID then you'd have to use passports.

4b) What happens if you loose/misplace your Seapass while in Port?:confused:

Just don't lose it.

4c) A friend mentioned we had booked at the most active time during hurricane season—any advice?:eek:

Hurricane season runs from June through October -- if there is a storm you might miss ports or have itinerary changed. The Captain will keep you safe.

5) Disembarking: This friend also advised that I don’t go crazy shopping at the ports —they know me so well— and there was a list they give you at disembarking listing the amount of items allowed by customs. Is this list available before boarding?

Customs and Border Protection has an excellent website. This might answer what you are allowed to bring back to the U.S. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/544/kw/duty%20free%20allowance/related/1/suggested/1

5b) We booked a flight after 12pm at the suggestions of some posts, does this suggestions still stand?

6) Is the Voom surf and stream worth it? I wanna keep up with the Olympics :D Is live TV available?

7) Are there any activities/ foods/ anything we should take full advantage of as 1st time cruisers? Have any other advice for us?

Thank you in advance for reading my long post and providing any response to any question/concern. I’m hoping this will the first of many cruises. :D

You might want to post your questions over on the RCCL board as well, as it will be line specific answers to your questions.

Edited by Sauer-kraut

You will NOT need a night light in a balcony...athough it is dark at sea at night....light comes under the hallway door...it's NOT pitch black! You don't want to leave a balcony door open...it will get humid FAST in the Caribbean....and it will affect not only your AC but those around you. Either go on the balcony, or close the door and stay inside....either or....not both!!! Folks think they are "hearing the ocean", when all they are hearing is the wind passing their door!

You will NOT need your passport on shore...ever! Bring your DL...it's the same size as your ship's key and you should always have ID on you! I can't imagine "losing" anything...so don't worry about that...you will keep your seapass, towels and money, etc...safe...

Get a guidebook on your ports. Few things require ANY excursions! Read up on your ports and you can have a great time for very little money. None of the Caribbean Islands are inherently "unsafe"....keep your wits about you, like you would anywhere...

Hurricane "season" simply means the conditions COULD produce a hurricane....nothing changes simply because of the "season"!

Yes...after noon, or thereabouts, is fine in almost all cases.

I don't give a fig about the Olympics...can't help you there! I wouldn't spend money for that reason, I can tell you that!

There are no foods or activities that are "must do's", IMO...what you like, you will discover. If you miss it...oh well..not the end of the world.

RCI produces a decent product. Remember...this is a vacation! That's all! Have fun, relax, unwind....that's what a vacation is all about!

Edited by cb at sea

I always suggest bringing a nightlight. Preferably a battery operated one so you can place it in a desirable location. The ruins do get rather dark. We usually end up leaving a bathroom door light on with the door cracked open to give us light but that can get unreliable if the ship his some rougher waters and rocks.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 7 edge using Tapatalk.

There's usually only one US type outlet in the cabin, so plan accordingly with regards to things like hair styling devices and electronic equipment like cell phones.

You are limited to $800 spending ($1600 if you stop in St Thomas), in items purchased outside the US. After that, you will pay Customs fees. There is a limit to how much booze and cigarettes you can bring back. On the last night of the cruise you will receive a US Customs and Immigration form that you must fill out before disembarking. On that form you indicate your total amount of purchases, and if that amount exceeds your personal exemption, you will have to list every purchase on the back of the form. You may be asked for sales receipts by the Customs agents.

I have to warn you about using your smart phone as an Internet device. DON'T DO IT. Those per minute charges add up very quickly, and you could come home to a four figure bill. On my very first cruise with a smart phone, I didn't know about this, and my phone bill was huge, and I never made a single phone call.

The biggest thing is to make sure you get back to the ship on time when in ports. Ships will not wait for you if you're off on your own and you're late.

Finally, I would not recommend taking a taxi to and from the airport in Orlando. The cost would be huge as the drive to the port can be an hour, or more if there's an accident or construction.