Dream problems?!?

RMcoolX

Do you mean if there is a further issue? Because there is currently a failure that is preventing full speed. Even on one propeller, the ship will do 12-14 knots, maybe more. Right now, she should be able to make 16-18 knots.

Sorry...I guess I wasn't very clear....with THIS propulsion issue, I wonder how quick they can get the ship out of harms way. But I would "assume" if there was ANY chance of running into bad weather they would decide early on to change the itinerary and head to another location. THANKS!

Most of the "big" shore excursions/attractions (Dunn River Falls, Blue Hole, Mystic Mountain, etc.) are close to Ocho Rios. To get to them from Falmouth is about a 1 hour drive and from Montego Bay it is a 1 1/2 hour drive.

I am guessing you went here: http://www.doctorscavebathingclub.com/

I'm scheduled for a catamaran sailing in Grand Cayman and Nachi Cocom in Cozumel so I want the longest hours possible. :)

I agree that sailing down the river is a great experience.

Dr Cave's beach is where we went. Spent a nice 3-4 hours there and than bus back to ship.

I think you just gotta go with your gut on this one. I think if you go in expecting the worst case scenario of short port times or even missed ports and just making the best of it then you'll be fine because you may be a lucky one that hits all the ports perfect. I definitely would make sure you book through carnival only or through a reputable company that will refund if you are delayed or miss port since it's likely.

For me it's not worth it on this trip so I cancelled.

Sorry...I guess I wasn't very clear....with THIS propulsion issue, I wonder how quick they can get the ship out of harms way. But I would "assume" if there was ANY chance of running into bad weather they would decide early on to change the itinerary and head to another location. THANKS!

The difference in distance to outrun a storm between her current speed and the maximum speed is only 100 miles/day. She's making a good 75-80% of full speed.

With my port hours there is 15 hours between Jamaica and Grand Cayman and 18 hours between Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

So doing the math with the distances you provided at 17 knots:

15.06 and 18.88 hours

As you can see one is a little short and the other is almost an hour short. And this counts on the ship leaving on time and not having to wait on excursions, etc.

Finally, looks like there is 38 hours of time back to NOLA and at 17 knots 37.59 hours is needed.

In a nutshell, there is no slack time at all given 17 knots. (actually a shortage going to Cozumel)

Yikes!!!

It's been a few years since I was down that way, but I believe that going west from Jamaica to Cozumel you will pick up a knot of current or so.

You also have to realize that going to NOLA you have 8-10 hours at 12 knots maximum up the river.

It's been a few years since I was down that way, but I believe that going west from Jamaica to Cozumel you will pick up a knot of current or so.

You also have to realize that going to NOLA you have 8-10 hours at 12 knots maximum up the river.

Thanks for your insight, as usual. I appreciate the experienced voice sharing how and why things happen!

We must have been going faster on the river as it only took us about 6 hours each way from dock to mouth of Gulf..

We must have been going faster on the river as it only took us about 6 hours each way from dock to mouth of Gulf..

Could be, cruise ships don't displace a great deal, so their wake isn't as damaging as larger cargo ships. Most places, we're restricted to about 12 knots to keep the wake down. I'd be surprised if it took the same time up and down, given the 2-3 knot current.

Could be, cruise ships don't displace a great deal, so their wake isn't as damaging as larger cargo ships. Most places, we're restricted to about 12 knots to keep the wake down. I'd be surprised if it took the same time up and down, given the 2-3 knot current.

Good point about the current.

We went to bed the last night about 11 and thought we saw the lights of Mississippi shore line up ahead and 5 am was watching us approach the port.

Dream has been currently sailing at 18 knots since we left the Mississippi River. Had some rough seas last night but arrived in Key West on time today.

If you look back a number of posts you will see the Key West itinerary should not be affected by propulsion problem

We were on the Dream last week. Montego Bay, GC and Cozumel. We did not have any shortened port calls. We slowed down on Saturday with propulsion issues. The tv showed about 18 knots at sea and about 13 knots on the river. Waters were smooth as glass. We got in late to Nola about 8:45.

We were on the Dream last week. Montego Bay, GC and Cozumel. We did not have any shortened port calls. We slowed down on Saturday with propulsion issues. The tv showed about 18 knots at sea and about 13 knots on the river. Waters were smooth as glass. We got in late to Nola about 8:45.

Thank you! This is the kind of information that is super useful! We cruise this itinerary on September 11, so I now feel safe booking an excursion I've been a bit weary of! (And yes...I know anything can happen, but at least I also know that not every cruise is radically changed from it.)

Thank you! This is the kind of information that is super useful! We cruise this itinerary on September 11, so I now feel safe booking an excursion I've been a bit weary of! (And yes...I know anything can happen, but at least I also know that not every cruise is radically changed from it.)

I think it is very dependent on the weather conditions. Any weather conditions that cause a need for more power to maintain the same speed is going to result in issues. (i.e. higher winds/seas, etc.) Also, any delays in port could cause issues as basically there is no "slack" time anymore with the reduced top cruising speed.

I've thought about it quite a bit now and I'm going to stick with the cruise and all my private excursions. If port times get altered then we will deal with it accordingly. It still beats being at work for that week. :D

I think it is very dependent on the weather conditions. Any weather conditions that cause a need for more power to maintain the same speed is going to result in issues. (i.e. higher winds/seas, etc.) Also, any delays in port could cause issues as basically there is no "slack" time anymore with the reduced top cruising speed.

I've thought about it quite a bit now and I'm going to stick with the cruise and all my private excursions. If port times get altered then we will deal with it accordingly. It still beats being at work for that week. :D

We have a lot of flexibility, though do have one private excursion booked. One of the others can be paid for at the location, so we can play that decision by ear. The third port is still in the air...with 17 people, it's hard to get a game plan!

Our luck, the ports could change due to a hurricane or something!

In spite of being affected by propulsion issues we still had a great cruise. Enjoy

• 2 months later...
how far in advance did you receive the message from carnival about the problem? we are sailing in November and was just wondering if this would cause a problem for us as well ?

Found out on the ship. And they told us port call would be shortened but didnt tell us the reason.

Found that out by asking an officer