Dress code

Confused_mammaj

Hi ladies and gents. We have booked a 14 night med cruise for next April/May n711.

I understand that there will be 4 formal nights that we are really looking forward too.

However my question is about the other 10 nights. Will any of the nights be themed? Do the men need to wear long sleeve shirts for the rest of the cruise? Also is there anything we should avoid? We are not taking jeans. Thank you x

Hi ladies and gents. We have booked a 14 night med cruise for next April/May n711.

I understand that there will be 4 formal nights that we are really looking forward too.

However my question is about the other 10 nights. Will any of the nights be themed? Do the men need to wear long sleeve shirts for the rest of the cruise? Also is there anything we should avoid? We are not taking jeans. Thank you x

Short sleeved shirts are acceptable on smart casual nights, as are polo shirts.

They do have themed nights . The only one that people usually dress up for is the tropical night. Loud loud shirts for the men abound. The 60/70's night not really people doing that at all.

The black/white night is a themed formal night, with a colour scheme of black and white. You do not have to stick with that but a lot do.Black dresses with white/cream/ivory accessories are acceptable and vice versa.(i have yet to find a black/white dress that I like)

You can find out which themes your cruise has, by going under the can we help you tab on the pando webpage. type in dress code, and it lists all the themes for each cruise (by ship).

Not 100% guarenteed that they will actually stick with that on board by the way.

Thank you so much all. I am trying to help my in laws who are joining us for their first cruise. X

For the other nights we tend to dress as we would in a nice 4 star hotel at home / abroad for an evening meal. Hubby in smart trousers and a short sleeved shirt. I am usually in a smart skirt / trousers and top, or a nice sun dress if the weather is ok.

Must admit don't do jeans, but some do and it often depends on where you are planning to eat.

Thanks Presto2. We are looking to leave the jeans at home as we can wear them at any time x

Must admit, at home I do jeans and a smart top if we go to a Miller and Carters (if you have one), posh Harvester or Beefeater. Am not anti jeans - just not in a hotel for a meal.

But - each to their own.

Any more tips re what to wear when, just ask :):):) We can't tell you what you have to do but what we have seen - if that helps

Thank you. I would wear jeans at home too but being a mum of two little ones I don't get the chance to dress up very often. I have even bought suits for the boys for the formal nights X

One of the suits is cream not dark but I am sure that will be OK. X

The boys will look lovely in suits regardless of the colour. The dress code does not apply to children. My husband and I always comment on how much we like to see the little ones who are dressed up. When we took my niece's little boy on Ventura she went out and bought a little tux and bowtie for him (he was 5) we had a portrait of him taken onboard because he was so cute.

Enjoy your cruise.

For men on the non-formal nights the rules are quite relaxed.

The dress code only applies on an evening in the main dining rooms and certain bars. It doesn't apply in the buffet, the theatre, the public areas, or the other bars.

P&O say 'smart casual', but no shorts, no football shirts, no vests, no ripped jeans, but other than that you are good to go.

I have found on the non-formal nights most people dressed for a relaxed evening out, but men's dress related to age. i.e. the younger men not wearing jackets and ties, but some of the older men doing so.

On some nights I will wear smart trousers and a jacket, other nights jeans, shirt, and Converse AllStars. Nobody has batted an eye either way.

4 formal nights on a 14 day cruise is OTT, formal nights every three days is ridiculous. Avoid the outside decks in your finery as you are likely to get covered in the soot from their funnels.

I would prefer 3 formal nights per week, I love them ! :) :) :)

4 formal nights on a 14 day cruise is OTT, formal nights every three days is ridiculous. Avoid the outside decks in your finery as you are likely to get covered in the soot from their funnels.

I take it you're not a fan of P&O then :rolleyes:

Chill ....

Well enjoy whichever cruise line you do enjoy travelling with, that does not have a dress code. Lots of people who go with pando do so because of the dress code.

By the way I go outside in my finery every cruise and I have never ever got soot on it.

Hey ho.

I understand that some people like to get dressed up but I must admit that I spend every working day wearing a suit, shirt and tie and when I'm on holiday, it's really the last thing I want to wear!

Smart casual for me is a nice pair of jeans and polo short or t-shirt and jacket, which I think is reasonably smart.

I hope they agree, because I'm going on holiday to relax, not feel like I'm at work, meeting clients and being on my best behaviour!!

By the way I go outside in my finery every cruise and I have never ever got soot on it.

You are a Pando lover who wears blinkers. Suggest people read the many reports about the SOOT problem on Britannia, this has been an ongoing problem aboard Britannia since its inaugural cruise.

You are a Pando lover who wears blinkers. Suggest people read the many reports about the SOOT problem on Britannia, this has been an ongoing problem aboard Britannia since its inaugural cruise.

Why do people have to be so offensive?

Well I must have blinkers on as well as I have never had soot on my finery either. If P&O is so bad why cruise with them?

Edited by dgs1956

Why do people have to be so offensive?

Well I must have blinkers on as well as I have never had soot on my finery either. If P&O is so bad why cruise with them?

Not being offensive, just truthful. I cruise recently for the first time with P&O, never again. People need to get a balance view not one that fails gto recognise reality.

Jody 75 I do not wear blinkers I pick pando because the majority of what they do and their style suits ME.That is not wearing blinkers ,it is picking a product that suits ME.

Obviously the same product does not suit you, so there may be other lines out there that do not have a dress code and will suit you better.

If something suits me why is it wrong of me to say that it suits me.

This thread started as a what to wear on smart casual night. The poster was answered. Your comment did not really answer her question.

I thought the soot problem on Britannia was only at the stern of the ship.