Voom Questions

I am very confused about this new "Voom" internet. I am hoping that someone could please help me to better understand what I need.

I have an iphone, ipad mini, and laptop. I am sailing on the Freedom of the Seas in a few weeks.

We are sailing to St. Thomas, St. Marteen, and Coco Cay. It is my understanding that while we are in St Thomas, I can use my ATT iPhone to make phone calls, email, and texts without roaming charges because we are in a US entity. It would be just like using my phone on US soil. I have also been told that it is the same for my iPad, and laptop. I have Verizon for email and internet on those devices.

Am I correct so far?

Now, I have already purchased the Voom surfing package to use on the ship while sailing and on the ship while in the ports. But I am very confused at how this works.

I am assuming that VOOM is actually "WiFi". Does that mean that I can use the Voom for surfing the internet, sending text and pictures, and sending email WITHOUT using any of own DATA? My iPAD and phone both have WiFi and ATT available on them. Would I just need to make sure that I am using the VOOM WiFi and not ATT while on the ship?

Also, I did not purchase the "streaming" part of the VOOM package because I was not sure if I would need it, but I am hoping that someone could please explain why I might need to use the streaming part of the package so I can change my package if needed.

Now, just one more question if you can stand it. Can you use a ROKU stick in the TV's on the ship with the VOOM package or is that not an option? I wouldn't want it for my laptop or iPad, the screens are just to small, but it would be nice if you could use it on the TV's to watch Netflix?

Thank you in advance for everyone's help on these questions. There was a time when I knew all the answers. But now technology is just getting to far advanced for me to keep up without help from others.

I am assuming that VOOM is actually "WiFi". Does that mean that I can use the Voom for surfing the internet, sending text and pictures, and sending email WITHOUT using any of own DATA? My iPAD and phone both have WiFi and ATT available on them. Would I just need to make sure that I am using the VOOM WiFi and not ATT while on the ship?

Yes, VOOM is just RCCL's term for 'WiFi'. You can use it for anything you normally do on the internet including surfing, emails etc without using your phone's data as long as you set your phone/device in flight mode or turn off mobile data to avoid that being used instead.

Also, I did not purchase the "streaming" part of the VOOM package because I was not sure if I would need it, but I am hoping that someone could please explain why I might need to use the streaming part of the package so I can change my package if needed.

The 'surf' plan is widely known to have download speeds of between 1 - 4Mb/s on O3B enabled ships (the satellites used) which Freedom is believed to use. The 'stream' plan simply increases the download speed up to 25Mb/s. Most streaming services will probably work okay on the Surf plan however you may encounter a little bit of buffering.

I'll leave someone else to answer the rest of your questions that I am not sure about.

Edited by cuddylier

You are correct that AT&T treats the USVI the same as the rest of the US.

You can use VOOM for surfing and email. Whether you can use it for texting depends on what kind of texting you mean. If you mean internet based texting, like iMessage or WhatsApp, then VOOM will work fine. If you mean SMS or MMS texting, then VOOM will not work for that, unless you have WiFi calling enabled on your phone. WiFI calling depends on your carrier, phone model, and phone OS version. You can contact your carrier to see if WiFi calling is an option for you.

Streaming is faster internet typically needed for watching video, such as movies.

With regard to the ROKU stick, the TVs on the ship will not allow selection of alternate inputs.

The 'surf' plan is widely known to have download speeds of between 1 - 4Mb/s on O3B enabled ships (the satellites used) which Freedom is believed to use.

Someone recently reported that SURF has been further throttled to .5MBs on Freedom - no reports of such restrictions on other O3B equipped ships.

Now, I have already purchased the Voom surfing package to use on the ship while sailing and on the ship while in the ports. But I am very confused at how this works.

Assuming you bought the one device package, remember that you can use as many devices as you want but only one of them can be online at a time. If you are ever stuck trying to logoff one device to use another (most of the time when logging in with one device it automatically disconnects the previously used device) go to logoff.com. P.S. without any WiFi activity, the connected device will be automatically disconnected after 2 hours.

Edited by Biker19

I am hoping to use google voice and hangout to make phone calls back to the states while on the ship. Do you think that the connection will be strong enough?

People have reported decent performance with voice calls.

Assuming you bought the one device package, remember that you can use as many devices as you want but only one of them can be online at a time. If you are ever stuck trying to logoff one device to use another (most of the time when logging in with one device it automatically disconnects the previously used device) go to logoff.com. P.S. without any WiFi activity, the connected device will be automatically disconnected after 2 hours.

So, are you saying if we have say 5 devices, we can use the Voom option (one device streaming) and switch between all these devices? Or do we need the 5 device streaming??? Because the second choice is out of our budget. Our kids can share an hour here or there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am hoping to use google voice and hangout to make phone calls back to the states while on the ship. Do you think that the connection will be strong enough?

I have a couple more questions if someone can help. I just feel so out of sync with all of these new ways of surfing, texting, etc. on the ships now.

1. Is there a way for me to place a voice call using Voom wifi without Data charges from an iPhone to an Android phone?

2. What about texting? Can you text someone using Voom or is not included because you are using cellular data?

Also, can I use Facetime using Voom wifi to facetime another iPhone without data charges?

Thank you in advance once again.

I have a couple more questions if someone can help. I just feel so out of sync with all of these new ways of surfing, texting, etc. on the ships now.

1. Is there a way for me to place a voice call using Voom wifi without Data charges from an iPhone to an Android phone? Yes, if you are both using compatible WiFi apps, such as Skype or WhatsApp.

2. What about texting? Can you text someone using Voom or is not included because you are using cellular data? Same answer as above.

Also, can I use Facetime using Voom wifi to facetime another iPhone without data charges? Yes, if the internet speed on your ship is sufficient.

Answers in RED above.

Edited by clarea

I am very confused about this new "Voom" internet. I am hoping that someone could please help me to better understand what I need.

I have an iphone, ipad mini, and laptop. I am sailing on the Freedom of the Seas in a few weeks.

We are sailing to St. Thomas, St. Marteen, and Coco Cay. It is my understanding that while we are in St Thomas, I can use my ATT iPhone to make phone calls, email, and texts without roaming charges because we are in a US entity. It would be just like using my phone on US soil. I have also been told that it is the same for my iPad, and laptop. I have Verizon for email and internet on those devices.

Am I correct so far?

Now, just one more question if you can stand it. Can you use a ROKU stick in the TV's on the ship with the VOOM package or is that not an option? I wouldn't want it for my laptop or iPad, the screens are just to small, but it would be nice if you could use it on the TV's to watch Netflix?

Thank you in advance for everyone's help on these questions. There was a time when I knew all the answers. But now technology is just getting to far advanced for me to keep up without help from others.

You are correct about AT&T in St. Thomas. But not Verizon.

So, are you saying if we have say 5 devices, we can use the Voom option (one device streaming) and switch between all these devices? Or do we need the 5 device streaming??? Because the second choice is out of our budget. Our kids can share an hour here or there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

With the one device package, you can use ANY device but only ONE at a time. To use a different device, you simply sign off one and sign onto another.

1. Is there a way for me to place a voice call using Voom wifi without Data charges from an iPhone to an Android phone?

2. What about texting? Can you text someone using Voom or is not included because you are using cellular data?

Also, can I use Facetime using Voom wifi to facetime another iPhone without data charges?

My am not tech savvy but my plan is to use wifi only to make voice calls. I signed up and got a google voice phone number. I will forward my calls to this number while onboard. I can then hear all voice mail thru google voice. To make voice calls, I downloaded hangout app and will make calls with the Google voice number. It is working at home but I need to "practice" more before we sail. If anyone sees any problems with my plan please let me know! I have three doggies that I need to check on while away!

My am not tech savvy but my plan is to use wifi only to make voice calls. I signed up and got a google voice phone number. I will forward my calls to this number while onboard. I can then hear all voice mail thru google voice. To make voice calls, I downloaded hangout app and will make calls with the Google voice number. It is working at home but I need to "practice" more before we sail. If anyone sees any problems with my plan please let me know! I have three doggies that I need to check on while away!

Very good plan.

I am being told that you must have an "Android" phone to use hangouts and Google Voice and that the Apple iPhone does not have access to these Google options? I'm trying to find out if there is something out there that is compatible and will work between an iPhone and Android phone.

I am being told that you must have an "Android" phone to use hangouts and Google Voice and that the Apple iPhone does not have access to these Google options? I'm trying to find out if there is something out there that is compatible and will work between an iPhone and Android phone.

WhatsApp is a multiplatform app that has voice capability.

We just got off of Oasis and had amazing service with voom (streaming package).

Once we pulled away, I turned off cellular and was able to receive all calls over wifi as if I was at home.

I got texts as usual as well.

Was able to stream just fine and download videos.

I have an iPhone on AT&T.

If you have an iPhone, you shouldn't need special apps or phone numbers to place calls. I called our pediatrician's office with no trouble.

My piece of advice is to take a photo of your passcode or put it in notes because I would have to login sometimes when we were out.

We just got off of Oasis and had amazing service with voom (streaming package).

Once we pulled away, I turned off cellular and was able to receive all calls over wifi as if I was at home.

I got texts as usual as well.

Was able to stream just fine and download videos.

I have an iPhone on AT&T.

If you have an iPhone, you shouldn't need special apps or phone numbers to place calls. I called our pediatrician's office with no trouble.

My piece of advice is to take a photo of your passcode or put it in notes because I would have to login sometimes when we were out.

You must have WiFi calling enabled. This is a great feature that the carriers are making available. You have to have the right carrier, the right phone, and the right phone software.

Hangouts works just as fine on an iPhone. You might not have the better integration as on Android (you can get both GV and regular text inside Hangouts) but you can text and call via Hangout on an iPhone. Try in on land before you ever get on the ship. Put your phone in Airplane mode (as you would on the ship), turn on WiFi only and try it.