British Colonial Hilton Nassau

shaycaravella

Looking to visit a resort for the day when we travel on Oasis on August 21st. Have been looking at reviews for The Hilton Nassau and it seems like it is a good deal. $60 pp including $40 pp food/drink. What is everyones take on this? Any other resorts I should consider. Also, when is the best time to book. I want to make sure that the weather will be good for that day.

SC

Looking to visit a resort for the day when we travel on Oasis on August 21st. Have been looking at reviews for The Hilton Nassau and it seems like it is a good deal. $60 pp including $40 pp food/drink. What is everyones take on this? Any other resorts I should consider. Also, when is the best time to book. I want to make sure that the weather will be good for that day.

SC

Just be aware that the food starts after a certain time, I think 11am. Consider that if you are leaving at 2pm, and have to leave for the ship around 1pm.

Well it is a brief walk there, no need for a taxi which is a bonus. I'd have to question the value however. You are not in port very long

Alternative- There is a free beach about 5-7 more minutes walking down the road with cheap beer/drinks. They are both on the same "beach", however the BC is inclusive so no locals. The British Colonial, although a small resort, is a very nice place to relax, no loud partying.

Sorry, no other resort suggestions aside from the pricey Atlantis

SC

We have found it to be the best spot and deal in Nassau, but we have had full days there (all onboard at midnight- not that you can stay that long at the British Colonial). We have always made our reservations at least a month before sailing, but those have been spring break cruises. Also, being that it was spring break, we did have some noise from Señor Frog's and the booze cruises. However, the Colonial itself was quiet.

SC

it's a nice resort, I find that the water and beach itself is not the best, but you get a good view of cruiseships. Since it's so close, wouldn't take you so long to get back to the ship. the drinks/food are pricey, so just expect either 2 drinks pp or one meal pp. I like the chairs and look of the resort, but honestly, it's just up to you if a couple hours is worth the price and is enough beach time for you

We have also done Sheraton/Melia, and the RIU. We liked RIU a lot, it is very nice, but pricey. I don't really...remember Sheraton, only that it was FAR. we just don't do many all inclusive beach breaks anymore, just usually snorkeling/sailing/watersports excursions.

Edited by aubreyc1988

I prefer Melia- just a short $1.25 bus trip down to the resort and same back and if you get the option with the buffet it is really good with chicken, ribs, dogs, burgers, salads, pastas, pizza etc. and drinks. Three pools, beautiful beach and it includes the chairs/grass type umbrellas and towels. I used to go to the BC Hilton until i discovered the Melia. No comparison.

I prefer Melia- just a short $1.25 bus trip down to the resort and same back and if you get the option with the buffet it is really good with chicken, ribs, dogs, burgers, salads, pastas, pizza etc. and drinks. Three pools, beautiful beach and it includes the chairs/grass type umbrellas and towels. I used to go to the BC Hilton until i discovered the Melia. No comparison.

What is the price for a day pass at the Melia?

$35/day /adult or $25/day child and they used to have the option to pay $55/adult and it included the buffet lunch and drinks but when i went online just now i don't see the buffet option included so you may have to pay for the buffet completely separate. It is a gorgeous resort though and if you go to bookacarribeantour.com you can view a video and see photos of it and get more info.

$35/day /adult or $25/day child and they used to have the option to pay $55/adult and it included the buffet lunch and drinks but when i went online just now i don't see the buffet option included so you may have to pay for the buffet completely separate. It is a gorgeous resort though and if you go to bookacarribeantour.com you can view a video and see photos of it and get more info.

Thank-you, we may just try it next trip to Nassau.:)

I was looking online at a few like British Colonial and the only thing I do NOT like is that most say you must pay with a credit card, why won't they take cold hard cash? That seems ridiculous because I do NOT take my CC off ship...it stays in safe! How did you pay and where did you go?

What website do you guys use to pre book for the hilton? i found like 3 sites.

Thanks

I think the one we have used is bahamascruiseexcursions dot com

I looked online and saw there were several options now, but as I recall there used to be just one way to make the reservations. I believe they ask for a deposit and you pay the balance when you arrive.

I was looking online at a few like British Colonial and the only thing I do NOT like is that most say you must pay with a credit card, why won't they take cold hard cash? That seems ridiculous because I do NOT take my CC off ship...it stays in safe! How did you pay and where did you go?

I think the issue is that they are a hotel. I don't think many hotels these days take anything but a credit card for payment. The hotel guests that are also using the restaurant/pool bar just have everything charged to their rooms, so I don't think the bar takes cash either. However, we have given an extra cash tip to our attendants.

This is one reason why I am trying to see if I will book there I don't want to use my cards either.

Is there anywhere to put valuables like cameras while we swim etc?

There may be but I truly do not know. The atmosphere at the beach was such that I really was not concerned and just left everything in my bag on my chair covered with a towel. This is a huge beach area and the people were such that I really felt no danger of my items to go missing. Also I was in the front line so to speak although the chairs are not

On top of each other and we had clear visibility from the water to our chair on the two separate occasions that I was there.

There may be but I truly do not know. The atmosphere at the beach was such that I really was not concerned and just left everything in my bag on my chair covered with a towel. This is a huge beach area and the people were such that I really felt no danger of my items to go missing. Also I was in the front line so to speak although the chairs are not

On top of each other and we had clear visibility from the water to our chair on the two separate occasions that I was there.

OK thanks!! That makes me feel better

We went here on our cruise this July and it was fantastic. The walk was easy (even with a 5 year old) and we did some shopping on our way back to the ship. I would advise taking a change of clothes for the walk back if you plan to shop or stop anywhere. My boys didn't like walking back in semi-wet bathing suits. The bathrooms are nice and clean.

We didn't have to pay for DS because he was 5 so we only had $80 of food credit. We got 3 frozen drinks, a hot dog meal, fish sandwich meal, a chicken sandwich meal, and a liter of bottled water. This put us over our $80 by $19. That included gratuity which was 18%. We did give the waiter an extra cash tip because he brought everything to us out by the beach.

There weren't many people there so we felt safe all being in the water with our belongings in our bag by the beach. We were there faily early and got 3 lounge chairs next to a grass umbrella which was nice for some shade. It was also nice to be able to check out towels there and not have to lug ship towels to and from. You do have to leave your drivers license that is returned to you when you return the towels. The water was nice and clear. There were people pulling conch shells out of the water over by Senor Frogs. I just loved how quiet it was and that there was no one trying to sell me anything or braid my hair.

The pool area was nice. There was rarely a time we were all up at the pool, but when we were we brought our bag up there to be close by since you can't see the beach chairs from the pool. There is a lifeguard on duty, but he played with his phone the whole time..lol. There are foot washing areas right by the pool which was nice to rinse the sand off.

I think a Visa gift card would work. You give them your credit card when you check in and your balance for the day pass is charged to that card. We were given the option to pay cash for our food overage or charge it to that card.

Overall we had a great day there for the three of us for $150 ($120 for pass and extra $30 for food/tip). You can't really get that kind of value anywhere else since there is no transportation cost. We will definitely book again if we go back to Nassau. We were in port from 11-7 so we ended up spending about 4.5 hours there. We didn't get there until around noon. I'm not sure we'd go back if we were in port earlier, leaving earlier.

Does anyone know if you can use prepaid visa

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just be sure to make sure your Prepaid Visa can be used internationally. A lot of the pre paid cards will have a fine print that it can only be used in the United States. I use a Travel Pre Paid Card that I got from my bank and it can be used internationally.