about connecting flights

Wren3

Hi everyone, I have a couple of questions about my upcoming trip's flight details. I just received the air itinerary from Oceania. I am wondering if I will have to collect my luggage between the following flights. I am assuming (maybe incorrectly) that because the connecting flights are both British Airways flights that BA will process the luggage for us and we won't need to pick up our luggage between flights. Secondly, based on the below details, will there be enough time between flights to get to connecting terminal. Besides Immigration will I have to queue for anything else? Thanks kindly.

THU 13OCT16 8NYTVS BA 0092 TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA 06:35P

FRI 14OCT16 LONDON (HEATHROW),ENGLAND 06:35A

FRI 14OCT16 8NYTVS BA 0548 LONDON (HEATHROW),ENGLAND 08:30A

FRI 14OCT16 ROME (FIUMICINO), ITALY 12:00P

SAT 22OCT16 8NYTVS BA 0347 NICE, FRANCE 01:15P

SAT 22OCT16 LONDON (HEATHROW),ENGLAND 02:30P

SAT 22OCT16 8NYTVS BA 0099 LONDON (HEATHROW),ENGLAND 04:55P

SAT 22OCT16 TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA 07:40P

Edited by Wren3

Thank you LHT28. Do you think there is enough time between flights to get to the departure terminal?

You would need to check on LHR's website to see what terminal you land in & leave from

I avoid LHR for connections ...good luck

Wren3, if your flights are both BA terminal 5, you would typically not have to do immigration or customs, but would go through security - see this link for BA's outline of various scenarios for connections at Heathrow. As of now, arriving T5 international connecting to T5 international, BA says to allow at least 60 minutes.

We did BA Toronto to Bordeaux in June via Heathrow and Gatwick - so had to change airports (we were on miles and got a no-additional-fee overnight in London, plus no CDG which spouse avoids at all costs, so worked out fine for us) - this looks much simpler :)

Check out the BA board on the FlyerTalk forum for lots of frequent traveler insight on such topics

Edited by babysteps

first BA wont sell or can not sell you an international ticket that dosent have an hour or so connecting time. No airline can. Your only risk is if you were using 2 tickets issued by 2 different carriers like Southwest to United or Air Canada to Air Berlin.

Second all airlines on the ticket issued by the prime carrier are all interlines that transfer your bags to the final destination. All the airlines on your ticket are cooperating carriers

Third, You will be on all flights what is called "in transit" and will not leave the terminal. You will not have to go through security or collect your bags You will never leave the departure terminal to change planes/gates No going outside

fourth: you will go through customs and immigration only on your very last or final flight That Italian on out bound and Canada on the return... nothing in between

If your arriving flights are late or you miss a connection for some reason you will be automatically re booked on the next flights and your bags will too.

Edited by Hawaiidan

I checked on the LHR website and it appears we arrive and depart in Terminal 5.

Hope I did it correctly for Oct 14th and 22nd.

You're very lucky that your trip predates the Brexit changes taking effect.

LHR has only just gotten themselves sorted out for being IN the EU.

The separation is going to be a madhouse.

Dan;

The last couple of times through LHR from the STates, we clear customs and immigrations at LHR, after that our bags were sent on to our next/final destination where we say neither. Examples : ORD-LHR-CDG and JFK-LHR-MIL, in both cases we clear everything At LHR and then travelled to final destination as an in EU passenger with neither customs nor immigrations check. Same happened on UA through Frankfort to Florence. Clear customs and immigrations at first entry with nothing further at final destination within EU.

On both those BA flights we came into T5 but had to transfer to another Terminal by their internal bus, where we had to clear security again! :eek:

My comment is no doubt not pertinent for the OP since she isn't leaving from LHR, but a warning to some who might be departing from Terminal 5 in the near future ...

We flew home from Terminal 5 on July 18th and there were terrible delays just checking in. The woman who checked us in said it is a new system which is VERY SLOW. Which it was!

It didn't help that BA in its wisdom decided that Mura Kievman Mager (as on my passport) and M. Kievman Mager (on their manifest) couldn't be verified as the same person. Well, I never suggested that they abbreviate my name!

Anyway, in the end we had no problems ... the line seemed horrendous but we actually got through in plenty of time. Unfortunately our gate was as far away as one could be. We had to walk a mile to catch a train to our gates, and then another mile to get to the very last one in that area. Luckily we DID have plenty of time. We got to Terminal 5 at about 7:45am for a 10:30 flight and had more than enough time to make our way to the gate.

For international connections, I prefer, at least, 3 hour layovers to cover most potential issues. IMO, under 2 hours is asking for trouble.

I agree. We prefer 3-4 hours. Gives us time to use the washroom, get through extra security checks, clear customs as required and grab a bite to eat. Best of all, no running through airports to try and make a connection.

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Upon reconsideration of all the helpful responses posted, we decided to pay the Oceania air deviation fee of $175 pp and also an additional air differential fee of $100 pp to change our flight to a direct flight. We are now flying directly from Toronto to Rome. Although we had the Premium Economy promotion of $99 pp, we had to remove that option as the direct flight to Rome on Air Canada did not have PE seats. But overall, we will be more relaxed knowing it is a direct flight into Rome. We are also arriving the day before the cruise and staying at the Marriott Grand Flora. Thank you again everyone for your advice. It made our decision easier.

It has been getting worse it seems.....I know that its very bad flying out of LHR to the USA.....if your flying on a Free or miles ticket from any UK airport then you really get taken to the cleaners.... The UK will charge you UK tax on your ticket...how much well about $160 USD for coach and $320 USD pp for business..... this is levied at the airport as a departure tax so to speak...