Australian Citibank debit card use/charges in USA and Canada

Hi guys

Thanks to this forum, I now have my Citibank Debit card in my possession :).

I have tried to search about this on Citibank's website and on the net but not having a lot of luck :confused:.

For those that have used this card particularly in Canada to get cash out, which ATM's did you use to avoid fees? (I kow it's supposed to be fee free but it says in Australia to use Westpac/Citibank ATM's but I can't find these in Canada lol). Were you able to get cash out at McDonalds or supermarkets (like you can in Aus)?

Thanks for any advice.

If you don't have a Pin & Chip card . Many ATM's in Canada will not accept your card . Canada has gone almost exclusively to this technology .

With a debit card there will be a hold put on all transacts even refunds .

Are your maybe referring to a Credit Card instead?

My Citibank Visa Debit card (with chip) has zero international transaction fees, and you can get fee free withdrawals at the citibank ATMs (inside every 7-11) in the US. However, it looks as if there are none in Canada :confused:

Edited by Missusdubbya

My Citibank Visa Debit card (with chip) has zero international transaction fees, and you can get fee free withdrawals at the citibank ATMs (inside every 7-11) in the US. However, it looks as if there are none in Canada :confused:

Yes! This is the one I am talking about. I googled and had no luck whatsoever :(. Guess I will find out when I get there lol.

You still get the international transaction fee. Just not the ATM fee.

No, with this debit card it is fee free from international transaction fees but it's the ATM fees that have me confused :confused:. Like here in Australia if I use my bank or affiliated banks I don't cop the ATM fee (usually around $2.50?). But I can't seem to find any in Canada. Was just trying to avoid changing cash here as I have no idea how much we will use in Canada as we are only there for 2 nights. Where possible I will use my 28 Degree card. It's just I will cash for things like fast food at the baseball game etc. Plus using their bus/rail system.

If you don't have a Pin & Chip card . Many ATM's in Canada will not accept your card . Canada has gone almost exclusively to this technology .

With a debit card there will be a hold put on all transacts even refunds .

Are your maybe referring to a Credit Card instead?

I'm only using it to get cash as I have a credit card. Yep and pretty sure it has a chip (and I have organised the pin). Thanks for the help :).

In Canada if you use an ATM that isn't part of your bank system . The charge a per use fee. The fee depends on the bank used.

If I use an RBC debit card at an TD ATM. I'll be charged by TD (thru RBC) for the use of the ATM (approx $4.00 per use).

There are two basic systems for ATM's in Canada . Most ATM's are part of both system .One is the +Plus system and the other is Cirrus. If your card uses either one you'll be OK. You'll still have to pay a fee for the use of the ATM that isn't a foreign transaction fee.

Also keep in mind that many US ATM's use only a four digit pin. Canada uses pins from 4 to 12 digits . Numeric number only no letters.

Edited by Kamloops50

No, with this debit card it is fee free from international transaction fees but it's the ATM fees that have me confused :confused:. Like here in Australia if I use my bank or affiliated banks I don't cop the ATM fee (usually around $2.50?). But I can't seem to find any in Canada. Was just trying to avoid changing cash here as I have no idea how much we will use in Canada as we are only there for 2 nights. Where possible I will use my 28 Degree card. It's just I will cash for things like fast food at the baseball game etc. Plus using their bus/rail system.

I'm only using it to get cash as I have a credit card. Yep and pretty sure it has a chip (and I have organised the pin). Thanks for the help :).

Apologies. I just checked my citibank statement. I was mixing it up with my ANZ card.

For example

22/04/2016 Andrianu & Ag.Filipu20 Athens GR EUR 100.00 AUD 151.66EUR 100.00

15/04/2016 HOTEL MIRAMARE CIVITAVECCHIAIT EUR 70.00 AUD 105.51EUR 70.00

14/04/2016 ALBERGO DEL SENATO . ROMA IT EUR 318.00 AUD 479.34EUR 318.00

This is what it shows. So I used it in Rome for mixture of cash withdrawal and to pay for hotel.

Edited by icat2000

I used my Citibank debit card twice at ATMS in Canada last Xmas. 1was free (cirrus I think); the other charged $2. No other transaction fees. I think Citibank Debit Card is better value than 28 Degrees card.

We used the Citibank Debit in Europe 2 yrs ago, both for ATMs and paying hotel bills. No transaction fees at all.

Off to Turkey & Europe later this week and will be giving it a good nudge again.

I used my Citibank debit card twice at ATMS in Canada last Xmas. 1was free (cirrus I think); the other charged $2. No other transaction fees. I think Citibank Debit Card is better value than 28 Degrees card.

I have both the Citibank and 28 Degrees. I wouldn't use the Citibank for hotel or car rental holds as it is using your own money. You are better off using the 28 Degrees or a regular credit card.

I wouldn't use the Citibank for hotel or car rental holds as it is using your own money.

Agree. We use c/card for holds, but use Citibank Debit Card at chk out. Don't use the 28 Degrees at ATMS as I believe they charge (since 2014) a 3 % fee on ATM withdrawals or $4 (whichever is greater). E.g. withdraw $1,000 and the fee would be $30.

Be happy to stand corrected

Agree. We use c/card for holds, but use Citibank Debit Card at chk out. Don't use the 28 Degrees at ATMS as I believe they charge (since 2014) a 3 % fee on ATM withdrawals or $4 (whichever is greater). E.g. withdraw $1,000 and the fee would be $30.

Correct. Not sure on the fee, but everyone was loading them up then withdrawing cash when overseas fee free. They stopped that loop hole;)

We use Citibank for cash and 28 Degrees Mastercard for credit, and has worked really well for us.

To the OP, Rose, We have used ours all through Asia on a cruise that had lots of different currencies. Just a reminder when withdrawing to hit "Credit" not "savings" or it will charge a fee. It is a Visa Debit card, so hit credit. Had friends that wondered why they were being charged a fee and we were not!!

We were never charged an ATM fee, just lucky I guess.

Have a great holiday, the kids will love it

xx

Just be careful though. Some hotels with automatically charge the card you use at checkin before you checkout.

Just be careful though. Some hotels with automatically charge the card you use at checkin before you checkout.

All hotels in Canada require a deposit or credit card number for incidental charges to be left at the front desk. If you give them a credit card it is not processed if you give them a debit card they will process that as a hold to your bank right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

All hotels in Canada require a deposit or credit card number for incidental charges to be left at the front desk. If you give them a credit card it is not processed if you give them a debit card they will process that as a hold to your bank right away.

I use a 28 degrees MasterCard for hotels and other purchases and just use the Citibank card for Cash advances.

It's usually the same in the US but one hotel in Nashville processed the transaction to my credit card just after midnight even though I wanted to pay with a different card at checkout. Some even leave the receipt under the room door in the morning.

Edited by cruisine21

Correct. Not sure on the fee, but everyone was loading them up then withdrawing cash when overseas fee free. They stopped that loop hole;)

We use Citibank for cash and 28 Degrees Mastercard for credit, and has worked really well for us.

To the OP, Rose, We have used ours all through Asia on a cruise that had lots of different currencies. Just a reminder when withdrawing to hit "Credit" not "savings" or it will charge a fee. It is a Visa Debit card, so hit credit. Had friends that wondered why they were being charged a fee and we were not!!

We were never charged an ATM fee, just lucky I guess.

Have a great holiday, the kids will love it

xx

Hi Chez

Thanks for the tip. I would have hit savings lol. Will def make sure I hit credit now for sure.

Yes, the kids I'll def love it. They've grown up a lot since you saw them last xxx

Hope you are well.

It is a Visa Debit card, so hit credit.

Thanks for the tip. Citibank don't tell you that. You would think if it's a debit card you would select debit and I guess many fall into the trap and pay the fees.

Hi Chez

Thanks for the tip. I would have hit savings lol. Will def make sure I hit credit now for sure.

Yes, the kids I'll def love it. They've grown up a lot since you saw them last xxx

Hope you are well.

Thanks for the tip. Citibank don't tell you that. You would think if it's a debit card you would select debit and I guess many fall into the trap and pay the fees.

No worries, I read about it on another travel forum as others were complaining about being charged a withdrawal fee. Our friends were drawing cash out of the same ATM as us in Singapore but were being charged, I had forgotten to tell them:o

We have used our Citibank plus Visa Debit card in Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, Vietnam, New Zealand so far, will give it a whirl in Vanuatu and Fiji in November.

We have used our Citibank plus Visa Debit card in Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, Vietnam, New Zealand so far, will give it a whirl in Vanuatu and Fiji in November.

We're going to Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam and Thailand in Nov/Dec and will be using our Citibank Visa Debit card for cash withdrawals. Can you use any ATM in those countries or should we be looking for certain ones?