Zaandam - Alaska July 17 - 31

rapata

We are just off the Zaandam "Collectors" voyage to Alaska. I am not going to write a complete review but will be happy to answer any questions relating to the ship, service, food, entertainment, ports of call etc. This was our first cruise on HAL and first time to Alaska.

We are a retired couple ages 67 and 75 and cruised alone. We booked (last minute) an inside guarantee category MM and ended up in 3344, a very nice Category I large inside cabin midship on Deck 3, it was only a few steps to the Promenade Deck where we could be outside

Our cruise started and ended in Vancouver ( we live about 70 miles from the port) with stops in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, cruising Glacier Bay, turnaround in Seward, then Glacier Bay again and Haines, Juneau and Ketchikan southbound.

We did not do any shore excursions, though we did ride the express shuttle to the fabulous Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau.

Although the weather was not good, we enjoyed our cruise very much.

I've been looking at the same up/down itinerary for next year. I'm curious, does the Zaandam still have the Piano Lounge, or has it been changed to The Mix on that ship?

Happy you enjoyed your cruise. I'm familiar with your cabin, and totally agree it's a great location.

I've been looking at the same up/down itinerary for next year. I'm curious, does the Zaandam still have the Piano Lounge, or has it been changed to The Mix on that ship?

Happy you enjoyed your cruise. I'm familiar with your cabin, and totally agree it's a great location.

It's been a few months since I've been on the Zaandam but I'm quite sure it has changed to The Mix.

The Piano Bar is part of Mix. On our cruise, and until late August, Jim Fischer plays every night. There is a bar style counter right around the grand piano so if you could get a seat, you could sit right up there with him. He is absolutely fantastic, one night he did Elton John songs for over an hour.

We have friends that might have been on the same voyage and their take was that it was not good at all.....their words. Complaints about "running out of food", "no animals in Denali", etc. Curious to see if this was the same voyage or not.

I believe they were flying into Anchorage and they may have started with the Denali portion and then the cruised down to their final port.

We have friends that might have been on the same voyage and their take was that it was not good at all.....their words. Complaints about "running out of food", "no animals in Denali", etc. Curious to see if this was the same voyage or not.

I believe they were flying into Anchorage and they may have started with the Denali portion and then the cruised down to their final port.

Denali is a HUGE park; I'm sure there were animals there. It took me five or six cruises before I actually saw a whale or a whale spout but I was still sure they were in the ocean, just not when I was looking.

Denali is a HUGE park; I'm sure there were animals there. It took me five or six cruises before I actually saw a whale or a whale spout but I was still sure they were in the ocean, just not when I was looking.

I know what you are saying and, trust me, I'll bet the animals were there but if I were them I would hide too!

I'm more curious about the ship portion of the voyage to see if they were just not happy campers or maybe their expectation was just way too high.

In our experience there was no shortage of food, ever. We only ate at the Lido one lunchtime and I did have to wait a few minutes for some freshly cooked shrimp at the Asian food station, but rather that than have food that had been sitting around. When cruising we prefer to have table service and are not in a hurry so eat in the main dining room for breakfast and dinner, and lunch if we are aboard.

In our experience there was no shortage of food, ever. We only ate at the Lido one lunchtime and I did have to wait a few minutes for some freshly cooked shrimp at the Asian food station, but rather that than have food that had been sitting around. When cruising we prefer to have table service and are not in a hurry so eat in the main dining room for breakfast and dinner, and lunch if we are aboard.

I would tend to think that if you can't get enough to eat on a ship.......you aren't trying. I also tend to think that they just like to find fault.

We have yet to book a cruise on Holland America - maybe just too busy booking on Princess as you can see from our signature, but we will someday soon. We might not get all the perks as we do with being Elite with Princess, however, we will get our CCL Shareholder Benefit.