This Miami Hotel search is maddening! Help

pyropoodle

I literally have 4 bookings at the moment. I just don't know which is the best one to choose, or if there is a hotel that I am missing in a glaring way.

there will be 3 adults and one toddler, so while I am ok with taking cabs and whatnot (as opposed to shuttles), I would love to have breakfast included and be located in walking distance to food since our flight will most likely arrive in the late afternoon the day prior to the cruise. I'd hate to be just stuck in the hotel, eating expensive hotel food for the duration.

so, here are the 4 I have reserved for my cruise in January. they are all..well, kinda close in price. the cheapest is $197 and the most expensive is $336..i don't want to go more than that.

what should I keep? or suggest one I may be missing

Residence inn Miami Airport/ Doral

Hampton Inn/ Downtown Brickell

Holiday Inn Port of Miami

Hyatt Place Miami

your thoughts would be much appreciated.

they didn't have that room available for a decent price, but now I've got a 1 BR reserved. it's the same price as the Holiday Inn, so just wondering if it's better to go ahead and be at the holiday inn, which is closer to the port than at Hyatt house, which looks to be near an airport. are there restaurants nearby?

Do you want to be close to the airport or the port? You can't have both.

There are more restaurants and attractions near the Holiday Inn, but the Hyatt House is closer to MIA and has a free airport shuttle, Holiday Inn does not.

A 1BR Suite at Hyatt House has 2 full bathrooms, a living area with a pullout sofa sleeper and a full size kitchen.

Make a choice.

...and I posted because I'm trying to make a choice. I don't care about a bunch of bedrooms/ bathrooms/ etc. I don't need a suite or pullout sofa and it's only for one night, not a week, so we just need a couple of beds and a working toilet.

I really just want to know if any of the hotels, including the one you mentioned, are in walking distance to any food venues. as I stated, I don't want to be stuck having lunch/ dinner and then breakfast in a hotel and we won't have a car, so I can't drive anywhere. I'm not likely to take a bunch of taxis around Miami with a toddler either.

I just want a hotel that is close to something, offers free breakfast, isn't in an area where they will kill you for no reason or try to rob you, and be in the price range stated above.

...I will also add that I haven't been to Miami since I was around 10 years old, so I have no idea what is close to what, what is and isn't a bad neighborhood.

if Holiday inn is the best solution, then holiday inn it is.

I would choose Brickell, which has shopping and restaurants. Or downtown, which has Bayside, shopping and restaurants, not as much as Brickell.. Another choice is the Intercontinental, which is walking distance across Bayfront Park. There are rooms that give you a real nice view of the bay and port.

...and I posted because I'm trying to make a choice. I don't care about a bunch of bedrooms/ bathrooms/ etc. I don't need a suite or pullout sofa and it's only for one night, not a week, so we just need a couple of beds and a working toilet.

I really just want to know if any of the hotels, including the one you mentioned, are in walking distance to any food venues. as I stated, I don't want to be stuck having lunch/ dinner and then breakfast in a hotel and we won't have a car, so I can't drive anywhere. I'm not likely to take a bunch of taxis around Miami with a toddler either.

I just want a hotel that is close to something, offers free breakfast, isn't in an area where they will kill you for no reason or try to rob you, and be in the price range stated above.

Hyatt House has a very good breakfast and an evening reception depending on what day of the week you are there. Nearby restaurant choices are limited such as 94th Aero Squardron, but they do have a shuttle that could take you to other restaurants and pick you up. It's a safe area.

Miami, overall, has one of the highest crime rates in the nation. The area around the Holiday Inn is considered one of the "safer areas" of Miami, but it is a tourist area which draws thugs and thieves, so you pays your money and you takes your chances.

http://miamiairport.house.hyatt.com/en/hotel/dining.html

We have stayed at Residence Inn (airport) 2 years ago and staying again in Oct.

2 bedroom suite works well.

There is also a Courtyard and Marriott as part of the complex.

if you look at the web or google restaurants nearby it may give you some insight.

This year we are going to Tom's Sports Bar. Not sure if there is a restaurant side.

The residence inn is definitely the least expensive of the bunch...by more than $100! I just checked out the Tom's menu and it looks pretty Americana-typical bar food. I'm sure if they don't have a restaurant side, they would at least allow an 'order to go' type thing, which is also acceptable. I'm more than happy to let my toddler eat his chicken wings in a hotel room so he can run around naked and drip sauce on the nice white sheets instead of watching him have a meltdown in the bar.

at this point, I'm not sure if I could really go wrong with any of these choices.

That's two votes for Hampton Inn. The reviews are very nice. I think I might rule Holiday Inn out altogether, even though it is close to the port. I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around paying that kind of money for a Holiday Inn. I've never stayed in one that I would consider being a nice one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've stayed at the Hanpton Inn Brickell twice with a third time booked. You can take the metro from the airport for a few dollars and they have the free metro thing that goes down to bayside to the mall area. Free breakfast was very good and had many items. We each got free drink coupons which I appreciated and hotel was modern and clean! Walking distance to Publix supermarket.

I would also suggest the Hampton Brickell for your needs. It's actually in a nice area near downtown. Despite what the one poster here wrote I think most people would feel safe walking around d Brickell. It's a very short ride to the port from there.

I never felt unsafe walking around there with my young child. The second time I stayed there we walked around later at night ( just adults) and didn't encounter anything more then panhandlers. I stayed at that Holiday Inn at the port in 2009 and it was a dump and had a very expensive breakfast. Maybe they have remodeled it by now but I'd rather stay at Hampton Inn!

I literally have 4 bookings at the moment. I just don't know which is the best one to choose, or if there is a hotel that I am missing in a glaring way.

there will be 3 adults and one toddler, so while I am ok with taking cabs and whatnot (as opposed to shuttles), I would love to have breakfast included and be located in walking distance to food since our flight will most likely arrive in the late afternoon the day prior to the cruise. I'd hate to be just stuck in the hotel, eating expensive hotel food for the duration.

so, here are the 4 I have reserved for my cruise in January. they are all..well, kinda close in price. the cheapest is $197 and the most expensive is $336..i don't want to go more than that.

what should I keep? or suggest one I may be missing

Residence inn Miami Airport/ Doral

Hampton Inn/ Downtown Brickell

Holiday Inn Port of Miami

Hyatt Place Miami

your thoughts would be much appreciated.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2383200

check out this thread, where i posted pictures of the Element. I recommend the element - altho it's not within walking distance, they do have a complimentary shuttle that will take you anywhere 3 mil radius from the hotel :)

Edited by aubreyc1988

I never felt unsafe walking around there with my young child. The second time I stayed there we walked around later at night ( just adults) and didn't encounter anything more then panhandlers. I stayed at that Holiday Inn at the port in 2009 and it was a dump and had a very expensive breakfast. Maybe they have remodeled it by now but I'd rather stay at Hampton Inn!

Haha, I cannot wrap my head around paying for than $49.95 for a holiday inn. In my mind it's like a travel lodge or a days inn. I've never seen a fancy one and while this one does sport some pretty green lights, I'm not sure that is worth $336 when the nicer Hampton inn is cheaper and most likely a better hotel

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2383200

check out this thread, where i posted pictures of the Element. I recommend the element - altho it's not within walking distance, they do have a complimentary shuttle that will take you anywhere 3 mil radius from the hotel :)

I did read your posts about the element (I actually read them before posting this topic ) and it seems like a nice hotel, the pictures are great. I think my problem here is that it's in an area where we can't just walk to get somewhere. I'd like to do as much walking to get around as I can- living in NYC it's just what I'm used to doing- and I'd like to drag the kid on as few cabs/shuttles as possible.

Now trains and trolleys are different but I don't want to blow through money needlessly tipping cab drivers when I could pay essentially the same price and stay within walking distance of something. I'd would stay there if it were just my husband and myself but I'm with my mother (who is essentially a toddler herself ...don't tell her I said that) so the least logistical planning is the best.

From the things you have mentioned you want, I would go with an option near Brickell. We've stayed at the Intercontinental a few times which is right next to the Holiday Inn (which is often priced at near Intercontinental rates....no way!). There really isn't a ton of options within walking distance. The Bayside Market is a commonly mentioned 'go to' spot on here, but after one trip there I have no need to ever go back. It's just a tourist trap and not even a decent one at that. I never opt to stay near the airport in any city I travel to unless it's absolutely necessary.

I think with so many positive things to say about the Brickell location and the hotel itself, I've just about decided on the Hampton Inn. I agree with not staying at the hotel airport unless you just ***have*** to stay there. if I were flying in really late, I wouldn't mind. but we do have time to kill and I don't want to just hang around and watch the planes take off.

I appreciate everyone taking the time and giving their input. It really has helped me decide and since I've never been to Brickell, I'm glad to know that it isn't waaaayyyyy out of the way or anything weird. Cruise Critic members are really the best. thanks y'all!