Grandeur Jul 30; My 2 cents worth

We have found the Windjammer very quiet at supper time. Most everyone on the ship goes to the Main Dinning Room and there are very few who use the Windjammer at supper time. I'll admit that Breakfast and lunch times are very busy there but not at supper time. They dim the lights and play soft music and it is really nice....

While we have not been on Grandeur, we have found the same pleasant Windjammer environment on other ships at dinner. We find we are eating dinner more and more in WJ.

We have sailed 26 days on Grandeur and have 20 more days booked. We always eat dinner in Windjammer for dinner because we really don't want to change out of shorts and want to play the 5:00 trivia game! (pants/slacks are an enforced requirement on Grandeur) It is very peaceful at dinner time - any dinner time. It does not resemble the breakfast or lunch experience. When on Oasis, we did all meals in the MDR; we really didn't like its Windjammer. I did a solo on Explorer; that Windjammer was fine for dinner - many choices.

I was reading another review of Grandeur (YorkVillian's-AMAZING...if you want a good laugh, have a gander). But anyway.. He mentioned that he never saw the card advertised, but asked a bartender. The bartender asked an officer, but was able to get the card. $89.95+18% for 10 drinks.

HTH!

His review is a stitch. It was the July 2nd sailing.

I asked about the drink cards too and was told they were only sold on the second at sea day. I asked someone else about it and she didn't know. In fact everyone I encountered aside from my state room attendant was on their first contract.

So this was my third time on the Grandeur with the last time being in 2007. What has changed? Well there are some leaks around the boat that have a trashcan underneath them to catch the water (The big one being on the pool deck). There is a big cracked pane of glass surrounded by caution tape by the pool as well. This stuff won't probably fixed until the next dry-dock session and considering the age of the ship and the amount of abuse it sustains, it is no big deal.

I don't seem to remember bingo being $20 to play one game. The bingo can be played on a tablet and basically the tablet marks the card for you :confused:. Also, what happened to the midnight buffet? Apparently sometime in the last 9 years they went away. I never liked eating at them, but the ice carving and watermelon carvings were really cool. I asked a few workers about it and they thought I was nuts. At least the towel animals are still around. My son loved that.

The worst thing is Internet. You used to be able to use the PCs in the centrum for 30 minutes for $5. That was perfect for emailing family to let them know how things are going. Now its $17 a day for wifi. It is actually cheaper to make a minute phone call from the room :rolleyes:. The ship's engine trouble opened these up for free so that we could make arrangements, which was nice (the free access and not the engine trouble).

This was my son's first cruise. He absolutely hated the kids area. I felt bad leaving him there for an hour of me time. It is really small and the listed activities aren't exactly possible in the confined space. Thankfully there were 3 channels with kid shows. One of them had Magilla Gorilla, Top Cat, and other cartoons that my parents grew up with. My son really enjoyed the old cartoons and the movies at the pool. I don't recall that screen being there 9 years ago, so that was a great addition!

Other notes:

1. Casual dress in the MDR is extremely casual. Sure go ahead and wear socks with crocs. :p
  2. Everyone had the soda package or liquor package but us. People had a death grip on the soda cups and the $25 towels.
  3. Apparently they let you bring your own wine on the ship and will cork it for you for free. I don't drink wine, but I don't recall that being allowed years ago.
  4. Bermuda is nice, but we weren't there for long. I don't think it is possible to see St. George based on the arrival and departure schedule.
  5. Paul Rudder reminds me of Eugene Levy

For the most part, I think the ship has held up great. I definitely recommend it for anyone over 21. I think there are better options for kids.

Edited by zepp914

I asked about the drink cards too and was told they were only sold on the second at sea day. I asked someone else about it and she didn't know. In fact everyone I encountered aside from my state room attendant was on their first contract.

So this was my third time on the Grandeur with the last time being in 2007. What has changed? Well there are some leaks around the boat that have a trashcan underneath them to catch the water (The big one being on the pool deck). There is a big cracked pane of glass surrounded by caution tape by the pool as well. This stuff won't probably fixed until the next dry-dock session and considering the age of the ship and the amount of abuse it sustains, it is no big deal.

I don't seem to remember bingo being $20 to play one game. The bingo can be played on a tablet and basically the tablet marks the card for you :confused:. Also, what happened to the midnight buffet? Apparently sometime in the last 9 years they went away. I never liked eating at them, but the ice carving and watermelon carvings were really cool. I asked a few workers about it and they thought I was nuts. At least the towel animals are still around. My son loved that.

The worst thing is Internet. You used to be able to use the PCs in the centrum for 30 minutes for $5. That was perfect for emailing family to let them know how things are going. Now its $17 a day for wifi. It is actually cheaper to make a minute phone call from the room :rolleyes:. The ship's engine trouble opened these up for free so that we could make arrangements, which was nice (the free access and not the engine trouble).

This was my son's first cruise. He absolutely hated the kids area. I felt bad leaving him there for an hour of me time. It is really small and the listed activities aren't exactly possible in the confined space. Thankfully there were 3 channels with kid shows. One of them had Magilla Gorilla, Top Cat, and other cartoons that my parents grew up with. My son really enjoyed the old cartoons and the movies at the pool. I don't recall that screen being there 9 years ago, so that was a great addition!

Other notes:

1. Casual dress in the MDR is extremely casual. Sure go ahead and wear socks with crocs. :p
  2. Everyone had the soda package or liquor package but us. People had a death grip on the soda cups and the $25 towels.
  3. Apparently they let you bring your own wine on the ship and will cork it for you for free. I don't drink wine, but I don't recall that being allowed years ago.
  4. Bermuda is nice, but we weren't there for long. I don't think it is possible to see St. George based on the arrival and departure schedule.
  5. Paul Rudder reminds me of Eugene Levy

For the most part, I think the ship has held up great. I definitely recommend it for anyone over 21. I think there are better options for kids.

Well said--- that is why we left our kids at home. They went on their own vacation with grandparents, so we did not feel bad. Our kids would have been disappointed after sailing on Allure and Freedom, but for just my wife and myself,we accomplished our goal of a getaway with plenty of R&R.

As far as the big leak, we noticed that on deck 9 portside, water was pouring thru the roof. At one point, it must of tripped the breakers... as all the lights went out in tat section (come to think of it, it was during the big T-Shirt sale). I figured this was was from the big crack on Deck 10... did you notice the big rubber mat that had been bolted down... If you looked close, you could see a huge crack all the way across and even up on the railings. On our return sea day, I even saw a security guard up there with rope securing the railing some more.

I also noticed a window (aft starboard at elevators) Cant remember if it was deck 9 or 10... it was where the soundboard was for the centrum ariel show. That whole window was shattered... they had it taped up on the inside and caution tape on the outside.

In all honesty, I was expecting some kind of OBC for the engine trouble and late arrival. We were on Freedom last year when it caught on fire. While it was an inconvenience, being at muster for a couple hours, by no means did it really interfere with anyones departure plans. This delay on Grandeur affected departure plans! On Freedom, we got $150 OBC per cabin and free internet and phones... Those who had the internet package got a credit for a free day... mostly because of the mass number of people using the FREE internet it made it impossible for the paying customers to use it. I had the internet package on Grandeur also. It was impossible for me to use the internet during the afternoon/evening of the engine trouble announcement. I guess that is up to each individual captain. While insurance should take care of airfare arrangements, etc. I am sure the delay cost some people some extra $$.

Although I've never cruised on The Grandeur, we did take our daughter on The Majesty when she was 8 and she loved the kids program. We had Paul Rudder once as a CD fill-in. Very little energy there even during The Quest. It seems that on any given cruise, the Activities Director seems to be more engaging and personable than the CD.

I agree that dinner in the WJ is a totally pleasant experience. Not just the quiet ambiance but we were in and out in less time than it takes to eat in the MDR.

I have had the pleasure of being on two ships that Paul was the CD. He was fabulous. I find he entertains at the shows, he is involved around the ship with passengers. True, they are structuring the dept differently and Andre, who is WONDERFUL, does more of the out in public stuff. But compared to other CD, we thought Paul was quite good. Loved his openings of shows with real humor instead of just introductions. He actually remembered us and sought us out a few times to chat. We do get involved with Trivia and other activities so we got to know the staff. All of them were wonderful.

I figured this was was from the big crack on Deck 10... did you notice the big rubber mat that had been bolted down... If you looked close, you could see a huge crack all the way across and even up on the railings. On our return sea day, I even saw a security guard up there with rope securing the railing some more.

I also noticed a window (aft starboard at elevators) Cant remember if it was deck 9 or 10... it was where the soundboard was for the centrum ariel show. That whole window was shattered... they had it taped up on the inside and caution tape on the outside.

In all honesty, I was expecting some kind of OBC for the engine trouble and late arrival.

I saw the mat, but I didn't get too close to check it out. The only time I saw security on the trip was when we were getting back on the boat from Bermuda. I wonder how that crack happened as it doesn't appear to be in a place that would get stressed.

I have never received OBC for any of the weird stuff that has happened while on a cruise, so I never expect it. I believe if you bought your airline tickets thru Royal, you are safe. At least I was when the Majesty was late getting into Miami years ago. Those who rolled their own airfare probably were hosed. I am not sure calling and complaining would get you anything as they always suggest purchasing travel insurance :rolleyes:

They could have at least bought us a free drink!

I was reading another review of Grandeur (YorkVillian's-AMAZING...if you want a good laugh, have a gander). But anyway.. He mentioned that he never saw the card advertised, but asked a bartender. The bartender asked an officer, but was able to get the card. $89.95+18% for 10 drinks.

HTH!

His review is a stitch. It was the July 2nd sailing.

Laney's gag reflex saved that review. [emoji3]