Talk me into booking Nieuw for our Alaskan cruise!

RubySlippers102

Just when I thought I had settled on a cruise line, of course I've decided to change my mind. I'm planning our first cruise to Alaska for August 2017 and the Nieuw hits my important itinerary requirements, but I've heard so much about Holland catering to a more mature clientele that I'm really hesitating. I know the ship choice for Alaska is very low on priorities but still, we are a young couple in our 30s. We'd like to have some couples around our age to connect with, and some nightlife...not crazy but a lounge that plays music from this decade would be nice. We're also foodies so dining is important. If you've sailed on Nieuw and loved it, please sell it to me! Also recommendations for a great balcony cabin would be much appreciated! I'm confused by the VA, VB, VC, etc categories...not sure what the difference is and which are better.

Thanks!

Aimee

I did an Alaska cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam in May. It was my third HAL cruise and there were far more younger couples and families than on my other HAL cruises.

The various "V" cabins are the same except for location (and of course, price). I was in 8018 a VE cabin. Normally I would not choose a cabin under a public deck but it was in a good location underneath the spa. It was very quiet.

There were a couple of music venues each evening with the Show Host such as "All Request Hour" and "The Beat Goes On". Not sure what type of music was played at these.

I had a fantastic time. She is still a fairly new ship in great condition. The food was good and service excellent.

Welcome ot CC and to HAL.

We sailed this cruise May 2016 twice (back-to-back) and will be repeating another back-to-back May 2017. I will be doing a live thread here on CC during those two weeks where I will be reporting daily activities and answering questions for subsequent cruisers.

Here is a link to our On Locations (daily activities) that should be similar to next years cruise:

https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/on-locations-specific-cruises/nieuw-amsterdam-alaska-2016-on-locations/

To get you acquainted with the NA, here is my photo review that includes views of different categories of staterooms:

https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/ms-nieuw-amsterdam-on-board-images/

During school vacation periods, younger families are able to cruise and you will be quite comfortable with your fellow passengers.

Feel free to ask questions as many here on CC will be happy to help you with choosing excursions that will take advantage of all the wildlife and scenery that Alaska offers.

Just to note. 24/7 Room Service is free and you can bring your own water/soda.

FWIW I used to live in Mt Arlington, NJ

Edited by Crew News

We're booked on her in Jul 2017. Never sailed on her but lots of other HAL ships. At that time of year & that itinerary there should be a good mix of young & old. We've never had a bad meal on any HAL ship. Between the Crows Nest, Ocean Bar & the Piano Bar there should be a good mix of music.

Allan

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We have sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam quite a few times.

If you sail on her the first couple of weeks of August 2017, you will have quite a lot of younger people on board. Schools in many areas open the 3rd week of August.

She is a lovely ship.

Be sure that you try the Tamarind Restaurant.

Frankly, based on what you said you're looking for in ship atmosphere, I would not recommend the Nieuw Amsterdam (or even Holland America) to you.

Yes, in Alaska you will find other young couples, but many of them will be with children, and may not want to stay out at night to play.

If you like Billy Joel, Elton John, and music of that era, you might enjoy the Piano Bar, but I got the sense that you want music that is more recent. You won't find it. BB King music, which is blues and older songs, is available, but again, doesn't sound what you are looking for. I found them far too loud to even get near the place.

I did not look forward to dinners on the Nieuw Amsterdam, and even preferred the Lido buffet for dinner on the first Gala nights; the dining room menu is that poor.

Service in both my cabin and dining room table was excellent. Service in the lounge was decent.

The itinerary is fabulous!

We chose HAL for our first AK cruise, it was also our first HAL cruise & we love it. We were mid-30's & travelled with a 4.5 year old.

We chose based on itinerary. Seriously, if I want current music, I can get that where I live. (or more inexpensively on a Caribbean cruise) Glacier Bay is not in my neck of the woods.

Visiting Tracy Arm & Glacier Bay made the trip for me!

We are taking HAL to AK again - for 14-nights next time!

We do enjoy blues music and because itinerary is the most important thing, I bit the bullet and booked an aft balcony 7138. Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best!
You will love that location. We were in the same area except on Deck 4 for Alaska in May. We always book aft if we can. We really like the Nieuw Amsterdam. Definitely book the Pinnacle and the Tamarind restaurants. Oh, BTW, we never heard any Frank Sinatra or Benny Goodman music. :D The Piano Bar is fun, and you can make requests. Some ships are doing away with the Piano Bar, but it's still on the NA.

Have fun with your planning.

We are in our mid forties with two teenagers and just took the NA to Alaska last month. We had a great time. The BB King blues band on our cruise did play some newer material, though I'm not sure it was on the normal set list or not. On the last night, many of the show performers and the cruise director were on the dance floor and the band played Uptown Funk, Blurred Lines, some Prince, James Brown. It was pretty funky. Even during their normal sets they'd move between classic R&B, straight-up blues and Motown. Great, great band. The bands and players rotate over time, so there's no guarantee you'll get that exact band. But all the bands are good, from what we hear. We've also seen the band on the Koningsdam, and that one had a slightly different feel and played more classic blues, but it was still a solid band.

The Northern Lights dance club definitely played newer music at night (plus a certain amount of 80's flashback and whatnot), but there were not a lot of people there past about 10:30-11. I think mostly it's that people are out doing active excursions and are tired. And they may have a 7:30 meeting for the next day's excursions.

I'd highly recommend HAL or Princess for Alaska, because they have so many itineraries that go to Glacier Bay. Overall, I wouldn't worry about the demographics. Alaska is all about the destination. The ship is comfortable, there's plenty to occupy your time onboard, and the food is excellent. What more do you need? :-)

Have a great cruise!

Just when I thought I had settled on a cruise line, of course I've decided to change my mind. I'm planning our first cruise to Alaska for August 2017 and the Nieuw hits my important itinerary requirements, but I've heard so much about Holland catering to a more mature clientele that I'm really hesitating. I know the ship choice for Alaska is very low on priorities but still, we are a young couple in our 30s. We'd like to have some couples around our age to connect with, and some nightlife...not crazy but a lounge that plays music from this decade would be nice. We're also foodies so dining is important. If you've sailed on Nieuw and loved it, please sell it to me! Also recommendations for a great balcony cabin would be much appreciated! I'm confused by the VA, VB, VC, etc categories...not sure what the difference is and which are better.

Thanks!

Aimee

Hi Aimee,

I was in my late020s (now mid-30s) when I went to Alaska the first time and it was with HAL on the Ms Oosterdam. Being my first cruise I didn't know what to expect, but choose HAL specifically for the itinerary and the reputation, and I am so glad I did!

A few years ago, I went back to Alaska on a sister ship to the Oosterdam, the Westerdam. I recall other people my age, but I am so tired for go go going while in port that late nights didn't happen often. :)

I haven't been on the Nieuw, but I have been on the Eurodam and loved it. The Nieuw is on my list, but the itineraries have not matched up with my travel plans.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Nieuw Amsterdam (any HAL ship, really!) and Alaska. I did sail with Celebrity last fall, to Alaska, and had a wonderful time, but I missed seeing Glacier Bay. Celebrity did seem to have more activities and entertainment. The food in the Main Dining Room was okay, but even though I am a "foodie" and I am picky "foodie" and I chose not to eat in the Main Dining Room most nights.

Good luck with your decision!

Stephanie

Ruby- you'll love it! Did you book a land tour with the cruise? I still have to do my review, but the best thing we did was the MICA guide tour a day before the rest of our group flew in. Trekking on a glacier for three hours was the highlight of our cruise!

Even though we were on the Zaandam, make sure to check out the piano bar. We were there many nights and had a great time. Oldies like Elton, Billy, Neil Diamond, and he played current songs like Adele and Ed Sheeran.