Why so much negativity?

babs135

I did read your post and didn't realize it meant that you never did the entertainment on the ship, thanks for clarifying.:)
Hey, easy to misunderstand and I might have not been clear. I've heard the entertain is not so great compared to NCL, which I've heard is great, but you got me if it is true.

Sparks, what do you think about Mr. Sheehan making a bonehead remark in 2013 that NCL already had the opportunity to be at the top of the premium category with their then beautiful ships and freestyle experience (obviously he had never sailed on a premium line, otherwise he would have never said that). You are pretty critical of Mr. Del Rio saying he wanted to make NCL a premium line, but Mr. Sheehan said they already had the opportunity to be at the TOP (yes, he said top) of the premium lines. What a joke and to think that the board probably believed him.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Hey, easy to misunderstand and I might have not been clear. I've heard the entertain is not so great compared to NCL, which I've heard is great, but you got me if it is true.

Sparks, what do you think about Mr. Sheehan making a bonehead remark in 2013 that NCL already had the opportunity to be at the top of the premium category with their then beautiful ships and freestyle experience (obviously he had never sailed on a premium line, otherwise he would have never said that). You are pretty critical of Mr. Del Rio saying he wanted to make NCL a premium line, but Mr. Sheehan said they already had the opportunity to be at the TOP (yes, he said top) of the premium lines. What a joke and to think that the board probably believed him.

It was a bonehead remark;) (although I think this is the first time I've read it). I am more critical of the way Del Rio is going about achieving his goal than the goal itself (I also think they'll have a very difficult time achieving it). Let's face it, for someone with Del Rio's experience he and his team have made a lot of rookie mistakes.

It was a bonehead remark;) (although I think this is the first time I've read it). I am more critical of the way Del Rio is going about achieving his goal than the goal itself (I also think they'll have a very difficult time achieving it). Let's face it, for someone with Del Rio's experience he and his team have made a lot of rookie mistakes.
I didn't know he said it, until it was recently brought up on here and I researched it, but then why would anyone bring it up when they could blame Mr. Del Rio for it. I think Mr. Del Rio is in a bad situation and is scrambling, because I'm sure the board believed what Mr. Sheehan said and is telling Mr. Del Rio to make it happen. IMHO, they need to drop the premium aspirations and go back to doing what they do well, being a mass-market cruise line.

I think NLH Arizona provided an excellent explanation at post 215.

Maybe Crystal is a good example of a business selling a "perception". Their ships are very old for the cruise business 1995 and 2003. They were owned by NYK lines before Genting took over.

I see they are discounting their cruises up to 75% so that may indicate a problem fillng their ships.

The big question is "what are they offering to justify their high book prices, and why the need to heavily discount in a booming cruise market."

The most successful businesses in the world cater to the general public at the low end, and those who only cater to the segment that want top of the line services and products are struggling.

I note the comments about what Sheehan said, and I think what Sheehan accomplished is much more important than what he said. He was the guiding force that saved NCL from tanking when he took over the mess that Veitch left.

Edited by swedish weave

Maybe Crystal is a good example of a business selling a "perception". Their ships are very old for the cruise business 1995 and 2003. They were owned by NYK lines before Genting took over.

I see they are discounting their cruises up to 75% so that may indicate a problem fillng their ships.

The big question is "what are they offering to justify their high book prices, and why the need to heavily discount in a booming cruise market."

The most successful businesses in the world cater to the general public at the low end, and those who only cater to the segment that want top of the line services and products are struggling.

I note the comments about what Sheehan said, and I think what Sheehan accomplished is much more important than what he said. He was the guiding force that saved NCL from tanking when he took over the mess that Veitch left.

Agreed. Isn't Crystal (or was it another premium line) also the line with more health inspection failures, keeping food in the hallways, etc.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

Agreed. Isn't Crystal (or was it another premium line) also the line with more health inspection failures, keeping food in the hallways, etc.

You may be thinking of Silver Seas cruise line. They failed inspections in 2015 and were caught hiding food and supplies from the inspectors on the Silver Shadow. For a "luxury" cruise line, they were pretty blatant about their actions.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2015/05/articles/norovirus/silver-shadow-fails-cdc-sanitation-inspection-again/

You may be thinking of Silver Seas cruise line. They failed inspections in 2015 and were caught hiding food and supplies from the inspectors on the Silver Shadow. For a "luxury" cruise line, they were pretty blatant about their actions.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2015/05/articles/norovirus/silver-shadow-fails-cdc-sanitation-inspection-again/

You are right, my apologies to Crystal.

Seems like all lines have some issues, here is the most recent health scores for the two Crystal ships and the 13 NCL ships, just so we can level set everything.

Ship - score - last inspection date

Crystal Serenity - 100 - 5/9 (out of 18 inspections only 1 under 93 at 88)

NCL Getaway - 100 - 6/26 (out of 6 inspections none under 92)

NCL Spirit - 100 - 3/29

NCL Sky - 99 - 3/21

NCL Gem - 99 - 3/27

NCL Escape - 97 - 4/23 (two inspection one 1 92 and 1 97)

NCL Jade - 97 - 12/19

Crystal Symphony - 96 - 3/25 (out of 34 inspections only 1 under 94 at 88)

NCL Pearl - 95 - 5/12

NCL Star - 94 - 3/13

NCL Sun - 94 - 6/17

NCL Dawn - 91 - 7/8

NCL Epic - 91 - 4/19 (out of 11 inspection only 1 under 91 at 89)

NCL Jewel - 91 - 5/11

NCL Breakaway - 88 - 5/8 (out of 7 inspections only 1 under 91 at 88)

I looked at all inspections on both Crystal ships and the mega ships on NCL.

Just saw your post above, wish I would have seen it before I did this research, but at least the research was interesting.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I am posting because this was our first time on a Norwegian Cruise Line, we did the Breakaway August 7-14. I had read so many bad reviews before we left that I was really afraid that we made a terrible mistake booking this cruise! I am here to say that WE had a fabulous time! The ship was beautiful ( I read alot of complaints that it was dirty?? We saw staff cleaning and sprucing up constantly). People complained about the food....we found it to be fair to very good (we ate at O'Sheehans, Cirque Dinner show, La Cucina, Manhattan, Cagney's, Taste, The Garden Buffet, Uptown Grill). The Cirque dinner show was actually our least favorite meal. Most staff were very friendly and accommodating, constantly asking if we were having a good time, and if we needed anything. The entertainers were very good, we saw Cirque (fabulous, except the meal), Rock of Ages (loved it), and Burn the Floor (excellent). We also spent time in Howl at The Moon, so much fun!!!!! We did a wine tasting which was very informative, and sat at Shakers while a Martini tasting was going on....also very informative.

My only "complaint" would be with the amount of people that I saw who thought they were "entitled" to much more.....it was disgusting. I heard a woman complaining to customer service that she emailed them to book a dinner reservation and was upset to find out she didn't have a reservation, she insisted that they do something to "make it up to her"!! We had passes to the VIBE, you needed a separate key card and a wrist band to use it. I saw I young girl (early 20's)come in on Sunday as we were sailing out, bragging on her phone that they had passes to the exclusive adults only section, and when the waiter told her she had to wear her wrist band (at least for the first 2 days until the staff got to know you) she said she wanted to "speak to management" because she was told she didn't need to wear it!! She had it with her, she just felt that it was a nuisance to actually wear it!!!

Also, we were with friends that had children with them so they couldn't take advantage of sections like VIBE and had to fight to find chairs on the sundecks and pooldecks. People would get up and hold numerous chairs for their whole party and then not show up for hours, and in one case, not at all! Again that is just plain entitlement.

I guess my point is not to let all of the negative reviews worry you. We had an amazing vacation and would not hesitate to sail with NCL again!

I am posting because this was our first time on a Norwegian Cruise Line, we did the Breakaway August 7-14. I had read so many bad reviews before we left that I was really afraid that we made a terrible mistake booking this cruise! I am here to say that WE had a fabulous time! The ship was beautiful ( I read alot of complaints that it was dirty?? We saw staff cleaning and sprucing up constantly). People complained about the food....we found it to be fair to very good (we ate at O'Sheehans, Cirque Dinner show, La Cucina, Manhattan, Cagney's, Taste, The Garden Buffet, Uptown Grill). The Cirque dinner show was actually our least favorite meal. Most staff were very friendly and accommodating, constantly asking if we were having a good time, and if we needed anything. The entertainers were very good, we saw Cirque (fabulous, except the meal), Rock of Ages (loved it), and Burn the Floor (excellent). We also spent time in Howl at The Moon, so much fun!!!!! We did a wine tasting which was very informative, and sat at Shakers while a Martini tasting was going on....also very informative.

My only "complaint" would be with the amount of people that I saw who thought they were "entitled" to much more.....it was disgusting. I heard a woman complaining to customer service that she emailed them to book a dinner reservation and was upset to find out she didn't have a reservation, she insisted that they do something to "make it up to her"!! We had passes to the VIBE, you needed a separate key card and a wrist band to use it. I saw I young girl (early 20's)come in on Sunday as we were sailing out, bragging on her phone that they had passes to the exclusive adults only section, and when the waiter told her she had to wear her wrist band (at least for the first 2 days until the staff got to know you) she said she wanted to "speak to management" because she was told she didn't need to wear it!! She had it with her, she just felt that it was a nuisance to actually wear it!!!

Also, we were with friends that had children with them so they couldn't take advantage of sections like VIBE and had to fight to find chairs on the sundecks and pooldecks. People would get up and hold numerous chairs for their whole party and then not show up for hours, and in one case, not at all! Again that is just plain entitlement.

I guess my point is not to let all of the negative reviews worry you. We had an amazing vacation and would not hesitate to sail with NCL again!

I am glad you didn't let the negatives sway you into not going on the cruise. Some folks just always see a negative and others, like you, give things a chance and it usually works out to be a positive experience.

As for the entitled folks, the only negatives I usually have on my cruises are other passengers and their behavior, but thankfully you only run into them a few times on a cruise. Some times I wonder how the crew always seems to stay so calm with dealing with some of these folks...I know I couldn't.

Thanks for a ray of sunshine in what can be dreary reading.