Why so much negativity?

babs135

Even threads asking for positives with cruising with NCL have descended into negativity. It truly is depressing.

I know, from reading this board for some time, that there have been a lot of changes to the NCL product which have been met with dismay, eg the water policy/replacing free eateries with paying ones, etc etc. but I'm afraid that's life. NCL is a business and as such is run with the intention of making money. How they then chose how to use the profits is up to the men back at Headquarters. They can either 'give back to the paying public or get greedy and increase prices more in order to make even more money'

If it was a shop putting up prices and removing favourite items you would vote with your feet and never shop there again so maybe, just maybe the answer is to stop cruising with NCL. So many of you are complaining bitterly but still booking trips - why? If you feel that angry at the changes then choose another cruiseline; there are plenty out there.

We will be on the Breakaway later this year and despite any misgivings that I have, we will have a great time. Maybe because it will be our first time on an NCL ship this big (we've done the Spirit) we won't notice what some people perceive as shortcomings. Hell, I'm on holiday; someone else is cooking my meals (free ones of course :D), washing up, making my bed, I have the UBP, and because I'm from the UK I don't pay the extra gratuities, so I will be more than happy. Just have to hope for good weather and smooth sailing. What more can a girl want?!!!!

I have to say that, whilst anyone has the right to comment either positively or negatively, I do struggle to understand why so many people put themselves through it.

Unfortunately, cut backs are absolutely everywhere. I'm flying out to Copenhagen tomorrow to join the Star next week. On my flight I know that the complementary food offered has been cut back. The free beer I used to get at the hotel due to my status has now gone. Neither the airline nor hotel has informed me of this, I know via comments on the net (and experience with the hotel).

I could vote with my feet, but they are actually pretty minor changes and wherever I went instead there will be the same things happening. We need another economic downturn (which is probably coming) for this to stop, as places will need to be more competitive then, but to be honest I'd rather more people had jobs and spare money than cheaper holidays.

We've actually had it pretty good over the last few years when it comes to pricing etc on things like holidays. That's changing unfortunately.

One thing I know for sure. If an when NCL change things to the extent that I choose not to use them again, that will be it for me. I will move on to somewhere else and be done with it. I don't care enough about a faceless corporation to stay around here going on about it.

Others obviously see it differently, and that's their decision. I don't understand why they do it to themselves though.

Even threads asking for positives with cruising with NCL have descended into negativity. It truly is depressing.

I know, from reading this board for some time, that there have been a lot of changes to the NCL product which have been met with dismay, eg the water policy/replacing free eateries with paying ones, etc etc. but I'm afraid that's life. NCL is a business and as such is run with the intention of making money. How they then chose how to use the profits is up to the men back at Headquarters. They can either 'give back to the paying public or get greedy and increase prices more in order to make even more money'

If it was a shop putting up prices and removing favourite items you would vote with your feet and never shop there again so maybe, just maybe the answer is to stop cruising with NCL. So many of you are complaining bitterly but still booking trips - why? If you feel that angry at the changes then choose another cruiseline; there are plenty out there.

We will be on the Breakaway later this year and despite any misgivings that I have, we will have a great time. Maybe because it will be our first time on an NCL ship this big (we've done the Spirit) we won't notice what some people perceive as shortcomings. Hell, I'm on holiday; someone else is cooking my meals (free ones of course :D), washing up, making my bed, I have the UBP, and because I'm from the UK I don't pay the extra gratuities, so I will be more than happy. Just have to hope for good weather and smooth sailing. What more can a girl want?!!!!

We're with you on this one. We've been on the Spirit 3 times already and love it and are booked B2B on the Spirit this coming Christmas and New Year as well as Christmas 2017 . As you say no cooking, cleaning, washing up, making beds what more could anybody want. We have the UBP included and as we booked in UK no gratuities to pay. So we can't take water on, there plenty on tap in the buffet

To be honest I just ignore it. Before we went on the Epic earlier this year people seemed to have something negative to say about every little thing to do with NCL and the ship. Guess what, it wasn't perfect but we had a blast. I expect the same with our Escape cruise next year. I'll be over the moon just to be on a Caribbean beach instead of my desk at work. The fact I'm sailing around on a luxury cruise liner being stuffed full with gorgeous food 24/7 probably makes me more privileged than what, maybe 80% of the worlds population? And I'm greatful for it.

Perhaps the complaints come from people who sailed in the era when lobster and champagne fell from the sky everytime they exited their cabin. Perhaps they just like to complain. As you say, I don't understand why people keep buying a product if they think it's rubbish.

If they want to experience real cuts they should come and try out living in the UK under a Tory Government in a recession :D

I had been very loyal to NCL. However, it's been so many "little" changes so quickly that finally got to me. It just seems like once a month (or less) that changes are made - none adding, just removing. And, they didn't add the high speed internet as even promised (which, personally, would have just covered a lot of my disappointment as I have to be reachable 24/7).

I'm a stockholder, so, from a business perspective, I'm all for them being competitive (though, no dividends have been paid).

What concerns me is the almost constant "slight" changes. For me, it was the soda. Yes, may seem silly; however, I'm allergic to a lot of things and hate Pepsi with a passion. So, I always have my small supply of Coke and add some Rum. I may have 2 a day like that? OK, I figured I'd switch to just Martinis. Now, the 2 types I will drink are priced out of UBP.

While it's just a few dollars (and I have plenty of OBC to cover), it's just tiring. Maybe it's because I'm done with paying 200% of fare (I'm solo) to be in the Haven, and then get a chit for $2 or $3 for the few drinks I'll have. (And, in the Haven they have changed the menu even.)

So, NCL has always been a wonderful product. However, it's time to branch out. I only manage 2 weeks of vacation a year (even though I'm entitled to quite a bit more). I don't want to constantly be uncertain of small changes.

If they slow that down, then I can put them back on my cruise radar.

Edited to add: I should note that I wouldn't have even posted much at all; however, the "soda" thing came after final payment, so I had no option but to keep the cruise. I seriously would have cancelled and just found a replacement or spent it on the beach in Miami at this point.

Happy Cruising!

Edited by Frick_&_Frack
Add

Perhaps the complaints come from people who sailed in the era when lobster and champagne fell from the sky everytime they exited their cabin.

The negative comments that particularly amuse me are the ones that are so focused on the lack of things like this.

I've never gone on holiday to drink champagne or eat lobster. Yes I'll take it if offered (although there are many things I'd eat before lobster), but the lack of it is totally irrelevant to me.

Given people's budgets and lifestyles, the holiday industry as a whole seems to have recognised that if it comes to a choice between luxury items or cost then cost tends to win. That must be frustrating for those who see those things as important although they do still have many options), but for those of us who are there for different reasons (and I believe we are the vast majority), this is actually a good thing.

The attitude that you get from some people, who suggest that we just don't know what we are missing and really wouldn't like things now if we had experienced the "good old days" always makes me laugh. I know what lobster and champagne taste like. I've eaten in some really good restaurants, and have had what many people consider exceptional service (what I think of as fawning, and hate). I'm looking forward to some decent meals and fun times next week, but the real treat will be that places like Stockholm, Tallinn and St Petersburg are there waiting for us to explore.

To be able to visit these places in comfort at a price that means we can do it a few times a year is far more important than whether they hand me champagne or feed me lobster all the time.

Edited by KeithJenner

I used to be a NCL loyalist - they were our first go-to for a cruise. We enjoyed the onboard experience immensely.

I am still hanging around this board to keep abreast of any changes and to see whether NCL would come back on our radar as a cruise choice. So far it has made for depressing reading. As a Platinum level, still active cruiser, I feel I have the right to pass comment on NCL changes. I would applaud any changes for the customer which I felt were positive - unfortunately I have yet to see any.

When I compare our recent cruise experiences with Princess and P&O, I can clearly see that NCL are more interested in screwing the last penny out of you than treating you as a (non-monetary) valued guest.

Look at the comparative prices of drinks, booze packages etc. and you will see that NCL is way more expensive. Their cruise fares in UK are also not that competitive, neither are their same old itineraries (granted there are some new ones for Jade next year - I am waiting on prices - I expect them to be excessive).

Look at the comparative prices of drinks, booze packages etc. and you will see that NCL is way more expensive. Their cruise fares in UK are also not that competitive, neither are their same old itineraries (granted there are some new ones for Jade next year - I am waiting on prices - I expect them to be excessive).

The value that NCL represent does depend massively on how much you drink in my opinion. Non drinkers are getting hit my the increased fares, whereas for people like me, the value of the perks means that NCL is still quite competitive.

We are actually booked on the Jade next year and the price per day is slightly cheaper than last time we were on her, in 2014, when you take into account the perks that come with it.

I looked around at the competition when booking that Jade cruise and found that the prices were really all so close that nothing stood out as being notably better (or worse) value for money.

Obviously, if we didn't drink then that would probably have been different.

Re pricing: for our cruise just booked I compared prices on NCL, Carnival and RCI. NCL was cheaper than RCI and the same as Carnival and with the free perks on NCL only that makes it good value to me. Not sure if the pricing is different in the UK vs US but they aren't overpriced vs other cruise lines for us.

Negativity is all over the place. Look at the other forums and the remarks are interchangeable between cruise lines.People love to complain, period. When people are happy, they don't seem to post, unless it's to berate a complainer.NCL is no different than the other lines for increasing the price of the cruise, restaurants, or drinks. The bottom line is profit. As others have said, if you don't like it, try another line.

Re pricing: for our cruise just booked I compared prices on NCL, Carnival and RCI. NCL was cheaper than RCI and the same as Carnival and with the free perks on NCL only that makes it good value to me. Not sure if the pricing is different in the UK vs US but they aren't overpriced vs other cruise lines for us.

It really does seem to depend on the value to the individual of the promos.

If you take the Jade, as it makes a good direct comparison, the same cabin cost us about 15% more per day for 2017 than for 2014. However, when you take into account the promos, 2017 becomes better value by about 5%, some of which is lost by increased onboard fees, but the cruise overall is still cheaper.

I think base UK fares are a bit more than the US, but we save by not paying the gratuity on the promos.

From memory, when pricing up 2017 cruises a few months ago, NCL were pretty well in the middle price wise. If I took out the benefit of the promos then they were certainly amongst the most expensive, probably by about 10% compared to RCI. Others who were more expensive do probably offer more for your money (if it has value to you).

It really does seem to depend on the value to the individual of the promos.

If you take the Jade, as it makes a good direct comparison, the same cabin cost us about 15% more per day for 2017 than for 2014. However, when you take into account the promos, 2017 becomes better value by about 5%, some of which is lost by increased onboard fees, but the cruise overall is still cheaper.

I think base UK fares are a bit more than the US, but we save by not paying the gratuity on the promos.

From memory, when pricing up 2017 cruises a few months ago, NCL were pretty well in the middle price wise. If I took out the benefit of the promos then they were certainly amongst the most expensive, probably by about 10% compared to RCI. Others who were more expensive do probably offer more for your money (if it has value to you).

Agree- although we barely drink and it still makes sense to us to have a free drinks package vs no free drinks package. I guess like you say it's different for the US where they have to pay the gratuities on the UBP. I wouldn't be against trying another cruise line, but when RCI is 25% more expensive and no free drinks it doesn't make sense! I think Americans get better pricing in general than us :(

Negativity is all over the place. Look at the other forums and the remarks are interchangeable between cruise lines.People love to complain, period. When people are happy, they don't seem to post, unless it's to berate a complainer.NCL is no different than the other lines for increasing the price of the cruise, restaurants, or drinks. The bottom line is profit. As others have said, if you don't like it, try another line.

Yes, it is absolutely everywhere.

I remember when I first joined a forum for a sports team I support, about 15 years ago, and I was stunned by the amount of negativity. It eventually drove me away from the forum (when we won the league it didn't even stop people moaning).

Internet forums are an incredible place to study people. I find them really interesting for that reason.

My experience is that the negativity often comes from those who feel an emotional attachment. It's interesting sometimes when people get criticised and told things like "the corporation doesn't love you back". My relationship is purely a business one. I like the product, but am indifferent to the company behind it. I often conclude that the feelings of the person criticising are far more based on emotion.

Obviously, grumbling about specific issues (which we all do) is something different. I'm talking about the almost obsessive posting and list keeping (for example) that can be seen here, and all over the Internet.

Just to clarify, many of my comments relate just as much to the more rabid supporters who will defend the company against just about anything (as was demonstrated on other threads here last night).

It's easier to work out why they hang around here though.

I think part of it is things like people posting multiple threads every week re hashing the same old threads over and over such as tipping, DSC, etc. These have been discussed over and over and over and over, no one is having their minds changed but people continue to post the same thread each week. Additionally things like people who seem like their only reason to be on the NCL Board is to bash them and tell everyone how bad they are, yet they continue to cruise on them and continue to post. I am not sure about anyone out there but if i had such a horrible experience the last thing I would be doing is keep cruising on them.

Yes there have been a lot of changes, if you don't like the changes don't cruise on NCL, if enough people don't cruise on NCL and the ships start sailing empty they will figure it our.

There is so much great information on this site, I have learned so much and had so much better experiences from the advice people have given me.

I think part of it is things like people posting multiple threads every week re hashing the same old threads over and over such as tipping, DSC, etc. These have been discussed over and over and over and over, no one is having their minds changed but people continue to post the same thread each week.

This is a really good point. I am on here primarily to try to give advice to people. Even though I can give reasonably good practical information about tipping, I usually steer well clear of questions on that as just a wrong word can kick off an incredibly detailed discussion about definitions of gratuities and service charges which I think does put off a lot of people who are visiting the site to find information.

I can pretty much say I have been happy with each cruise I have been on. They are all different, and I have liked different aspects of each. Really the staff, ports of call all make each vacation unique. I too just like being away from work, no cooking, no cleaning, etc. I have had small bumps on each cruise, though often many things had nothing to do with the cruise line and others were. I really can't say I have any major negatives for a cruise, though again each had something I liked more than others. Personally I find them to be more alike than different.

I like the specialty restaurants on NCL, though I wish they would just make all dining part of the cruise. Truly if they raised the fare $100 and included all restaurants would just seem better to most people. We have had good dining in them and not in others.

We like the set dining on Carnival and the rotation of staff on Disney. Truly our best dining experiences were on those two - mostly our 10 day on the Pride and the 14 day on Disney Magic. I would have to say it really was our dining staff (and the entertainment staff on the Pride), that really made those trips enjoyable and more memorable than others.

Entertainment shows - I think Carnival has better Comedians, Disney does the best Broadway style shows, I don't care for the comedians on NCL - Second City I just don't find funny - but others enjoy it. I did like Burn the Floor and Rock of Ages. I also enjoyed the Cirque dinner show.

I am really looking forward to our Breakaway trip in October, will be nice to sail the ship again since we did the first TA when the ship came over. Will be nice to see how it has improved over that first trip. Though we realize they were new and learning and they always have kinks to work out, which has had plenty of time. Not to mention Bermuda will also be new for us. Overall most of the changes don't really affect me anyway. I will be happy just to use my drink package that I only paid the gratuity on (I would have spent more than the gratuity on drinks, but not the $79 a day).

Constant petty carping is as annoying as constant unthinking cheerleading. However, if someone feels things are not right, why not point it out? If a service provider is not made aware of perceived flaws in the service offered, there will be no incentive to improve.

A number of posters would like to sail NCL for a number of reasons: ports of embarkation not well served by other lines, particular itineraries, on board experience, etc. are all factors. But if they see certain negatives as limiting the desirability -- why not point them out?

Constant petty carping is as annoying as constant unthinking cheerleading. However, if someone feels things are not right, why not point it out? If a service provider is not made aware of perceived flaws in the service offered, there will be no incentive to improve.

A number of posters would like to sail NCL for a number of reasons: ports of embarkation not well served by other lines, particular itineraries, on board experience, etc. are all factors. But if they see certain negatives as limiting the desirability -- why not point them out?

absolutely point it out and continue to do so until you get satisfaction but do it on the ship. The problem I have is when people come back and say from the minute i stepped on the ship everything was horrible, all food was inedible, staff were all rude etc. Come on really this did not happen.

Whenever i read a review if it is all negative I disregard it, it is virtually impossible to have a 100% negative experience.

imo, because ncl is constantly attacking it's customers with dumber and dumber policies. and they are enacting those policies after customers final payment date forcing those customers to accept the stupidity. imo, ncl may be getting those extra 5 dollars they want out of existing customers but they are losing much more when those customers go elsewhere for their cruising experience.

One reason for cuting of things are........WE all ( or most off us) want to pay less and less and less for certain things....and what do companies do....cuting of service, bringing on liquids and other stuff etc etc. And thats not only with cruise line companies.

Marie

because thats all people do nowadays is complain and whine.... especially on cruise critic. Its the modern culutural norm... Me, Me, Me everything is a dramatic tragedy and was dont to slight me.

Look at the thread and outrage about the Pearl having to stay a day in Seattle for repairs. I mean, what else do you want NCL to do? They have to repair the ship? What do you want? a free compensation flight on a rocket to the moon in its place?

Oh and the crying about bottled water.... OH MY GOD. Like listening to 9 year olds who were just told no to ice cream.

Acknowledging everyone on here is an adult..... the majority of people here need tyo Grow up.

Edited by Deptacon

It's one thing for posters to point out flaws with a product. It's another to obsessively do it on a daily basis when it gets to a point where you wonder if certain posters actually have mental health issues or the are paid shills for other lines.

I'm all for constructive dialogue but there are certain posters who are just ruining an otherwise enjoyable forum.