Why so much negativity?

babs135

It's one thing for posters to point out flaws with a product. It's another to obsessively do it on a daily basis when it gets to a point where you wonder if certain posters actually have mental health issues or the are paid shills for other lines.

I'm all for constructive dialogue but there are certain posters who are just ruining an otherwise enjoyable forum.

Same can be said of those on "the other side". There are enough posters who are so pro-NCL one has to wonder if they are on that payroll also;). At the end of the day is having both sides of a story really that bad when trying to make a decision? I know that's what I want to see when I'm deciding something, both the pros and the cons.

I had been very loyal to NCL. However, it's been so many "little" changes so quickly that finally got to me. It just seems like once a month (or less) that changes are made - none adding, just removing. And, they didn't add the high speed internet as even promised (which, personally, would have just covered a lot of my disappointment as I have to be reachable 24/7).

I'm a stockholder, so, from a business perspective, I'm all for them being competitive (though, no dividends have been paid).

What concerns me is the almost constant "slight" changes. For me, it was the soda. Yes, may seem silly; however, I'm allergic to a lot of things and hate Pepsi with a passion. So, I always have my small supply of Coke and add some Rum. I may have 2 a day like that? OK, I figured I'd switch to just Martinis. Now, the 2 types I will drink are priced out of UBP.

While it's just a few dollars (and I have plenty of OBC to cover), it's just tiring. Maybe it's because I'm done with paying 200% of fare (I'm solo) to be in the Haven, and then get a chit for $2 or $3 for the few drinks I'll have. (And, in the Haven they have changed the menu even.)

So, NCL has always been a wonderful product. However, it's time to branch out. I only manage 2 weeks of vacation a year (even though I'm entitled to quite a bit more). I don't want to constantly be uncertain of small changes.

If they slow that down, then I can put them back on my cruise radar.

Edited to add: I should note that I wouldn't have even posted much at all; however, the "soda" thing came after final payment, so I had no option but to keep the cruise. I seriously would have cancelled and just found a replacement or spent it on the beach in Miami at this point.

Happy Cruising!

Re: the Haven menu. Our last three Getaway cruises, the most recent being November , lobster was NOT an option on the menu except on seafood night. I was shocked when the new menu came out and had whole, allegedly Maine lobsters. It would have been a nice treat, but it is gone now. Lobster prices are high right now at the commercial level ( cousin is a lobsterman).

It isn't as though the Haven always offered whole lobsters or even the tails. It was a new offering and went away before I even tried it. It is a non- issue.

I will say that the Haven prices are too high, but to take the vacation we want I had to grin and bear it. It won't affect my cruise enjoyment at all. At least it won't if I can stay away from reading upsell threads !😜

Having paid zero for the UBP and Zero service charge in the Haven, if for some reason I can't find a drink

I like under 15 bucks, I'll drop the 2 extra dollars.

Royal Caribbean HAS priced us out of their suites. Even the older, small ships like Grandeur have insane suite prices without the drinks ( except a few hours in the concierge lounge) , the meals, etc.

This isn't a criticism of your post at all- but the Haven lobster was only around a short while, they have added rack of lamb. I'm happy with that!

The single supplement must truly stink. Sorry you have to pay double!

Enjoy your cruise. We are going to check out MSC if we get a chance to cruise before college tuitions change our life- our next cruise is a special occasion and I went all out.

And your flamingo is the best avi on cruise critic

😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

absolutely point it out and continue to do so until you get satisfaction but do it on the ship. The problem I have is when people come back and say from the minute i stepped on the ship everything was horrible, all food was inedible, staff were all rude etc. Come on really this did not happen.

Whenever i read a review if it is all negative I disregard it, it is virtually impossible to have a 100% negative experience.

It has to be presented as 100%!negative or the poster cannot rationalize removing the dsc.

it's one thing for posters to point out flaws with a product. It's another to obsessively do it on a daily basis when it gets to a point where you wonder if certain posters actually have mental health issues or the are paid shills for other lines.

I'm all for constructive dialogue but there are certain posters who are just ruining an otherwise enjoyable forum.

times a million!!!

We've cruised multiple other lines in the past. All these small changes have made us consider another line again. They just all add up to really change the experience. It's completely personal. If it weren't for CAS giving us the cabins, we would have been elsewhere a few changes back. We're just not sure we're willing to start over again building a relationship with another players club at this point.

Edited by CruisinHarvey

Re: the Haven menu. Our last three Getaway cruises, the most recent being November , lobster was NOT an option on the menu except on seafood night. I was shocked when the new menu came out and had whole, allegedly Maine lobsters. It would have been a nice treat, but it is gone now. Lobster prices are high right now at the commercial level ( cousin is a lobsterman).

It isn't as though the Haven always offered whole lobsters or even the tails. It was a new offering and went away before I even tried it. It is a non- issue.

I will say that the Haven prices are too high, but to take the vacation we want I had to grin and bear it. It won't affect my cruise enjoyment at all. At least it won't if I can stay away from reading upsell threads !😜

Having paid zero for the UBP and Zero service charge in the Haven, if for some reason I can't find a drink

I like under 15 bucks, I'll drop the 2 extra dollars.

Royal Caribbean HAS priced us out of their suites. Even the older, small ships like Grandeur have insane suite prices without the drinks ( except a few hours in the concierge lounge) , the meals, etc.

This isn't a criticism of your post at all- but the Haven lobster was only around a short while, they have added rack of lamb. I'm happy with that!

The single supplement must truly stink. Sorry you have to pay double!

Enjoy your cruise. We are going to check out MSC if we get a chance to cruise before college tuitions change our life- our next cruise is a special occasion and I went all out.

And your flamingo is the best avi on cruise critic

😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Thanks re: the avi. :D

I hear you on the upsells...smh I try to not look since I've never been offered one even after all these full-priced sailings.

I guess I shouldn't have pointed to "lobster" - but, even the shrimp cocktail at lunch. It's just "little" things. Some bug me, some don't. Actually, most don't even impact me at all. I think it's more the concept that it just seems almost neverending right now. May sound odd, but had they done most of the changes in one shot - I'd probably have been pretty fine with the concept. *shrugs* That's just me.

RCCL's pricing can be high - but, actually, I could have gone cheaper on the same week next year with more perks in the highest available suite. I chose the ships I did since I wanted the new Star Class. So, overall, it's about the same for me. It's my choice to pay the 200% no matter where I go. I got used to the suites when DH was alive and now can't go "back". :eek: I do nothing but work all year and help my Mom, I don't even go to the movies. So, for me, it's my time to "splurge" and I don't think about spending. It's the price I pay for having a bit of fun for myself.

I just will wait out NCL's current spate of "small" things. Eventually, it will slow down/steady and then I'll put them back on the radar of choices.

(I did check MSC as well. I wasn't quite as awed for the exact timeframes I wanted; however, I will continue to check them out as well.)

Happy Cruising! :)

I think some become so negative because they take the changes that NCL has done so personally and then no matter what NCL does, it is wrong and they don't seem to realize that it is just business and if they look at other companies, they are doing the same things. I think some of the changes are positives for me, some I don't care one way or another and some I don't care for, but I can't live my life only concentrating on the things I don't like, I would rather concentrate on the positives other than the negatives.

Complaints happen on every cruise line's forums. Here is a post I saw on Carnival's forum: Seems like carnival is always pinching pennies, cutting cost and trying to save money some where. But prices do not reflect as they continue to increase. I think the different, at least for me, is that there are some on here that personally attack NCL personnel calling them vile names and even attacking their appearance. Is this necessary? There is a way to get your complaint across without being uncivil and this is one of the things I see on the NCL forum, but not the others.

I think folks don't seem to understand is that everyone is voicing their opinions and everyone's opinions are different and no matter how much one thinks, their opinion is just that an opinion, it is not facts. People are so different; what is positive for one is a negative for another and there is never going to be anything that all are in 100% agreement on, but folks can still have discussions in a civil way, that is if they want to.

Edited by NLH Arizona

because thats all people do nowadays is complain and whine.... especially on cruise critic. Its the modern culutural norm... Me, Me, Me everything is a dramatic tragedy and was dont to slight me.

Look at the thread and outrage about the Pearl having to stay a day in Seattle for repairs. I mean, what else do you want NCL to do? They have to repair the ship? What do you want? a free compensation flight on a rocket to the moon in its place?

Oh and the crying about bottled water.... OH MY GOD. Like listening to 9 year olds who were just told no to ice cream.

Acknowledging everyone on here is an adult..... the majority of people here need tyo Grow up.

This is a perfect example of why there is so much "negativity."

The complaints about the Jewel stopped once NCL did what their contract obligated them to do when a mechanical issue impacts a trip. It was NCL's ridiculous initial position that caused the issue.

The NCL-splaining that goes on only around here serves only to magnify the complaints. Life tip folks: telling people who are annoyed about something that they are being childish or stupid = throwing gas on a fire.

Better to let the outrage burn itself out than fan the flames. The now-infamous water thread would have been a lot shorter if those who weren't bothered by the policy change could have resisted the urge to respond.

Edited by jm485

I think some become so negative because they take the changes that NCL has done so personally and then no matter what NCL does, it is wrong and they don't seem to realize that it is just business . . .

Sorry, but this line made me chuckle. I feel so personally offended that NCL is no longer allowing water to be carried on the ships. I KNOW they did that just to get on MY nerves. But THEN, I realized it was a business move, which completely justifies it. Nothing soothes me more than to know a crappy policy was enforced just to make more money. Thanks for making me feel better!

Come on, folks, get real. I've said it before, and I'll say it 100 more times if need be-- we are talking about the darn NCL message boards! Where else would people go to gripe about these things? Nobody's life is ruined by the NCL policies, they are simply venting about it on a message board designed for such things. This is the time AND place for the "negativity". If you don't like it, don't read it, and definitely don't be so insecure as to let it ruin your own trip.

It really does seem to depend on the value to the individual of the promos.

If you take the Jade, as it makes a good direct comparison, the same cabin cost us about 15% more per day for 2017 than for 2014. However, when you take into account the promos, 2017 becomes better value by about 5%, some of which is lost by increased onboard fees, but the cruise overall is still cheaper.

The changes on NCL and changes on other lines bringing them closer to NCL in regards to Freestyle dining have made me start looking elsewhere. For us, the beverage plan isn't worth ~$100 for a week - we don't drink much. (In the US, we have to pay the gratuities on the promos, so the "free" beverage and dining plan actually add to the fare).

I use a large US wholesale club travel agency and you can put in for an itinerary and see the fares, easily comparing the fares among Celebrity, HAL, NCL, Princess and RCL. The fares on NCL are never the lowest of the group, and are often $500 to $600 higher than two or three of the others. That wasn't the case in the past.

If we had bar bills that high the included promos would make the higher cost worth it. The thing is, those quoted prices do not include the extra ~$100 the beverage promo costs.

Sorry, but this line made me chuckle. I feel so personally offended that NCL is no longer allowing water to be carried on the ships. I KNOW they did that just to get on MY nerves. But THEN, I realized it was a business move, which completely justifies it. Nothing soothes me more than to know a crappy policy was enforced just to make more money. Thanks for making me feel better!

Come on, folks, get real. I've said it before, and I'll say it 100 more times if need be-- we are talking about the darn NCL message boards! Where else would people go to gripe about these things? Nobody's life is ruined by the NCL policies, they are simply venting about it on a message board designed for such things. This is the time AND place for the "negativity". If you don't like it, don't read it, and definitely don't be so insecure as to let it ruin your own trip.

Oh come on, have you read some of the posts on here, their lives seems to be ruined if they don't get their way on NCL. Edited by NLH Arizona

Oh come on, have you read some of the posts on here, their lives seems to be ruined if they don't get their way on NCL.

I think you (and others) take it out of context. We are on an NCL message board, so if someone is frustrated about something it will appear to be exaggerated and with 100% gusto. I doubt very much these people are casually mentioning NCL's shortcomings to the person next to them in the Starbucks line. For me, if I have a problem, I come on here and post (vent) and then move on with my day. Same goes if I am excited about something in particular. Just seems like NCL has given more reasons to do the former as of late.

Oh come on, have you read some of the posts on here, their lives seems to be ruined if they don't get their way on NCL.

Let me describe a scenario to those of you who are convinced that NCL can do no wrong.

Let's say I buy a car with all the accessories I want and must pay for it three months before it is delivered.

When the car arrives, it has maybe half of the things I paid for, and the dealer says they will not adjust the price nor will they furnish the items I purchased.

Do you think I am wrong to complain and expect to receive what I bought ???

That is the impression some of you are leaving on these boards, and you are certainly wrong to criticize those who expect to receive justification.

because thats all people do nowadays is complain and whine.... especially on cruise critic. Its the modern culutural norm... Me, Me, Me everything is a dramatic tragedy and was dont to slight me.

Look at the thread and outrage about the Pearl having to stay a day in Seattle for repairs. I mean, what else do you want NCL to do? They have to repair the ship? What do you want? a free compensation flight on a rocket to the moon in its place?

Oh and the crying about bottled water.... OH MY GOD. Like listening to 9 year olds who were just told no to ice cream.

Acknowledging everyone on here is an adult..... the majority of people here need tyo Grow up.

I think it's reasonable for people to expect to receive what they purchased. If a company is unable to deliver the product they sold then they should give a refund or allow free cancellation of the order. NCL is not our child or our employee. We have no responsibility to supply paid time off or sick leave.

I think you (and others) take it out of context. We are on an NCL message board, so if someone is frustrated about something it will appear to be exaggerated and with 100% gusto. I doubt very much these people are casually mentioning NCL's shortcomings to the person next to them in the Starbucks line. For me, if I have a problem, I come on here and post (vent) and then move on with my day. Same goes if I am excited about something in particular. Just seems like NCL has given more reasons to do the former as of late.
I don't think it is all the posters that take it so personally, just some of them. It is the ones who have to resort to the incivility as to attack an employee of NCL or attack those that disagree with them, instead of just voicing their displeasure and I would bet those are the ones who stand in line at Starbucks and complain to anyone who will listen.

I don't think it is all the posters that take it so personally, just some of them. It is the ones who have to resort to the incivility as to attack an employee of NCL or attack those that disagree with them, instead of just voicing their displeasure and I would bet those are the ones who stand in line at Starbucks and complain to anyone who will listen.

If criticizing the CEO of a company for the decisions he and his staff are making is an attack then so be it.

I agree that the attacks on employees of NCL is just so horribly wrong, on so many levels. I did receive a call, on the first day of the "soda/water thing" ;) from NCL (around 4pm - I was sort of in the first "wave").

I had a super conversation with the gentleman (who, by then, had gotten an earful). He offered to even put a supervisor on with us. I told them that I, personally, was sorry that they were the "front lines" to hear complaints over and over - no matter what the issue was.

No need for it to get uncivil. I actually had them laughing at times. I still got my point across, but I didn't want them ever to think that I was just an insensitive moron either.

We can all discuss, and make opinions known, in ways that are constructive. A corporation may, or may not, change their rules (sometimes they do - remember "New Coke" ;) ).

Personally, I come on CC to get the latest word (before boarding as I would be mighty ticked to have found some of this *at* boarding).

This way, I've vented and then can cruise with my new, adjusted, expectations.

I do tire of the negativity. I don't mind if someone has a problem and they complain about it, but it's when they go on and on and on and post the same thing on threads that are only remotely related to the change they have a problem with.

The posting of lists of every little change NCL has made is what makes me chuckle. I cannot believe that every single change impacts so many individuals. I look at the lists, and 99% of what's on them I don't even think about and have absolutely no impact on my enjoyment of a cruise. The recent water and soda policy impacts me slightly. I usually pick up a six-pack of diet root beer or diet Coke before I board. But, I don't care enough to complain about it. It's hard to imagine that some can't drink a different brand for a week or that drinking a different brand will absolutely ruin their vacations. I'm sure there's something they could change that would make me look elsewhere--like if they shut down all the specialty restaurants, that would be a huge disappointment for me.

I do understand that some are disappointed by some of the recent changes and I sympathize to a point. But the fixations on some of them can be over the top.

JMHO.

If criticizing the CEO of a company for the decisions he and his staff are making is an attack then so be it.
Criticizing and saying someone is making bad decisions, etc. is one thing, attacking and calling them names or making rude remarks about their appearance is another. Edited by NLH Arizona

This is a perfect example of why there is so much "negativity."

The complaints about the Jewel stopped once NCL did what their contract obligated them to do when a mechanical issue impacts a trip. It was NCL's ridiculous initial position that caused the issue.

The NCL-splaining that goes on only around here serves only to magnify the complaints. Life tip folks: telling people who are annoyed about something that they are being childish or stupid = throwing gas on a fire.

Better to let the outrage burn itself out than fan the flames. The now-infamous water thread would have been a lot shorter if those who weren't bothered by the policy change could have resisted the urge to respond.

I disagree..... Its like pulling up a lounge chair next to the customer service desk on board around here lately. People are losing thier minds over the mostly petty and trival stuff.

And in terms of the "I paid for a product and should receive it crowd" Its a ship with a crew and many passengers. Sometimes, it doesn't go as planned. Get over it.

I said it before and I will say it again.... the cruise industry has seen massive growth in the last 15 years. The honest answer they don't care about your petty complaints or if you offended its not as "awesome" as you think it use to be. Thier growth out performs the heavy baggage / constant complaining crowd that ends up stop going.... which means its a gain for them in the long run anyway.

Good ridden. So tired of complainers onboard.....

I do tire of the negativity. I don't mind if someone has a problem and they complain about it, but it's when they go on and on and on and post the same thing on threads that are only remotely related to the change they have a problem with.

The posting of lists of every little change NCL has made is what makes me chuckle. I cannot believe that every single change impacts so many individuals. I look at the lists, and 99% of what's on them I don't even think about and have absolutely no impact on my enjoyment of a cruise. The recent water and soda policy impacts me slightly. I usually pick up a six-pack of diet root beer or diet Coke before I board. But, I don't care enough to complain about it. It's hard to imagine that some can't drink a different brand for a week or that drinking a different brand will absolutely ruin their vacations. I'm sure there's something they could change that would make me look elsewhere--like if they shut down all the specialty restaurants, that would be a huge disappointment for me.

I do understand that some are disappointed by some of the recent changes and I sympathize to a point. But the fixations on some of them can be over the top.

JMHO.

Great post.

No cruise-line is perfect. No cruise-line has ever been perfect. No cruise-line will ever be perfect.

NCL wasn't perfect before. It isn't perfect after recent changes. It won't be perfect after future changes.

I have and will have a good time on every cruise that I have taken or will take. Until that changes to the point that I don't want to cruise, I will continue to cruise. Since I'm not loyal to any cruise-line, I'm free to continue to look around at what other lines have to offer.

NCL's way of making changes bothers me more than the actual change. If people can decide to cruise months or years in advance (and NCL will gladly hold your deposit for the same time), NCL should be willing to announce changes in advance.

If (for example) Escape was going to be smoke-free in 2019 (nobody is booked, yet) and they announced it today, the outrage wouldn't be anywhere near the outrage if they announced the same thing in November 2018 to go into effect for January 2019.

Edited by Two Wheels Only

No cruise-line is perfect. No cruise-line has ever been perfect. No cruise-line will ever be perfect.

NCL wasn't perfect before. It isn't perfect after recent changes. It won't be perfect after future changes.

I have and will have a good time on every cruise that I have taken or will take. Until that changes to the point that I don't want to cruise, I will continue to cruise. Since I'm not loyal to any cruise-line, I'm free to continue to look around at what other lines have to offer.

NCL's way of making changes bothers me more than the actual change. If people can decide to cruise months or years in advance (and NCL will gladly hold your deposit for the same time), NCL should be willing to announce changes in advance.

If (for example) Escape was going to be smoke-free in 2019 (nobody is booked, yet) and they announced it today, the outrage wouldn't be anywhere near the outrage if they announced the same thing in November 2018 to go in effect for January 2019.

This is a valid point, there is no need to institute changes immediately especially within 90 day windows. I will give you that. But, question still remains, why are people getting so upset over things like cases of water? If buying water onboard hurts your wallet or you dont like it.... you shouldnt go. Its petty stuff to worked up over.

It's telling how things have changed over the last few years.

Before we sailed on the Epic we were reading negative reviews on the Fbook site.

The NCL cheer leaders would come on and have a go at the poster, closely

followed by the NCL mod who would ask the cheer leaders not to shout down

the negative reviews as they wanted to know where they were going wrong

and if practicable resolve the issue.

Now if people post negative material NCL's answer is generally delete the post.

No cruise line is perfect and good companies need constructive negative feed

back to improve

Negative venting does not bother me on these boards as I hope NCL would pay attention