Why so much negativity?

babs135

I gave the link to the FTC, which does prosecute companies for false advertising and "bait and switch" tactics as a crime. Not a civil action, a crime. It is not "my opinion" that the FTC does indeed prosecute those crimes ... it is a fact whether I am a "presiding judge" or a simple cruisin' man.

In case you think the fine upstanding prosecutors at the FTC just simply missed the "bait and switch" tactics of a certain Miami-based cruise line company, here is another link for you: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#&panel1-1

You can complain about any company that you feel is engaging in false advertising or "bait and switch". NCL has not been accused of doing either except in the minds of its customers.

It is not true to say that an individual has to sue to stop criminal actions by a company. The FTC is there to bring the hammer down on them, and believe me, dealing with the FTC is not a very pleasant experience.

personally, i didn't know this existed. i will file my complaint as soon as I get home from work today. thank you.

you're assuming the ftc has already looked into this and found no evidence of wrong doing. even with ftc, someone has to file a complaint first.

Not true, of course. A state attorneys general can initiate an action, or the FTC itself can. Complaints will also trigger an action.

The only action against NCL I can find is this one about ADA violations in 2001: https://www.ada.gov/briefs/norweg3br.pdf

So, it's not like NCL is not on their radar.

I look forward to the excitement from Washington DC when all the CC complaints come in and the FTC realizes it has been chasing little bitty car dealers instead of the real perpetrators of horrible consumer crimes: NCL.

Not true, of course. A state attorneys general can initiate an action, or the FTC itself can. Complaints will also trigger an action.

The only action against NCL I can find is this one about ADA violations in 2001: https://www.ada.gov/briefs/norweg3br.pdf

I look forward to the excitement from Washington DC when all the CC complaints come in and the FTC realizes it has been chasing little bitty car dealers instead of the real perpetrators of horrible consumer crimes: NCL.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter- NCL is leaving some of it's customers feeling like they've been had and that's not a good feeling to give your customers.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter- NCL is leaving some of it's customers feeling like they've been had and that's not a good feeling to give your customers.
Well, we differ on this. If someone is going to accuse a company of bait and switch which is illegal, they should have the courage to stand by their convictions and file a claim and find out if they are correct or not and if they aren't willing to file a claim maybe they should use other terminology that doesn't imply that the company is doing something illegal; like, I think what they are doing sucks or I think what they are doing is not fair.

I'm with you on this.

There are lot of things that are "legal" but not "right" and I'm not just referring to cruiselines.

I don't think NCL has done anything illegal by reserving their right to raise the price of drinks. Was it a steep increase? absolutely.

But there have been no changes to the T&C so I don't see how they've done anything illegal.

Same thing with changing uptown grill to a margaritaville. I'm sure somewhere in the contract language we've all signed, it does give them the right to make changes to dining venues and pricing, etc.

But at the end of the day, the fact that they have customers debating legality and contracts and whatnot isnt really great business.

I don't feel like I would want to do business with NCL again if they continue to operate the way they do, but I don't think they've done anything illegal. If they have, then well done to whoever figures out what they've done and brings it to the right peoples attention.

Edited by BrandoMan13

Well, we differ on this. If someone is going to accuse a company of bait and switch which is illegal, they should have the courage to stand by their convictions and file a claim and find out if they are correct or not and if they aren't willing to file a claim maybe they should use other terminology that doesn't imply that the company is doing something illegal; like, I think what they are doing sucks or I think what they are doing is not fair.

People use hyperbole all of the time and this forum isn't a court of law. They are expressing how they feel and there is no requirement that if they use a certain term that a legal claim has to follow. You know that NCL isn't doing anything wrong so it shouldn't matter to you at all what terms are used.

Yes it's ridiculous how many people will bash NCL. If you have a negative or positive experience, by all means let's hear it. However the same people(some in this thread) will stick around and complain about NCL without stop. I don't understand how someone has that kind of time. I also would hate to be around a person that can only say negative things. Being a positive person is SO much better than being negative all the time.

Also, this is not unique to NCL. It happens to all the major cruise line on here.

Yes it's ridiculous how many people will bash NCL. If you have a negative or positive experience, by all means let's hear it. However the same people(some in this thread) will stick around and complain about NCL without stop. I don't understand how someone has that kind of time. I also would hate to be around a person that can only say negative things. Being a positive person is SO much better than being negative all the time.

Also, this is not unique to NCL. It happens to all the major cruise line on here.

Like you, I tend to be positive, but I will still criticize NCL when they deserve it. Still, I look at the bottom line, what am I getting for what dollars. Competition is important. NCL is in the mix. Right now I have an NCL cruise coming up, one Celebrity cruise booked for next year and two on Royal Caribbean for 2018.

a person absolutely can change their mind and attitude, as long as the other person, or company, is willing to try as well. just as in marriage, it's not a one way street and ncl hasn't figured that out yet. so to use your analogy, ncl.....the wife beating pig....and i are getting divorced after this last cruise and as in most failed marriages, at least one person is happier after the divorce and in this case, it will be me. i'll be heading back to my first love, carnival.

then again, what i had with ncl was just a fling anyway. it was never true love. :D

I love this analogy too!

NCL and I met in 2002. We started off slow but soon became infatuated with each other. We dated through the Colin Veitch years and we were hitched during the Kevin Sheehan era. We experienced many firsts together and we introduced our friends to each other. We gave each other so much and had a feeling we would grow old together. Then, this FDR guy came along and something changed, and not for the better. We started to fight and drift apart. Earlier this year, I cheated on her for the first time in 29 cruises. Celebrity is her name and I think I kind of like her. She treats me better than the other, currently. Me and NCL have a last date scheduled in a couple months. But frankly, I do not know what she could say or do to reconcile things between us. I'm afraid and a little saddened to think that after our next get together, the divorce will be final.

People use hyperbole all of the time and this forum isn't a court of law. They are expressing how they feel and there is no requirement that if they use a certain term that a legal claim has to follow. You know that NCL isn't doing anything wrong so it shouldn't matter to you at all what terms are used.

Yeah, I only jumped in because the poster I was replying to claimed that you had to sue in civil court to stop "bait and switch". It is an actual crime, and the Feds come after you. I haven't seen anything that NCL has done that fits the legal definition of breaking the law against "bait and switch". I have seen them act like complete baboons when it comes to customer service and no longer trust them ... which is why we haven't booked another cruise with them.

So I'm no cheerleader, and I'm fine with hyperbole, and even understand why people feel they have been "baited and switched". But wild inaccuracies stated as fact are not OK.

no worries from me. as i posted in another thread, i was freed from the shackles of having to go on my upcoming ncl cruise so it's a non-issue to me now. doesn't change the fact that common sense states that ncl is using bait and switch tactics but you can believe what you want. for me, i am free of the ncl stupidity and am happy once again.

I love this analogy too!

NCL and I met in 2002. We started off slow but soon became infatuated with each other. We dated through the Colin Veitch years and we were hitched during the Kevin Sheehan era. We experienced many firsts together and we introduced our friends to each other. We gave each other so much and had a feeling we would grow old together. Then, this FDR guy came along and something changed, and not for the better. We started to fight and drift apart. Earlier this year, I cheated on her for the first time in 29 cruises. Celebrity is her name and I think I kind of like her. She treats me better than the other, currently. Me and NCL have a last date scheduled in a couple months. But frankly, I do not know what she could say or do to reconcile things between us. I'm afraid and a little saddened to think that after our next get together, the divorce will be final.

sorry to hear of your upcoming divorce, they are always sad. but i hope your new girl brings that happiness back to your life that has been missing for a while. :)

Yeah, I only jumped in because the poster I was replying to claimed that you had to sue in civil court to stop "bait and switch". It is an actual crime, and the Feds come after you. I haven't seen anything that NCL has done that fits the legal definition of breaking the law against "bait and switch". I have seen them act like complete baboons when it comes to customer service and no longer trust them ... which is why we haven't booked another cruise with them.

So I'm no cheerleader, and I'm fine with hyperbole, and even understand why people feel they have been "baited and switched". But wild inaccuracies stated as fact are not OK.

i have never said anything about a civil court. i said one needed to hire a lawyer to initiate action. never stated whether it was a civil or criminal action.

It absolutely does not happen to this extent on the other lines.

i have never said anything about a civil court. i said one needed to hire a lawyer to initiate action. never stated whether it was a civil or criminal action.

Ah, I get where you are coming from. You have no idea how the legal system works here. I apologize for assuming you did (I keep forgetting that many here are not from the US and may not know how our laws work).

In the American legal system actions by individuals can only bring civil suits. They cannot "hire a lawyer" to bring a criminal suit. Only a governmental entity can file criminal charges. You can encourage them to file criminal charges, but you don't need a lawyer to do that. In fact, they wouldn't talk to your lawyer. All you have to do is let them know of the crime, such as by issuing the complaint at the link I provided and, as the Brits say, Bob's your uncle.

Ah, I get where you are coming from. You have no idea how the legal system works here. I apologize for assuming you did (I keep forgetting that many here are not from the US and may not know how our laws work).

In the American legal system actions by individuals can only bring civil suits. They cannot "hire a lawyer" to bring a criminal suit. Only a governmental entity can file criminal charges. You can encourage them to file criminal charges, but you don't need a lawyer to do that. In fact, they wouldn't talk to your lawyer. All you have to do is let them know of the crime, such as by issuing the complaint at the link I provided and, as the Brits say, Bob's your uncle.

fshagan,

What you say is true, although a private citizen can make a complaint for criminal charges, but the decision to proceed is with a government entity.

Each cruise is a personal experience. I read all the reviews I see on a ship I schedule then see for myself. We have seen a few changes that we are not thrilled with no coke in Oct. but we know this and will not have an unexpected surprise as for water never brought our own as the ships water is fine and not an issue to purchase a bottle to take on shore if needed. With what is paid out for vacation a bottle of water is a drop in the bucket. Just hope we get the same wonderful service in Oct. as it will be our kids first time in a suite and want this family trip to be special.

We know NCL has followed suit with other lines but will still travel with them because.

1. We make our own vacation (good or bad). We enjoy just being on vacation.

2. NCL is a home port for us. All trips from the northeast are easy as no flying is involved.

3. Crew on each trip has been great (hope I didn't jinx us).

My thoughts are just this. Read everything but decide for yourself.

Every day is a gift enjoy it.

I love this analogy too!

Fortunately NCL is hot and she is fun, so there are other suitors lined up to take your worn out place. She will have no problems trading you in for a newer model that will also happily spend more money on her.

Edited by MrMan

Fortunately NCL is hot and she is fun, so there are other suitors lined up to take your worn out place. She will have no problems trading you in for a newer model that will also happily spend more money on her.

The stock market disagrees.

Maybe, maybe not. There is a thread going right now about someone that is waiting for price drops inside final payment and there are plenty of cabins left and the poster mentioned that this is so for the sailings that are only a week or two away.

Maybe, maybe not. There is a thread going right now about someone that is waiting for price drops inside final payment and there are plenty of cabins left and the poster mentioned that this is so for the sailings that are only a week or two away.

I know there are a lot of empty suites in the Haven for my next cruise (including Aft ones - and they are usually rare).

I guess, eventually, there will be upsells at a heck of a discount. :mad:

So, I'm thinking that maybe, just maybe, there isn't a mob of people who are just super-anxious to start courting NCL. ;) :D

JMHO of course. :)