Why so much negativity?

babs135

My absolute favorite posts on here are those that are never going to cruise NCL again except for...wait for it...the 3 cruises they have already booked and don't want to cancel for some such nonsense. Yeah, that's showing NCL!

People may also not be aware that you can eBay future cruise certificates. But generally I agree, people shouldn't make empty threats.

I can understand folks getting upset at the plethora of changes NCL has been implementing in such a short period of time. I think, as others have stated on this thread, that NCL really needs a better business plan (the huge price increase on premium drinks was a bit shocking). Guess they don't subscribe to Mary Poppins "A spoonful of sugar...."

That being said, I've seen negative changes in all the cruise lines I've sailed (albeit a bit slower than NCL changes recently). Everyone has to make their cruise choices on what matters most to them. What keeps me coming back to NCL is their embrace of the solo cruiser. When they start pricing me out of their solo cabins, I guess I'll look elsewhere.

Yes, the solo setup is one of the few reasons NCL has their hooks into me to the extent they do. But my 2016 studio on GA cost $350 more than my 2015 (same month), so ...

I know RCI is trying out the studio thing, but that entire line has zero appeal for me. Just seems really middle of the road and charmless and Starbucks-y. (Of course NCL is now rocketing down that path with their Margaritaville co-branding). I guess I may give it a try someday regardless. (Princess is next on the agenda, in October, but I won't be solo for that.)

Edited by AdoraBelle

Yes, the solo setup is one of the few reasons NCL has their hooks into me to the extent they do. But my 2016 studio on GA cost $350 more than my 2015 (same month), so ...

I know RCI is trying out the studio thing, but that entire line has zero appeal for me. Just seems really middle of the road and charmless and Starbucks-y. (Of course NCL is now rocketing down that path with their Margaritaville co-branding). I guess I may give it a try someday regardless. (Princess is next on the agenda, in October, but I won't be solo for that.)

One thing about Royal Caribbean is that they have Super Studio Cabins that have balconies.

One thing about Royal Caribbean is that they have Super Studio Cabins that have balconies.

Yes, and I've teetered a bit on the edge with trying out Anthem, but 1) I'm becoming slightly superstitious about that ship (storms and whatnot), 2) I don't know, I was just reading about the buffet on Anthem being way too small (apparently they have to make announcements telling people to leave tables when they're done), 3) like I said, RC has just never appealed, have seen too many pics that look like the upscale mall half a mile from my house.

I do covet their internet connectivity though.

for a company to be stopped from doing something illegal someone has to hire a lawyer and go after them. that's why many times companies do illegal things because they feel they can get away with the illegal practice, or at least long enough to make a great profit before someone forces them to stop.

No, that's not correct. The FTC routinely goes after firms that employ "bait and switch" techniques. You are confusing civil claims with criminal claims. "Bait and switch" is indeed illegal and routinely prosecuted. NCL hasn't been prosecuted because they do not use "bait and switch" tactics as described by law. (They do, however, piss off their customers and the customers accuse them of a crime they did not commit).

The FTC today announced Operation Rush Control, an ongoing 32-partner law enforcement sweep against deceptive auto dealer practices, including both civil and criminal actions. To date, 252 cases have been brought in the U.S. and Canada, with six new FTC cases, including more than $2.6 million in monetary judgments. Among the practices being targeted in Operation Rush Control are deceptive dealer advertising (especially “bait and switch” dealer advertising and fine-print ad disclaimers), automotive loan application fraud, odometer fraud, deceptive add-on fees, and deceptive marketing of car title loans. Jessica Rich, head of the FTC’s Consumer Affairs Division, indicated the FTC would be “on the lookout” for similar cases.

Source: http://blog.dealertrack.com/blog/2015/3/26/ftc-launches-new-sweep-targeting-deceptive-dealer-practices

Edited by fshagan

My absolute favorite posts on here are those that are never going to cruise NCL again except for...wait for it...the 3 cruises they have already booked and don't want to cancel for some such nonsense. Yeah, that's showing NCL!
My best was on one of the threads with differing opinions and the poster said "I never intend to cruise on NCL, but...."

No, that's not correct. The FTC routinely goes after firms that employ "bait and switch" techniques. You are confusing civil claims with criminal claims. "Bait and switch" is indeed illegal and routinely prosecuted. NCL hasn't been prosecuted because they do not use "bait and switch" tactics as described by law. (They do, however, piss off their customers and the customers accuse them of a crime they did not commit).

Source: http://blog.dealertrack.com/blog/2015/3/26/ftc-launches-new-sweep-targeting-deceptive-dealer-practices

The FTC today announced Operation Rush Control, an ongoing 32-partner law enforcement sweep against deceptive auto dealer practices, including both civil and criminal actions. To date, 252 cases have been brought in the U.S. and Canada, with six new FTC cases, including more than $2.6 million in monetary judgments. Among the practices being targeted in Operation Rush Control are deceptive dealer advertising (especially “bait and switch” dealer advertising and fine-print ad disclaimers), automotive loan application fraud, odometer fraud, deceptive add-on fees, and deceptive marketing of car title loans. Jessica Rich, head of the FTC’s Consumer Affairs Division, indicated the FTC would be “on the lookout” for similar cases.

Wow !! The items mentioned in the above article sound a lot like the "Free at sea" ads by NCL. Especially the fine print and deceptive add-on fees.

Why so much negativity? Here's why.

There are some people who have decided they can no longer have fun on an NCL cruise. That's fine. But some of those people don't want to see others having fun. Maybe jealousy? Who knows. Misery loves company. "If I can't have fun, no one should."

All I know is that I am sick of people telling me I'm wrong when I have a blast on a cruise. It's the craziest thing, but obviously psych exams aren't a requirement for posting on a message board.

All I know is that I am sick of people telling me I'm wrong when I have a blast on a cruise. It's the craziest thing, but obviously psych exams aren't a requirement for posting on a message board.

But you obviously get confused easily.

Only a short while ago you were telling us that you got into a show without a reservation, but we all know that can't have been true, because someone from the Internet who wasn't there told us so.

:)

But you obviously get confused easily.

Only a short while ago you were telling us that you got into a show without a reservation, but we all know that can't have been true, because someone from the Internet who wasn't there told us so.

:)

LMAO! Shouldn't you be enjoying your cruise and not harassing innocent, sweet CC posters like myself? :D

By the way, should you happen to get in ANYWHERE without a reservation, don't post it here. Someone will tell you that you didn't.

LMAO! Shouldn't you be enjoying your cruise and not harassing innocent, sweet CC posters like myself? :D

I was queueing up for a boat ride at Tivoli so was just checking the Internet.

I sure hope the captain steers the ship better tomorrow than our son just did that boat. :)

There are some people who have decided they can no longer have fun on an NCL cruise. That's fine. But some of those people don't want to see others having fun. Maybe jealousy? Who knows. Misery loves company. "If I can't have fun, no one should."

I don''t know how you could possibly have fun on a cruise if I didn't have fun on a different ship on a different itinerary. LOL. Seriously, how could I not have fun on a cruise?!

Painting with a broad brush doesn't really benefit either 'side' or encourage productive conversations.

I would never tell anyone that they simply imagined having a good time. But as someone who places value on being an informed consumer, I am going to continue calling cruiselines out on their BS.

That doesn't mean I need a psych exam.

Painting with a broad brush doesn't really benefit either 'side' or encourage productive conversations.

I would never tell anyone that they simply imagined having a good time. But as someone who places value on being an informed consumer, I am going to continue calling cruiselines out on their BS.

That doesn't mean I need a psych exam.

And that's not why I said some people need psych exams, is it? Defensive much? Hmmm....

The sense of entitlement that many of the users on here just astounds me. If you want to spend your whole vacation complaining about what you're not getting just stay home.

People shouldn't feel entitled to receive what they paid for? Whether you agree with them or not that is what many complaints boil down to. In many cases I can certainly see their point, even if whatever the issue is wouldn't be an issue for me.

soooooo......you must be rich enough to throw away a couple of thousand dollars by cancelling a cruise after final payment date and not batting an eye at it. congrats if you have enough wealth to not miss that money but most of those around you can do nothing but suck it up and learn for the future to spend our hard earned cash elsewhere.

Edited by Computer Nerd

The sense of entitlement that many of the users on here just astounds me. If you want to spend your whole vacation complaining about what you're not getting just stay home.

Again, with the broad brush.

Yes, we've all read horror stories of entitled wackos on cruises. I've seen them myself, screaming at the staff and pushing into elevators. I don't deny those people exist.

But being analytical or even critical about how a company does business--when you are giving them thousands of dollars--is simply being a smart consumer.

I understand that I should be grateful that I'm in a position to cruise at all, and I'm cognizant of that fact. But I don't owe that gratitude to the billion-dollar cruise line.

unless you are a judge in the presiding district, this is simply your opinion, not fact. only the court system can decide whether what ncl does is legal or illegal and then, only once someone get's ncl into court.

i hold a different opinion than yours.

Edited by Computer Nerd

Again, with the broad brush.

Yes, we've all read horror stories of entitled wackos on cruises. I've seen them myself, screaming at the staff and pushing into elevators. I don't deny those people exist.

But being analytical or even critical about how a company does business--when you are giving them thousands of dollars--is simply being a smart consumer.

I understand that I should be grateful that I'm in a position to cruise at all, and I'm cognizant of that fact. But I don't owe that gratitude to the billion-dollar cruise line.

It seems as though each side of an issue uses that broad brush.

One "smart consumer" might feel that they are being taken advantage with regard to an issue or change, but doesn't mean that another "smart consumer" feels the same way and some on here feel just because they feel that something is wrong, everyone should feel the same way or agree with their opinion. Can't folks just agree that we are all different and we each have our own value system on what is right or wrong as far as our individual cruising experiences are concerned.

I'm very grateful that I can cruise like I do, but I don't owe my gratitude to any of the cruise lines I cruise on and if I don't feel a company treats me well and their product holds a value to me, I don't do business with them (thankfully I feel that all three treat me well and offer a valued experience, but there are others that I've cruised on that I will never go back to them), but what is a value to me, can be totally different to someone else.

It seems as though each side of an issue uses that broad brush.

One "smart consumer" might feel that they are being taken advantage with regard to an issue or change, but doesn't mean that another "smart consumer" feels the same way and some on here feel just because they feel that something is wrong, everyone should feel the same way or agree with their opinion. Can't folks just agree that we are all different and we each have our own value system on what is right or wrong as far as our individual cruising experiences are concerned.

I'm very grateful that I can cruise like I do, but I don't owe my gratitude to any of the cruise lines I cruise on and if I don't feel a company treats me well and their product holds a value to me, I don't do business with them (thankfully I feel that all three treat me well and offer a valued experience, but there are others that I've cruised on that I will never go back to them), but what is a value to me, can be totally different to someone else.

I think that we can all agree about that but we must also agree that people on all sides of the issue deserve to voice their opinion and recognize that a contrary opinion doesn't invalidate the other person's opinion.