144 hour =No Chinese Visa

kwar

Hi,

Kindly share the email address for Millennium Documentation Officer - I want to contact him and get confirmation in writing that we do not need Chine visa - we are on Milly for Jan 14, 2017 cruise. Our path is USA- Hong Kong - South Korea - Shanghai for 2 days. Thanks a lot.

And if you get this will you put it on the Roll Call so we all have the info on the Jan. 14th site. I have called Celebrity and they offered nothing. It would be great. We are not getting a visa and we are on for 3 back to backs.

Rita Kwar

Hi,

Kindly share the email address for Millennium Documentation Officer - I want to contact him and get confirmation in writing that we do not need Chine visa - we are on Milly for Jan 14, 2017 cruise. Our path is USA- Hong Kong - South Korea - Shanghai for 2 days. Thanks a lot.

Celebrity is finally aware of this exemption. You just had to show a copy of your air and also your hotel reservation upon boarding. This definitely works for cruises ending in Shanghai. I didn't even have to show my email from the documentation officer. No need to bother him/her again.

Have just received an email today from Celebrity Guest services in UK confirming that Celebrity have confirmed with the Chinese High Commission that, as long as we present full UK passports, when we check in Celebrity Millenium in Tokyo on 16 October we will be able to complete a 144 hour visa exemption form which will allow us to travel onboard and visit Shanghai. The email states that this was introduced on 31st January 2016. It has taken us many phone calls and emails to get this confirmation, and only after insisting on speaking to someone above the level of customer service. I cannot say whether this waiver applies to those outside the UK, but it's worth pursuing with Celebrity.

Could you possibly send a copy of your email or let me have details of who sent it.

After several email exchanges they have suggested I contact the Chinese embassy.

I contacted documentation officer on Celebrity regarding meeting requirements for 144 hours visa free transit in Shanghai and got the answer below. We are flying from NY to Hkg, then sail on Milly and flying back from Shanghai to NY.

Below itinerary meets the requirements for the 144 hours visa free transit. Just bring at least 3 copies of your flight details (one for the ship, one for the Immigration officer and one for you).

I called Celebrity too prior to contacting documentation officer and they said that we need to contact Chinese embassy nevertheless because they could not guarantee that rules will not changed.:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
We have email documentation from the Celebrity Millennium Documentation Officer confirming that if we show our passport and proof of our flight departing Shanghai (back to USA and not to another part of China) within 144 hours of our arrival, then no China visas will be required.

We are on the Millennium departing Vancouver on Sep 2 and we will be staying on the Sep 18 sailing to Shanghai.

This issue has been kicked around on CC. The big issue is will we be allowed to stay on the Millennium when it arrives in Yokohama on Sep 18? Our confirmation from the Documentation Officer states that upon presenting our passports to ship staff in Yokohama, they will, seeing that we have no China visas, will send us to other staff who will ask to see a copy of our departing flight tickets and for us to probably fill out a 144-hour visa form or something.

Celebrity 'corporate' claims no knowledge of the 144-hour scheme and its visa provider is totally ignorant of the scheme also (incredible for a 'travel professional'). Celebrity corporate has advised us that, with so many different nationalities, they can't possible be aware & advise us of alternative visa requirements -- they say we need visas or risk being ejected from the ship.

So we are not bringing China visas. But we make no claims or representations as to the wisdom of our decision. To tell the truth, we're just a bit nervous.....

If it doesn't work, and you see us and several other PAX being ejected from the ship in Yokohama, you have our leave to jeer us. ;-)

We are flying from U.K. In January, boarding Millenium in Singapore, disembarking in Shanghai, our only stop in mainland China, but staying in a hotel for one night in Shanghai before flying back to U.K. Still not sure about visa ...

U.S. Consulate General in Shanghai

Main U.S. Consulate General Building

1469 Huai Hai Zhong Road

(Near Wulumuqi Nan Lu)

200031 Shanghai China

Tel: (86-21) 6433-6880

American Citizen Services

Westgate Mall, 1038 West Nanjing Road, 8th Floor

Emergency Tel: (86-21) 3217-4650, press 1, then 3

After-Hours Emergencies: (86-21) 3217-4650, press "0" for the operator.

Fax: (86-21) 6217-2071

E-mail: Please use our contact form

Operating Hours: Please see here

Non-Immigrant Visa Services

Visa Interview Appointments and Information:

In China: 021-5191-5200; In the U.S.: 703-665-1986

E-mail: support-china@ustraveldocs.com

Here is the info for the US Chinese Embassy - email address for visa questions.

U.S. Visa Questions for Chinese Embassy

Please note that inquiries regarding U.S. visas cannot be answered by the American Citizen Services Unit. For inquiries regarding U.S. visas, please review our visa unit’s detailed webpage at http://shanghai.usembassy-china.org.cn/visas.html. American citizens who wish to inquire about visas for Chinese citizens are welcome to attend our weekly American citizen visa hour. Alternatively, American citizens may use the inquiry form at http://shanghai.usembassy-china.org.cn/visas/contact-us.html to submit inquiries related specifically to a pending U.S. non-immigrant visas cases.

http://shanghai.usembassy-china.org.cn/services/contact-us.html

I will be on the Millenium also on Jan. 26th in Shanghai, not getting off til Feb. 11, we are not getting a visa, as we are coming from one country, to china, to another country.

Edited by kwar

As promised, here's a China Visa "update". We just finished our Millennium cruise from Yokohama to Hong Kong. For our cruise, we went from Nagasaki to Shanghai and then to Okinawa (ie back to Japan). The 144 hour China visa exemption DID NOT apply for cruisers on this cruise because we were technically "not leaving Shanghai for a third country". However, when we embarked in Yokohama, EVERYONE was asked if they had a China Visa, for those that did not, their names were taken down at sign-in and were told that a new visa law was introduced by China on October 1, 2016, allowing people to apply for a "1 day exemption". Celebrity would apply for cruisers once they were on board but there was no guarantee that they would get that exemption. Those without a China Visa were not denied boarding but were told that if Celebrity was not successful in getting a 1 day exemption, they would not be allowed to disembark in Shanghai. Fortunately, everyone got their 1 day exemption Visa ($10US charged to their on board account)

In summary, Visa laws change quite quickly, especially in China. Read the fine print carefully. As mentioned, for our completed Oct 16 cruise, the 144 hour exemption did not apply. This may differ for other cruises depending on ports/countries entering China and ports/countries leaving China. While getting a Visa is an added cost, is it worth the angst and uncertainty? Also, what if you need to leave the ship for emergency reasons and its in the country that you don't have a Visa? This creates a lot of problems (on our cruise, we had a passenger who needed to be stretchered off by ambulance in Kobe, Japan). Accidents do happen, best to be prepared.

We are flying from U.K. In January, boarding Millenium in Singapore, disembarking in Shanghai, our only stop in mainland China, but staying in a hotel for one night in Shanghai before flying back to U.K. Still not sure about visa ...

Hi Julie;

From what I can see, your cruise starts in Singapore and ends in Shanghai, where you are staying 1 night then flying home to the UK. So, you do qualify for the 144 hour Visa exemption, as you enter China (Shanghai) from the your cruise stop (which I'm certain is not the UK, lol!) and leave China (Shanghai) to UK, which is a third country. So you meet that requirement of the 144 hour visa exemption. Just read the other requirements carefully to make sure that you meet everything exactly. Keep in mind Visa requirements change fairly quickly, especially in China (see my previous post).

As promised, here's a China Visa "update". We just finished our Millennium cruise from Yokohama to Hong Kong. For our cruise, we went from Nagasaki to Shanghai and then to Okinawa (ie back to Japan). The 144 hour China visa exemption DID NOT apply for cruisers on this cruise because we were technically "not leaving Shanghai for a third country". However, when we embarked in Yokohama, EVERYONE was asked if they had a China Visa, for those that did not, their names were taken down at sign-in and were told that a new visa law was introduced by China on October 1, 2016, allowing people to apply for a "1 day exemption". Celebrity would apply for cruisers once they were on board but there was no guarantee that they would get that exemption. Those without a China Visa were not denied boarding but were told that if Celebrity was not successful in getting a 1 day exemption, they would not be allowed to disembark in Shanghai. Fortunately, everyone got their 1 day exemption Visa ($10US charged to their on board account)

In summary, Visa laws change quite quickly, especially in China. Read the fine print carefully. As mentioned, for our completed Oct 16 cruise, the 144 hour exemption did not apply. This may differ for other cruises depending on ports/countries entering China and ports/countries leaving China. While getting a Visa is an added cost, is it worth the angst and uncertainty? Also, what if you need to leave the ship for emergency reasons and its in the country that you don't have a Visa? This creates a lot of problems (on our cruise, we had a passenger who needed to be stretchered off by ambulance in Kobe, Japan). Accidents do happen, best to be prepared.

Thank you very much for coming back with that information. I really appreciate the update!

• 2 weeks later...
As promised, here's a China Visa "update". We just finished our Millennium cruise from Yokohama to Hong Kong. ...

We on our roll call, who are taking the Millennium from Hong Kong to Yokohama in April 2017, sincerely appreciate your update. Thank you.:)

Edited by emileg

We on our roll call, who are taking the Millennium from Hong Kong to Yokohama in April 2017, sincerely appreciate your update. Thank you.:)

You are very welcome. Millie is a beautiful ship and I'm sure that you will enjoy your cruise and the ports as much as we did. Happy cruising.

Interesting reading! It brought back memories of a cruise 10+ yrs ago where we had 3 stops in mainland China. At each port the requirements were slightly different causing much extra work for the crew and for passengers. In the second port there were two wonderful overland several night ship sponsored tour planned for interested folks, each trip leaving from a different China Port. Well, the one for the first port went off without a hitch. Not so the second port - the trip had to be canceled the morning of departure due to a significant change in overland travel requirements.

Now, none of this directly applies to this post due to it being truly old information, but to this day it serves as a reminder that when it comes to things like Visas, stuff happens so I continue to take the conservative approach and when in doubt - get the Visa. There is NO way the ship could have known that the change, within a 2 day period.

• 2 months later...

Hi Julie,

We are doing the same thing with Royal Caribbean in march.we stay over in Singapore for two nights then sail to Shanghai where we are staying overnight before flying back to the UK. I am reasonably confident that the visa exemption applies but would be grateful if you could let me know how you got on and if indeed you got a visa or used the 144 hour waiver.

Regards, mike

We are just off Millieium yesterday. We are from the USA and went with the ten year visa. We plan to travel more in China. Many people did use the 144 hour visa on our cruise. Customs in Shanghai was very easy just our passports. They scanned a bar code on the back of our passports and we were done.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Forums mobile app

Many thanks for the reply,it's nice to hear first hand from someone who has recently been there.

I was pretty certain that as we were travelling into Shanghai from Okinawa (our last port of call) and travelling out of Shanghai pudong back to the UK that the 144 hour visa exemption would apply but I have had no help from either the travel agent or cruise company who either do not know about this rule or would rather sell us a visa we probably don't need.

Kind regards

Mike

• 2 months later...

Celebrity said we need a visa to visit Shanghi so we got them at a cost of over $500. While on board we got a message from them that if a passenger doesn't have a visa they will join you on a group visa for $10. What a rip off. We're going to the guest services to try to have them refund us our money

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Before our trip from Abu Dhabi to Singapore I asked the Michael's Club Concierge if she could find out if we needed a visa for India. As difficult and expensive as the one for Brazil. The Documentation Officer replied that we would be denied boarding without one. Of course not true. You could even get off the ship on special excursions.

Before our trip from Abu Dhabi to Singapore I asked the Michael's Club Concierge if she could find out if we needed a visa for India. As difficult and expensive as the one for Brazil. The Documentation Officer replied that we would be denied boarding without one. Of course not true. You could even get off the ship on special excursions.

Surprised to hear that about India.

Our last cruise that stopped at India went to two ports. The day before each port India immigration officials were on board for a face-to-face interview with every passenger including a check for the India visa.

Surprised to hear that about India.

Our last cruise that stopped at India went to two ports. The day before each port India immigration officials were on board for a face-to-face interview with every passenger including a check for the India visa.

Our cruise was this past January. MANY people did not have the visa. We did meet with immigration of course.

Four stops in India

Celebrity said we need a visa to visit Shanghi so we got them at a cost of over $500. While on board we got a message from them that if a passenger doesn't have a visa they will join you on a group visa for $10. What a rip off. We're going to the guest services to try to have them refund us our money

Refund your money? Who do you expect to refund you? You purchased a Visa. That was a wise move. Hopefully you got the 10 year one.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all. Just want some information for those who have disembarked in Shanghai, then fly to US, Canada or other country than where caught ship. We are taking the Millie from a Yokohama and end in Shanghai. We will stay one night in Shanghai and then fly home to US. Celebrity still was not helpful.

Is it difficult when you disembark the ship to go through Chinese immigration? Are there long lines? What do you need? A copy of your travel itinerary? Any idea of anyone getting denied entry to China after disembarking in China?

Any advice or confirmation on visa requirements are helpful, especially those who have recently utilized the 144 hour transit. Thank you!

We disembarked in Shanghai on 09/04/17 having sailed from Okinawa as our last port of call after cruising from Singapore, then staying over night before flying back to England.After trying in vain to get a straight answer from Royal Caribbean or the Chinese embassy and doing my homework online we took as much information regarding the 144 hour visa exemption with us and NO visa. I expected a fight in Singapore as I had been told that we may not be allowed to board the ship. I have to say that R/C staff at the port knew all about it and there was no issue. They flagged us up as qualifying for the exemption and processed the paperwork before our arrival in Shanghai where we disembarked with no issues and went straight through immigration also with no issues. We met plenty on board who had been frightened into buy visas that they did not need. So whilst everyone's itinary will be different my understanding of the 144 visa is that if you arrive from one country, in our case our last port of call Okinawa then transit through Shanghai within 144 hours to a third country in our case England then you are fine. If you disembark in Shanghai then go somewhere else in China OR have an airport change in China OR return to the country you came in from then you will need a visa.i hope this is a help as I know that certainly trying to get an answer in the UK is extremely difficult

We disembarked in Shanghai on 09/04/17 having sailed from Okinawa as our last port of call after cruising from Singapore, then staying over night before flying back to England.After trying in vain to get a straight answer from Royal Caribbean or the Chinese embassy and doing my homework online we took as much information regarding the 144 hour visa exemption with us and NO visa. I expected a fight in Singapore as I had been told that we may not be allowed to board the ship. I have to say that R/C staff at the port knew all about it and there was no issue. They flagged us up as qualifying for the exemption and processed the paperwork before our arrival in Shanghai where we disembarked with no issues and went straight through immigration also with no issues. We met plenty on board who had been frightened into buy visas that they did not need. So whilst everyone's itinary will be different my understanding of the 144 visa is that if you arrive from one country, in our case our last port of call Okinawa then transit through Shanghai within 144 hours to a third country in our case England then you are fine. If you disembark in Shanghai then go somewhere else in China OR have an airport change in China OR return to the country you came in from then you will need a visa.i hope this is a help as I know that certainly trying to get an answer in the UK is extremely difficult

Thank you! Very helpful I hope.