The Emperor tries on Regents New er third hand "New" Clothes - Yes an Explorer review

Emperor, which ship was it that looked nice (agree that it does) but does not get good reviews on CC? I couldn't see any identifying markers on her.

Also, you made mention (above the pool bar picture) about being an "Odyssey" class ship. Unless the photo was not of the Explorer (we did not notice the pool bar when we were onboard so I wouldn't recognize it), isn't this ship the first of the "Explorer" class ships?

While I do select Ritz crackers over water crackers, I am surprised that water crackers were not on the cheese plate. Usually the Ritz crackers are so popular amongst the passengers that they have run out.

Emperor, which ship was it that looked nice (agree that it does) but does not get good reviews on CC? I couldn't see any identifying markers on her.

Also, you made mention (above the pool bar picture) about being an "Odyssey" class ship. Unless the photo was not of the Explorer (we did not notice the pool bar when we were onboard so I wouldn't recognize it), isn't this ship the first of the "Explorer" class ships?

While I do select Ritz crackers over water crackers, I am surprised that water crackers were not on the cheese plate. Usually the Ritz crackers are so popular amongst the passengers that they have run out.

The ship pictured is Le Lyrial. (Ponant Line)

Edited by Host Dan

We've just booked a 14 day Caribbean on Explorer in early December. Can't wait - it has a bunch of sea days which I love - it will be relaxing after my vocal cord radiation. Thanks for this thread!

You are likely on boarding the ship when we get off (December 2nd). Have a great cruise and hope that your treatment is easy and successful!

Thanks! She looks quite small but has a lovely profile!

We were on Le Lyrial in February for an Antarctica expedition cruise. It was lovely...very elegant, very small, great service. It was very European so that may account for some negative reviews. Regent also gets negative reviews but we have not had a bad cruise yet!

We were on an A&K trip in 2013 on Le Boreal. An incredible trip with wonderful lecturers and fantastic excursions. South Georgia island, the Falklands islands, and of course, the continent of of Antartica.

It was one of our best trips ever, despite a terrible storm that damaged the Silver Explorer, that had to return to Ushuaia with injuries to crew members.

The combination of zodiac explorations and luxury cruise ship made for a most memorable trip. I can only imagine what the new addition to the fleet added to the adventure!:)

For the last few days more and more passengers had been commenting/complaining about getting stuck on a bus with either no AC or insufficient AC.

In this port, I'd get stuck with a bus that lacked AC. And it was such a cold day out too:rolleyes:

We were in Split, Croatia and I was on a tour to visit the former residence turned art museum (given away to the people before the commies could steal, er reallocate it) of Ivan Mestrovic. This was to be followed by a leisurely stroll into the sewers under Diocletians palace and then a trip to a local restaurant to sample localish wines and their version of antipasti.

As soon as we boarded the bus the complaints about the lack of AC started. This would've been a good time to request a new bus.

Welcome to Mestrovics former estate.

DSC_6843-XL.jpg

DSC_6845-XL.jpg

DSC_6846-XL.jpg

It has a nice view, the modern "art" aside.

DSC_6847-XL.jpg

DSC_6848-XL.jpg

A lot of his work was religious.

DSC_6849-XL.jpg

DSC_6851-XL.jpg

The museum used open windows and the hope of a breeze for air conditioning. It was slightly better than what the bus had. After a somewhat brief trip we started walking along the waterfront towards Diocletians palace.

Due to how cold it was outside I started looking for areas of shade between buildings.

DSC_6852-XL.jpg

Former sewer system

DSC_6853-XL.jpg

A bit backed up

DSC_6854-XL.jpg

DSC_6857-XL.jpg

The result of communists allowing the homeless to "share" housing (rent free - probably everything else free as well) with the landowners.

DSC_6858-XL.jpg

Needless to say the landowners took off and the residents left behind didn't do a stellar job on the upkeep.

DSC_6859-XL.jpg

The old Roman ruins with "new" buildings on top of them.

DSC_6860-XL.jpg

DSC_6862-XL.jpg

Don't forget to look up

DSC_6865-XL.jpg

I wonder if it was ever this crowded when the Romans were there.

DSC_6866-XL.jpg

DSC_6873-XL.jpg

...where have all the tourists gone?

DSC_6874-XL.jpg

After touring the museum and Diocletians palace we loaded up back on the bus. It was prior to this that I think communication had broken down. Some people thought that because they didn't want to go to the final stop the guide was going to take them back to the ship and then take the rest of us on to the final stop. That didn't work out so well for them and thats when the yelling started.

I think about a third of the passengers yelling brought the bus to a screeching halt. While this was going on, none of us were going anywhere. We were all stuck on the bus while the angry passengers yelled at the guide. Its not like it was well over 90 outside and it was sweltering on the bus but they HAD to go back to the ship right NOW or they were going to spontaneously combust. As the yelling had started the guide pointed out the final stop was about two minutes from where the bus currently was. Five minutes later the angry passengers got off the bus with directions back to the ship. Two minutes later we were at our destination. Thanks guys, way to consider anyone other than yourselves. Had they continued on they would have been heading back sooner than had they started yelling (Pyrrhic victory for them, loss for everyone else). In the meantime the rest of us were held hostage to their antics.

I regret not just walking back from the palace. It would've been faster, cooler and I wouldn't have been stuck on the bus or visited the last stop. The last stop was a local place in what seemed to be a residential area. There were a lot of pictures of people I didn't recognize but assume were famous in Croatia. Normally I try to avoid places like that. Let's just say the wine was as expected from the area and leave it at that.

I did get to walk by a nice beach.

DSC_6875-XL.jpg

Im not sure if they lacked windows or just opened internally.

DSC_6876-XL.jpg

Sadly I didn't see a single train.

DSC_6877-XL.jpg

DSC00708-XL.jpg

Todays stop was in Koper, Slovenia. It's been modernized since I was last here. Last time I was here you either had to walk up a lot of stairs to old town, or around the waterfront and then up. They now have an elevator adjacent to the pier.

The tour today was to a scenic town outside of Koper and then a trip through the countryside to a touristturismo. I'm not sure what to call the place. It was like a farmers market where locals would let you sample their food/drink (you were give 5 tickets, any more cost you) but it wasn't open to the general public for buying or selling.

DSC_6878-XL.jpg

DSC_6879-XL.jpg

After doing the scenic photo stop thing it was off to lands end for more scenery.

DSC_6880-XL.jpg

Pirates, a fish house and the Venetian lion with an open book, oh my!

DSC_6885-XL.jpg

If you look closely you can see a certain dictator on the door.

DSC_6886-XL.jpg

DSC_6887-XL.jpg

DSC_6919-XL.jpg

I met a new friend in the bathroom but didn't quite catch his name.

DSC_6920-XL.jpg

DSC_6921-XL.jpg

I think there were four or more different Regent tour groups here.

DSC_6922-XL.jpg

Guess the fruit

DSC_6923-XL.jpg

DSC_6925-XL.jpg

They were kiwi, to go along with the owners black tomatoes and peppers.

Edited by Emperor Norton

DSC_6926-XL.jpg

DSC_6927-XL.jpg

Unexpected ad

DSC_6929-XL.jpg

The tourist place actually had some nice local meats, cheeses, pies, honey and the like (if you go I'll say this: There are two parts, don't forget that. Also the home made ice cream sold out. FAST).

Dinner was again in Compass Rose.

These were supposed to be egg rolls. However the menu forgot to mention that under the normal wrapper was a wrapper made of nori. Not the taste surprise I was looking for or forward to.

DSC00732-XL.jpg

Their wedge had corn, an interesting and not unwelcome if somewhat odd addition.

DSC00734-XL.jpg

They seem to find smallish potatoes for their baked and twice baked potatoes. This isn't just a Regent issue, but for some reason on every cruise line I've been on the sour cream hasn't been sour enough for me.

DSC00735-XL.jpg