The Emperor tries on Regents New er third hand "New" Clothes - Yes an Explorer review

Should have jumped ship then and avoided the crowds.

DSC_6959-XL.jpg

DSC_6962-XL.jpg

DSC_6967-XL.jpg

I wasn't feeling overly well that morning so I missed my tour. Eventually I felt well enough to go stroll the town and perhaps try a Bellini at Harrys Bar.

I took alilaguna for transportation. The downside was trying to figure out how to use my amazing chip and no pin card on a machine that expected a pin. I can't remember now whether I made up a pin or just entered a blank pin. Whatever it was it worked.

DSC_6971-XL.jpg

Crowded was an understatement.

DSC_6973-XL.jpg

DSC_6975-XL.jpg

DSC_7002-XL.jpg

DSC_7003-XL.jpg

DSC_7004-XL.jpg

DSC_7005-XL.jpg

Back on the ship it was time for warranty or initial build inspection or something. They were finding areas that had obvious issues and photographing them. We helpfully pointed out all the bar stools. And the lack of bar windows.

DSC00745-XL.jpg

Oh a round trip ticket to/from the cruise terminal/St. Marks was 15 Euro.

DSC00746-XL.jpg

Edited by Emperor Norton

My Precious, my Sangria.

DSC00747-XL.jpg

The bar was surprisingly crowded. I blame Harrys. It seems they have a dress code I couldn't find on their website. No short pants. Several other passengers had also been refused entry/service based on their dress. I was in shorts and quickly asked to leave. I was surprised they were OK with the one guy in suit and tie passed out on the bar. Oh well.

DSC00748-XL.jpg

For testing sake, let's see how this works.

DSC00752-XL.jpg

Whatever happened to asking someone else to take your picture?

DSC00754-XL.jpg

You have to be careful with the quality construction of some of the furniture.

DSC00755-XL.jpg

No idea what these were for

DSC00756-XL.jpg

Would I cruise them again? If management changed it would depend on destination and single supplement. With the current management they're at the bottom of my luxury cruise list.

Food and service wise (excluding destination services people ) this cruise was far ahead of my last Regent cruise. I still feel that Seabourn has better overall product but that this cruise was much closer.

Emperor - thanks for the effort of putting in all your photos and enjoyably cynical comments. Above all, it makes me realise that I do not like ship excursions - there are some occasions where they are useful, in places hard to get around otherwise.

Not only the only reason why I will not be cruising Regent again after our trip on Mariner last year, but certainly one of them.

Thank you so much for sharing your adventures with us, i have enjoyed it immensely and even found a new cocktail.

Please let us know about your next voyage (whatever ship or ports you sail) as i just love your wit, humour and a good eye for a photograph. :D

Pam.

Thanks for such an entertaining and unbiased (!) review. We share many of your experiences and conclusions and agree that under the current regime unfortunately we won't be taking any more cruises with Regent.

I'm still trying to figure out which fellow traveller you were. Are the photos in the pool bar taken from your usual vantage point?

Thanks to all posters. I'm sorry to see this thread end.

I enjoy Regent for many reasons including for the seasoned travelers that we meet. I can’t imagine that such people would base their decisions to do cruises on a glowing review; but do realize that they might be given pause by a few negative reviews. Me, I use CC (and other such sites) to gather “facts” but take the info with “a grain of salt”. I am very thankful that veteran cruisers such as Emperor Norton and TC2 take so much of their valuable on-board time to communicate their observations and opinions.

Emperor Norton considers himself a gourmand; me- not at all. So, just because he doesn’t like some food, doesn’t mean that I won’t try it. BUT, if he likes something you can bet that it is going to be scheduled for my plate during the next cruise.

TC2 has almost unbridled enthusiasm for Regent on board experiences (ps: so do I); you can easily discern this from her many posts. BUT she is also highly “vocal” about important issues such as “included” excursions, suites under pool deck, and aft vibrations on some Regent ships. Her insights are valuable to me.

Furthermore, I definitely don’t want CC “peeking” into my life in any attempt to assure the veracity of my posts. Thank you CC management for your posts that clarify the CC position.