The Emperor tries on Regents New er third hand "New" Clothes - Yes an Explorer review

Emperor Norton - please keep posting. Also, I'll bet that nobody outside of the Bay Area has ever heard of the historic Emperor Norton.

Perhaps he is a blood descendant? He certainly has a similair style.;)

j

(Native Californian)

Enjoyable reading, Emperor Norton. A quick question: Do you know what hours the Pool Grill is open??

The Regent paper says

0630-930 Fitness Breakfast

1100-1600 Lunch

Some days in addition to the above they had specialty buffets

1200-1400 Spanish, Seafood, Breatharian etc...

Edited by Emperor Norton

I bow to the Emperor. You are a breath of fresh air on the CC Boards. I can't wait until the next installment. I think we should all chip in and send you on another Regent cruise. :D

I think Regent management would have to buy fainting couches for some of their posters here.:eek:

My first time in Barcelona was on the Regent Voyager near the end of the 2011 World Cruise. The tour I'd elected to do back then was supposed to be to the Jean Leon winery. We got on the bus, drove for a long while and arrived to a somewhat locked facility. The place was empty. While the tour guide went looking for an employee I went looking for a restroom. Front door was locked. Walking around I found a side door that wasn't. Joy a restroom. I think some passengers appreciated this "discovery". It turns out that there wasn't an English speaking guide there that day and we were out of luck. So instead of going to the scheduled upscale winery we were driven to the most Disneyland like winery (they have a ride on carts that takes you through videos and fake scenes) I've ever been to: Torres (they now own Jean Leon). I think it was Spanish for E&J Gallo, or perhaps plonk. Needless to say I was less than thrilled. I'm not sure how well this marketing gimmick worked out for them:

Euro11_20110527_122242-1731605722-O-XL.jpg

So, this time in Barcelona I braved a Jean Leon tour. Again. The first part was the part I liked the least: a "scenic" drive through the city. I tried to sleep through it. The stop we made for pictures was nice.

DSC_6678-XL.jpg

DSC_6679-XL.jpg

The Explorer and in front of her some RCCI monstrosity.

DSC_6680-XL.jpg

DSC_6682-XL.jpg

Edited by Emperor Norton

At least they've managed to upgrade their sign in the last five years.

2011 version:

Euro11_20110527_101841-1731605289-O-XL.jpg

2016 upgraded version with more spokesweasel influence.

DSC_6684-XL.jpg

Best of all though was this time they had an English speaking guide there waiting for us. All several buses of us. While overall there were what seemed like a lot of people on this tour we were spread out across ~ 4+ buses with about 20 on each bus.

Quick backstory on Jean Leon (not his real name) - Grew up in Spain, Father/brother die in a fire. He makes several attempts to stowaway to the US. Finally makes it. Works in NY restaurants, moves to LA, meets Sinatra, opens a little Italian place with some guy named old booze eyes, or was it Dean Martin. I think they called the place La Scala. Meets a relatively unknown at the time actor named Reagan. Decides he really likes wine. Wants to buy a Champagne house but is a bit short on cash. Returns to native Spain, buys some vineyards, rips up all the local grapes and plants typical French grapes. Makes his own wines. Runs into the actor again and the actors sad that as a Democrat he (Jean Leon) won't vote for him. He tells the actor that as a friend, hell vote for the actor. The actor promises to serve his wine at the inauguration. That's how at the inauguration of Ronald Reagan Jean Leon wine was served. Or so the story goes.

DSC_6686-XL.jpg

These were all varieties that weren't used in winemaking here, just grown to show different flavor profiles (when ripe tours would sample them to taste the differences).

DSC_6687-XL.jpg

DSC_6688-XL.jpg

DSC_6689-XL.jpg

After a very brief tour it was time to sample the wines.

DSC_6699-XL.jpg

Bask in the pure luxury of our wine tour (IIRC we were the cheaper option:mad: )

DSC_6701-XL.jpg

I did purchase some wine there (both on lark as we didn't get to try either) a Rose and one of their single vineyard specials the "Cabernet Sauvignon Gran Reserva" Vinya La Scala DO 2001.

After sampling some of Elenas handiwork (I asked for Sangria which needs to be made ahead of time) at the pool bar it was time for dinner. Tonight was in the Compass Rose again.

They even fancied up the menu covers

DSC00608-XL.jpg

I'm sorry, but to me Indian food (especially a curry) needs spice. This had zero. The only way to heat it up was a chili sauce that made everything taste like a chili sauce. The rice had the SilverSea snap, crackle pop (some over cooked, some under) thing going. The curry itself even ignoring the lack of heat was something beneath what I can get locally. At least they used lamb (I was very confused on a Seabourn cruise when I had an Indian feast that had beef curry).

DSC00609-XL.jpg

This was a good milk chocolate mousse.

DSC00610-XL.jpg

The next day was easy. It was a sea day (I love sea days).

As I said earlier Elena was making sangria for me (red). Eventually others would see my precious drink and tries to takes its from us. She was nice enough to make even more and make some white sangria as well. I thought it worked well against the heat.

DSC_6702-XL.jpg

This next image was confuzzling. I can understand in cold weather why this would be good, but when its near 100/39 will there really be that many people that want a hot, steamy cup of bouillon? The answer as far as I could tell was: no, not many. I think maybe three people. Yet this was out every day after this port.

DSC_6707-XL.jpg

A frozen Blue Hawiian took me away from the heat.

DSC_6708-XL.jpg

Some of the trio, some liked them, others found them well not so good.

DSC_6710-XL.jpg

I've been reading a little bit of this thread each morning with my coffee and today I woke up and, sadly, am finally caught up! Hopefully there will be more, of the remaining ports, there is pressure on you, Emperor! See what you started? :)

Another question for anyone who has sailed on the ship. Is use of the spa facilities, and all the bells and whistles contained therein, accessible only if you purchase a spa treatment? Or can one just go in and hang out if the mood strikes them? And have read much about the infinity pool in the spa, on the back of the ship. How is it?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Another question for anyone who has sailed on the ship. Is use of the spa facilities, and all the bells and whistles contained therein, accessible only if you purchase a spa treatment? Or can one just go in and hang out if the mood strikes them? And have read much about the infinity pool in the spa, on the back of the ship. How is it?

Although we were on the Explorer, we did not spend much time in the spa area. However, from what I understand, anyone can take advantage of their special showers, sauna, etc. There was a concern that the infinity pool area would be so crowded that limitations would be put on it to control the crowds. From what we have seen, there are no crowds at all.

We felt infinity pool and surrounding areas were a bit small. Someone on the maiden voyage indicated that the infinity pool is partially drained when in port for safety reasons. This doesn't make a lot of sense since the pool isn't drained when in port.

We were impressed with the gym and spa facilities but no so much with the infinity pool. Other people will likely offer a different opinion.

And while I'm at it, have read everyone's thoughts on the specialty restaurants, but evidently the outdoor cafe turns into an informal Italian restaurant at night called Sette Mari. Sounds like a nice alternative to all the fanciness. Has anyone who's sailed dined there?

My comments on Sette Mare will be in the next port (Taomarina) and the fuse for the bus story (which at this point is probably over hyped:o) will get lit in the port after that (Valletta).

Re: the infinity pool - that's another perk of Titanium members at this time. No need to buy a pass. I don't know if people didn't know it was there, but I only heard two people mention it in conversation.

And while I'm at it, have read everyone's thoughts on the specialty restaurants, but evidently the outdoor cafe turns into an informal Italian restaurant at night called Sette Mari. Sounds like a nice alternative to all the fanciness. Has anyone who's sailed dined there?

The Emperor will be giving his thoughts soon but here are mine. We really enjoy Sette Mari (which is La Veranda during the day). This dining venue has both inside and outside seating.

My only complaint about this restaurant is that there is too much food (which is my way of blaming Regent for my lack of self control when it comes to Italian food). Before the meal begins you are given a glass of prosecco, small tastes of a few items (cheese, olives, some kind of meat or veal balls, bread, and bread sticks with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Then there is the antipasti bar with salads, meats, cheeses and a ton of other items. After that you can have soup (delivered from the kitchen) and your main course. If there is any room in your stomach left, there is a dessert bar and gelato (at least the Explorer has gelato - not sure if this is on the other ships yet).

IMO, this is a great place to have dinner!

I guess I learned something today. We weren't offered a welcome glass of prosecco.

Sounds like they forgot, or, they decided not to continue serving prosecco as they have been doing since Sette Mari was introduced. Trust me - you didn't miss anything. I much prefer their wines:)

We were able to visit the Jean Leon winery on a regent ship tour when the grapes were ripe on the vines. Best winery tour ever, as we were able to walk around and sample all we wanted.

I was just happy they had the right employees present this time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

I don't know if they discontinued or forgot or it was so busy that they got missed but if somebody wants some, just ask. I'm confident that they would either open a bottle there or send somebody to the lounge and bring it up.

I also prefer the regular wines but everybody has their own preferences and Regent does a pretty good job (but not always perfect) of satisfying their clients. Mistakes happen, and while it should not be necessary, satisfaction is usually speedily delivered if one just softly expresses their wishes.