Golden Coming Back to the U.S. in 2018?

IECalCruiser

I was looking at the Golden's schedule and noticed a cruise from Yokohama to Alaska in April of 2018. Does anyone know if she will be staying in the U.S. or will she be doing as the Diamond used to do and sail Alaska during the summer and Asia the rest of the year or something else?

It had previously been announced that Golden Princess would be redeployed to full-time "Aussie Cruising" to replace Dawn Princess which is being transferred to P&O. My guess is that Golden will be scheduled similar to how Sea Princess was: Alaska during that season and Australia the rest of the year.

Also consider that Princess has twice (I believe) announced and then withdrawn an eastbound Trans-Pacific sailing, so they had to make good at some point. While they are not quite satisfying the demand for a Sydney to California cruise they will get solid bookings from Australia for this one.

The question that remains is whether Princess will be returning to seven ships in Alaska for 2018 after several years of only six. Along with Golden Princess the Coral, Island, Star, Ruby and Emerald all have their Spring 2018 schedules converging in Vancouver late April or early May just as in 2017, plus Grand in San Francisco.

Edited by fishywood

It had previously been announced that Golden Princess would be redeployed to full-time "Aussie Cruising" to replace Dawn Princess which is being transferred to P&O. My guess is that Golden will be scheduled similar to how Sea Princess was: Alaska during that season and Australia the rest of the year.

Also consider that Princess has twice (I believe) announced and then withdrawn an eastbound Trans-Pacific sailing, so they had to make good at some point. While they are not quite satisfying the demand for a Sydney to California cruise they will get solid bookings from Australia for this one.

The question that remains is whether Princess will be returning to seven ships in Alaska for 2018 after several years of only six. Along with Golden Princess the Coral, Island, Star, Ruby and Emerald all have their Spring 2018 schedules converging in Vancouver late April or early May just as in 2017, plus Grand in San Francisco.

The Emerald is doing an Eastbound TP next spring. I wanted to do the west bound cruise (I like the idea of gaining hours rather than losing them ☺) on the Diamond but she was redeployed before we had the chance. A west bound in the fall of 2018 sounds good. Edited by IECalCruiser

The Emerald is doing an Eastbound TP next spring. I wanted to do the west bound cruise (I like the idea of gaining hours rather than losing them ☺) on the Diamond but she was redeployed before we had the chance. A west bound in the fall of 2018 sounds good.

We sailed the e/b in 2009 from Sydney to LA and while we lost hours we did repeat one day after crossing the International Dateline. :)

My two w/b transpacifics (and one e/b) were on a Navy ship where we would have appreciated fewer hours onboard. ;)

We sailed the e/b in 2009 from Sydney to LA and while we lost hours we did repeat one day after crossing the International Dateline. :)

My two w/b transpacifics (and one e/b) were on a Navy ship where we would have appreciated fewer hours onboard. ;)

So for this inexperienced transpacific cruiser...the preferred route would be LA to Sydney for longer days? And how does the lost day work?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

So for this inexperienced transpacific cruiser...the preferred route would be LA to Sydney for longer days? And how does the lost day work?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Check out the World Cruise segment on the Pacific departing on January 20, 2017. The cruise is 22 days and the itinerary skips from February 2nd to February 4th at the crossing of the dateline. The cruise lasts for 22 actually days and it is like February 3rd was never there. Edited by IECalCruiser

Check out the World Cruise segment on the Pacific departing on January 20, 2017. The cruise is 22 days and the itinerary skips from February 2nd to February 4th at the crossing of the dateline. The cruise lasts for 22 actually days and it is like February 3rd was never there.

We had two 11/2/09 days sailing e/b from Sydney to LA. ;)

For me it's the available dates and the total cost for the cruise that's more important than which direction it's sailing. It's tempting to sail the 29-day from Sydney to LA departing on 4/12/17...good cruise fare & one-way airfare ($392) from LAX. However since were sailing a 15 day cruise early next year and we've previously been to all those ports, we'll consider it another time.

To me there are pros & cons to sailing either direction & price would be the overriding factor in my decision.

Edited by Astro Flyer

We had been looking at either a California to Sydney or a Sidney to California cruise but, instead, booked the 28 day LA to Hawaii and South Pacific cruise next year on Emerald Princess. There is no long distance flight (just from Northern CA to LA and then back again) and they tossed in the AIBP. For a 28 day cruise that's more than a $3,155 perk for two people.

We'll have to get to Sydney another time but not this year or next. :)

We had been looking at either a California to Sydney or a Sidney to California cruise but, instead, booked the 28 day LA to Hawaii and South Pacific cruise next year on Emerald Princess. There is no long distance flight (just from Northern CA to LA and then back again) and they tossed in the AIBP. For a 28 day cruise that's more than a $3,155 perk for two people.

We'll have to get to Sydney another time but not this year or next. :)

Each year we consider the 28-day r/t LA to Hawaii & Tahiti which is a good itinerary & hopefully someday you'll get to Sydney...NZ was the highlight of that cruise & next time we'll experience more of Oz. :)

I personally hope for a transpacific the summer of 2018 like the one offered next summer!
So do I. I've been watching for such a cruise for months now.

Does anyone have any advance information about it or know when it might be posted? Or know where to find advance information?

Edited by islandwoman