What C&A Just told me about my 20% off Drink Package not really being 20%

OK, so I am on Empress next and unless I have a bunch of OBC I like to buy my drink package in advance.

I purchased the Ultimate for 9/22 and was charged $250.16 for the 4 day cruise, with the "20% off promo." Problem is that is *not* 20% off the cost currently on board. Current price on board is $59 plus 18% per day, or $278.48 total. 20% off that should be $222.78. So really, I got about 10% off. (Fine, I'll take it.)

But when I called the D+ desk to ask about the discrepancy between what I was charged and what I know is the current menu of prices on Empress (thank you Cruiseboy305), this is what they said:

That, first, there was nothing they could adjust. Second, that they have been advised that all pricing for drink packages is about to change to a per ship/itinerary price - so the 20% off I paid is supposed to reflect the new pricing that is supposed to go into effect "soon."

I never trust anyone at Royal saying something is going to happen "soon" - so we'll see what happens on board next month. But this would be so obviously deceptive, that packages might be going up 10% "soon."

OK, so I am on Empress next and unless I have a bunch of OBC I like to buy my drink package in advance.

I purchased the Ultimate for 9/22 and was charged $250.16 for the 4 day cruise, with the "20% off promo." Problem is that is *not* 20% off the cost currently on board. Current price on board is $59 plus 18% per day, or $278.48 total. 20% off that should be $222.78. So really, I got about 10% off. (Fine, I'll take it.)

But when I called the D+ desk to ask about the discrepancy between what I was charged and what I know is the current menu of prices on Empress (thank you Cruiseboy305), this is what they said:

That, first, there was nothing they could adjust. Second, that they have been advised that all pricing for drink packages is about to change to a per ship/itinerary price - so the 20% off I paid is supposed to reflect the new pricing that is supposed to go into effect "soon."

I never trust anyone at Royal saying something is going to happen "soon" - so we'll see what happens on board next month. But this would be so obviously deceptive, that packages might be going up 10% "soon."

I haven't been on Royal Caribbean for a while, but I find this drink package pricing ABSURD. It's not like the price of alcohol changes per sailing, so they must be adjusting prices by supply and demand. While there is nothing wrong with this, I dislike it. I would rather have some consistency and transparency.

AND I would call them back and ask to speak to a supervisor about this, because I'm guessing you are seeing what I am seeing on the Cruise Planner with their EXACT wording " LIMITED TIME OFFER! 20% off onboard prices when you buy now." and demand that they honor 20% off the ONBOARD price. It doesn't matter if they are going to a "per ship/itinerary price" that is going into effect SOON, that isn't what you bought, it's not currently in effect, so why are they holding you to something that isn't in effect. For example, if you book a boardwalk balcony for a sailing leaving before November, you don't get those extra perks because they don't go into effect until November. They wouldn't give those perks to someone who was sailing next week just because the promotion was going into effect "Soon". Their logic is SO flawd. you bought a package that they clearly have stated was 20% off onboard pricing. I feel like thats a very strong argument and they *should* honor it. But then again, their terms and conditions are very vague, probably on purpose "TERMS AND CONDITIONS: *Prices subject to change without notice. "

I bought the package for my sailing right after i booked, about 2 weeks ago. I checked the price a few days ago, and it has went up 70.00, MORE than the price it would be to book onboard. Still claims "20% off onboard pricing"

:rolleyes:

Edited by aubreyc1988

Yes it is what it is I paid one price on the Allure with the 20% discount then went on a 3 night cruise on the majesty 2 months later and with the same 20% discount it was more expensive per day than the Allure cruise but still cheaper than if I waited until I was onboard. So if you want the package it's still cheaper to buy it online with the discount than wait till your on the ship.actually the price for the packages on both ships per day were different but both reflected what I paid with the discount. So they do have different pricing per ship.

Edited by mark22mac

Ya this is not news.

It was reported a while ago that pricing would vary from ship to ship, voyage to voyage.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yes, 20% off the "regular" price of $59 SHOULD HAVE BEEN $222.78.

They are just plain overcharging you.

Escalate?

Yes, 20% off the "regular" price of $59 SHOULD HAVE BEEN $222.78.

They are just plain overcharging you.

Escalate?

For sure - at least by this week's pricing.

But escalate to who do you think? I asked the D+ rep about that, and she gave me a non-answer.

I have printed out the offer from cruise planner and will bring it on board and see what happens there when I look at the bar menu (as soon as I board :) ).

Ya this is not news.

It was reported a while ago that pricing would vary from ship to ship, voyage to voyage.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Sorry, I wasn't clear - yes, pricing can vary from ship to ship. When I was on Allure in May, the Ultimate was about $79/day with tip. $10 more than Empress.

My point is that pricing may be going up 10% across the board (no matter what they are charging now) or else what they just charged me vs the current price is absolutely deceptive marketing.

For sure - at least by this week's pricing.

But escalate to who do you think? I asked the D+ rep about that, and she gave me a non-answer.

I have printed out the offer from cruise planner and will bring it on board and see what happens there when I look at the bar menu (as soon as I board :) ).

I seem to recall reading something similar within the last few weeks about the same kingpd of issue with the 30% off internet pricing.

The person in that post took photos / screenshots of everything and I can't remember if they dealt with it through guest services or post cruise customer care but they got their refund.

With the semi-recent changes a 'regular' price can't really be established until you sail.

That's the first thing I did when I boarded was to check the price of the PP and compare it to the 20% off I got by pre booking it. Sure enough both times it was correct. So waiting to buy it when you sail will just cost you 20 % more.

Hey Matt or anyone who might know: Next year on Oasis and Harmony, we booked a BW balcony cabin and, at booking time, RCCL offered a free soda (royal refreshment) package with every BW balcony cabin. Do you think it will be cheaper to buy an alcoholic package before we go or wait and ask for an upgrade when we board?:rolleyes::confused: Thoughts?;)

Edited by SilkySal
change word

We sail on Liberty in December. We purchased the Premium drink package a few weeks ago. The gratuity is added on top of the so-called 20%-discounted price. It's a 7-day cruise, and we paid $726.88. The price given per day on the web site is $44/pp/day. Our total is exactly 44*14 plus 18% gratuity. I will be checking brochures onboard to see what is said about gratuities. I wonder, too, what sales taxes might be added in some states if you buy in advance. There were no taxes charged in our case; we're in Texas.

Sal - not sure what you are asking? You mean do I think you can upgrade that soda package to an alcohol package once you board - I'm just not sure. I think we can be sure prices are going up and Oasis class is already more expensive per day for packages than other ships. I'd say buy now. At the very least I got 10% off.

Decklife - Im pretty sure there are no taxes paid on packages sold in the US. There are definitely no taxes paid on packages sold while in a US port.

I'm paying no tax - they have to break it out.

Edited by MattInFLL

Sal - not sure what you are asking? You mean do I think you can upgrade that soda package to an alcohol package once you board - I'm just not sure. I think we can be sure prices are going up and Oasis class is already more expensive per day for packages than other ships. I'd say buy now. At the very least I got 10% off.

Here's what happened. When I noticed the 20% discount, I went into my Oasis reservation to cancel our "Select" beer/wine packages, so I could re-order them at the discount. When I went back to re-order them, they weren't even offered and still are not offered as a drink package!:( Guess I should have looked first before I cancelled them!:o Anyway, I went ahead and purchased the Ultimate for myself but Tom still wants the Select. A soda package should be included with our boardwalk balcony cabin so he wants to see if he can upgrade to the Select package when we board, or sooner if RCI offers it again. If they don't, he may be stuck drinking sodas until the DL! If he snoozes, he loses, right?:p Beware all - make sure your desired drink package is available before you cancel any!