Spring Break Cruising - Avoiding the Crazy

CruiseRook91

So we just got off the Majesty OTS and are looking to book our next cruise for Spring Break 2017 (March 18th). My girlfriend is a teacher so we essentially have to do Spring Break or wait until summer (not happening). Most Spring Breaks for colleges are the week before but there are still a lot that week. We are really trying to avoid being on a Spring Break party cruise and originally were looking at going out of San Juan but the cost of the flights make it way to expensive for us. So I have looked at the Brilliance of the Seas but I wouldn't say it has "priced us out" of the Spring Break crowd. Any recommendations on avoiding party booze cruises for college kids.

Don't get me wrong, I want them to party (We are only 25) but I don't want them to party on the same boat as me ;)

Thanks all,

Sam

Spring break can be across several weeks in that time frame and will concentrate mainly on shorter cruises of 5 nights and less. Your best bet would be to stick with 7 night itineraries. But any itinerary can be affected and there really is no guarantee of any one week over another. Keep in mind high schools also are off during those weeks and many families with children will be cruising then. Security regarding alcohol brought on board will also be much tighter then as well.

The best way to avoid the "craziness" is not to take part! Honestly...it's not a "frat house" atmosphere, especially on longer cruises. Any 3-4 nighter at ANY time of year will have it's share of "partiers"...but you are under no obligation to join in! Plenty of quiet areas for you to chill...you'll be fine.

All the ships sail full, so the number of folks doesn't rise simply because school is out...you may have more kids (and I mean families with kids...not lone teens!)

Have to completely disagree with CB. Rowdy spring breakers CAN ruin a cruise, just ask over on Celebrity cruise line's board (and Celebrity isn't known as a line that attracts many kids, but this particular cruise was one of their short cruises) where a college had a partial charter on Constellation. They said it was the cruise from hell because of the spring breakers. Outrageous behavior, lots of drinking and hard partying ll day long and into the night. I've been on cruises during spring break back when I was a teacher, and the atmosphere on board was totally different, and not for the best, due to these college kids.

OP, you're not going to avoid the spring breakers, but you can choose a cruise that might have less kids. NEVER book a cruise for less than 7 days, as the shorter cruises will always bring out the hard partiers. Go with a line that doesn't attract as many kids, such as Holland America or Princess. But the biggest no-no is booking a short cruise.

Have to completely disagree with CB. Rowdy spring breakers CAN ruin a cruise, just ask over on Celebrity cruise line's board (and Celebrity isn't known as a line that attracts many kids, but this particular cruise was one of their short cruises) where a college had a partial charter on Constellation. They said it was the cruise from hell because of the spring breakers. Outrageous behavior, lots of drinking and hard partying ll day long and into the night. I've been on cruises during spring break back when I was a teacher, and the atmosphere on board was totally different, and not for the best, due to these college kids.

OP, you're not going to avoid the spring breakers, but you can choose a cruise that might have less kids. NEVER book a cruise for less than 7 days, as the shorter cruises will always bring out the hard partiers. Go with a line that doesn't attract as many kids, such as Holland America or Princess. But the biggest no-no is booking a short cruise.

Agree completely!

Do the math on a premium line (e.g., Oceania or Azamara) comparison to mass market carriers like HAL or Princess. When you figure in all the extras you'll pay for with the mass market option, the "net daily rate" cost of a premium ship will surprise you. And the food/service will be significantly better.

During "spring break," you will find more kids than usual on premium lines but, the ones we've encountered have generally been in family groups and very well behaved.

I went on a Carnival Ship out of NOLA at spring break and found the college kids were no problem. However the hot tub by the main pool had 16 kids ( 1/2 in diapers) oldest about 6 years old . I counted them. The parents were letting them show their independence. Their was a lady from the cruise watching them closely but never intervening in their behavior. I would book the large RCCL ships. Allure and Oasis are so big you won't have a crazies problem.

Oh to be 25 and on a cruise again. This is the time to have fun. Make Memories.

Cruise, Cruise Cruise ;)

I've cruised a couple of times during Spring Break and had a wonderful time.

Did they party? yes they did. No more and no less than the adults on the ship.

I really didn't see any difference.

Anyway,

Sounds like the PR cruise is exactly the one you want. If the flight costs are making you think twice,,, that means it's out of their range to even consider

So we just got off the Majesty OTS and are looking to book our next cruise for Spring Break 2017 (March 18th). My girlfriend is a teacher so we essentially have to do Spring Break or wait until summer (not happening). Most Spring Breaks for colleges are the week before but there are still a lot that week. We are really trying to avoid being on a Spring Break party cruise and originally were looking at going out of San Juan but the cost of the flights make it way to expensive for us. So I have looked at the Brilliance of the Seas but I wouldn't say it has "priced us out" of the Spring Break crowd. Any recommendations on avoiding party booze cruises for college kids.

Don't get me wrong, I want them to party (We are only 25) but I don't want them to party on the same boat as me ;)

Thanks all,

Sam

You have defined your problem:

A) you can only cruise during spring break,

B) you do not want to cruise with the kids who are on limited budget,

C) you are essentially on a comparable limited budget.

Draw a Venn diagram: you need to redefine either A, B, or C if you want to find your "sweet spot".