Luggage weight

Lady Mulberry

Hi there, I wonder if anyone can help about luggage weight please? We had our booklet through a few days ago with the luggage labels for our upcoming Oriana cruise. The labels said that each case should have a maximum weight of 23kg.

All well and good you would think, but we printed our tickets off yesterday and it said on there that the maximum weight was 20kg!

Slightly confused now. Has anyone had the same? (Crucial question as this could affect the number of pairs of shoes being taken LOL!).

Thanks

Lady M

Hi there, I wonder if anyone can help about luggage weight please? We had our booklet through a few days ago with the luggage labels for our upcoming Oriana cruise. The labels said that each case should have a maximum weight of 23kg.

All well and good you would think, but we printed our tickets off yesterday and it said on there that the maximum weight was 20kg!

Slightly confused now. Has anyone had the same? (Crucial question as this could affect the number of pairs of shoes being taken LOL!).

Thanks

Lady M

Are you flying? We are with Thomson and our weight restriction is 23kg and this must be because it is a cruise as it is normally no where near that for them. With Jet2 it is 22kg. Can't remember what Thomas Cook was.

Thanks

Lady M

IGNORE the luggage label. You go buy the airline weight which is normally 23kg for Thomson and Thomas Cook. You are also allowed 5kg hand luggage. The details are on your Cruise Personaliser.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/before-you-sail/luggage_amount

From Southampton you can take as much luggage as you want as long as a case weighs no more than 20kg which is the "20 kg" limit stated on the luggage label.

So confusing and you would think they could supply labels with the correct weight on it.

It's all a bit illogical and typical of the difficulty big companies have with basic common sense. If the airport baggage handlers can cope with a 23 k bag (not to mention this geriatric) why restrict Southampton to 20.

Hang on, I know, it's probably to do with the EU.

David.

It's all a bit illogical and typical of the difficulty big companies have with basic common sense. If the airport baggage handlers can cope with a 23 k bag (not to mention this geriatric) why restrict Southampton to 20.

David.

Its to do with Health and Safety policy of each company/airline, and actions taken by No Win, No Fee lawyers.

I have enough trouble lifting a 16KG case which is my pack for a 14 nighter. Why are people taking gold bars on holiday:eek:

We don't fly, only ever go from Southampton. I make sure each case is below 20kg...

Usually take 2 large cases @ about 17kg each

2 medium cases @ about 11kg each

2 small roll ons that is our hand luggage (with box of wine in mine)

The above would be for any cruise 14 nights and above. (max so far is 24 days)

I do not pack gold bars, but if we stuck to one case each we would not be able to take enough, so have the two so not stuffed to the gunnals...

Do we take too much..didn't think that was possible :p:p:p

David.

Its as Davenew says. The Risk Assessment is done by individual companies and P&O consider 20kg is sufficient. You have to remember that we only lift two or three cases at most whilst luggage handles are handling thousands. Animal feed used to be in 25kg bags but most now are 20kg. The odd thing was we used to lift one bag at 20kg now we can lift 2 at 40kg.

David.

The signs next to the hole in the wall at Southampton where they shove the cases through actually says 23kg max.

Thanks all for your replies. We're sailing out of Southampton on a 14 night cruise so will split the weight evenly and make sure nothing's over 20kg. We'll leave the gold bars at home!

Lady M

I envy you your weight limit ---- panic has set in here! Have a great time.

One of the big advantages of port to port cruising is the ability to take as much luggage as you can accommodate in your cabin, and you can as stated if you split it up into multiple parts.

It's just I suppose that humans generally are becoming physically weaker. The standard weight of a bag of stockfeed was one hundredweight, 50 kilos and I remember handling these all day without thought and any distress.

OK a risk assessment ( probably carried out by some guy who really would struggle with 20 k ) could well be the reason for such a low limit, but would the addition of an extra 3k to match the charter airline make any difference to the risk.

David.

We are from US and already traveling in Europe. Our cases each weigh 50 lbs/23k. Our Britannia cruise departs 8/20. Should we buy some sort of inexpensive bags in Southampton to redistribute our belongings? I didn't really pay attention to weight limit. Our boarding time is 15:00. Maybe they won't notice at that late time?

Thanks,

Jane from Texas

We are from US and already traveling in Europe. Our cases each weigh 50 lbs/23k. Our Britannia cruise departs 8/20. Should we buy some sort of inexpensive bags in Southampton to redistribute our belongings? I didn't really pay attention to weight limit. Our boarding time is 15:00. Maybe they won't notice at that late time?

Thanks,

Jane from Texas

No Jane you don't need to do anything. Unless cases are outrageously over weight no one is concerned.

David.

Thanks,

Jane from Texas

No. I would go with your cases as they are if they are 23kg. I don't think its fair to push it higher than that. Some people think that as long as they can lift their 2 or 3 cases then that's Ok but you have to think of the handlers who are lifting thousands of cases.

No. I would go with your cases as they are if they are 23kg. I don't think its fair to push it higher than that. Some people think that as long as they can lift their 2 or 3 cases then that's Ok but you have to think of the handlers who are lifting thousands of cases.

Totally agree....and bear in mind that cabin stewards, wait staff and other crew members double up as baggage handlers on the ship itself. They are not such burley people as the porters at the port of Southampton!