Denied boarding

Kosmo82899

I would have put boyfriend on a bus headed home and gone on the cruise! He shouldn't have been so careless. Why should everyone else have to miss out? Also, he should have had a passport.

Edited by kat2009

I would have put boyfriend on a bus headed home and gone on the cruise! He shouldn't have been so careless. Why should everyone else have to miss out? Also, he should have had a passport.

If your daughter forgot hers, would you put her on the bus with him? :rolleyes:

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by First and Ten

True but a passport wouldn't have been any better if he forgot to bring it. Lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The night before our cruise we didn't have my son's (21) birth certificate. Long story, we got it the morning of but I knew there was a REAL possibility I was going to be out cruise fare. I was the one that took the risk. I could have gotten insurance or a passport. It never crossed my mind that I would be entitled to a refund. It was our responsibility to comply with DHS regulations that require a passport or birth cert and ID, not Carnival's.

The night before our cruise we didn't have my son's (21) birth certificate. Long story, we got it the morning of but I knew there was a REAL possibility I was going to be out cruise fare. I was the one that took the risk. I could have gotten insurance or a passport. It never crossed my mind that I would be entitled to a refund. It was our responsibility to comply with DHS regulations that require a passport or birth cert and ID, not Carnival's.

Glad you didn't have to listen to some of compassionate chuckleheads on here who would have told you to drop him off at the bus stop with a few bucks and as you were pulling away to go back to the port, shout out "get home safe kid" :rolleyes:

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by First and Ten

Glad you didn't have to listen to some of compassionate chuckleheads on here who would have told you to drop him off at the bus stop with a few bucks and as you were pulling away to go back to the port, shout out "get home safe kid"

It certainly crossed my mind but with the reason for cruise being his 21st birthday, I may have stayed behind to participate in the consolation party!

Just wanted to get some input from other cruisers and any tips on how to possibly win this battle against Carnival. Here is my story. Myself, my wife, my son, my daughter and her boyfriend who is 18 were supposed to cruise on the Carnival Paradise out of Tampa last week. Her boyfriend was denied boarding because he didn't have any form of photo id with him because he accidently left it in the hotel room in Georgia we had stayed at the previous night. We had his birth certificate and the hotel found his wallet with drivers license in it and sent us and Carnival a picture of the license. After waiting for over 3 hours we were told he wouldn't be allowed to board. Now we are fighting with Carnival to try to get the money we had paid to be put towards a future cruise with them. They are refusing to give us anything back or put towards another cruise because we didn't purchase the insurance they offer. We were told by the Carnival employees in Tampa that the insurance wouldn't have helped in this situation anyway but that is not what customer care is telling us. We have been on multiple cruises with Carnival and brought other couples previously on their first cruises. I am failing to see what Carnival feels like they will be losing by giving us our money towards another cruise with them. It was a 5 day cruise from Tampa to Mexico in the cheapest cabin they had so they won't be out much money in my opinion. Anyone with any suggestions on this?

Totally his fault.

Why are you fighting with Carnival? The 18 year old Millennium had no ID or passport!

This is a good experience for him that the world has rules not just quiet zones! Some cruise lines would require a passport and not just a photo! Carnival No Credit!

This is my biggest issue is just have some compassion and give us a break. Especially since we have went on multiple cruises with them. I'm not saying it was in anyway shape or form Carnival's fault. It was completely on him/us for not making sure sooner he had it. But would it hurt them to be a little compassionate? At one point we were standing at the counter debating whether or not my family was going to go without him and both my kids were crying. One Carnival employee even made the comment that if somebody else was in working in customs that day that they would have probably let us on. I also don't understand why we had to wait over 3 hours just to be told no. The boyfriend had family relatively close to the port and had we been told sooner that he wouldn't be allowed on, the rest of us may have went on the cruise anyway. At least then we could have been assured that he had someone there to pick him up and he wasn't just stranded hundreds of miles from home. I guess I just feel doing a good deed here may cost them a couple grand, which is nothing to them but overall would do more good than harm. We will most likely spend more money than previously if they credit us for another cruise, would be more likely to consider future cruises with them and would pass on that they are a good company that takes care of their customers. As it stands now they will definitely not get any future business from us, not that it will hurt them at all lol.

So you understand the number of sob stories they hear every day?

They owe you nothing.

I love how you claim if they would just have some compassion, next time you would spend a little more than the absolute rock bottom prices you paid this time

Take your business elsewhere, but show up at the pier with no photo id and you will not be getting on that ship either

What you seem too ignorant to understand is, the reason you waited 3 hours was they were trying to get you on board.

Accept your loss, and move on.

I tell everyone I'm cruising with to ensure they have the proper documents and ID! I would sure hate to have to leave them at the port while I'm onboard! I don't want to be in that position because I might lose a good friend or family member. I would expect the same from them!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Carnival can't make exceptions when it comes to proper ID , and maybe carnival as a company may have allowed it ,but customs would not and they have to fallow the same rules which are applied to every guest.

i'm sorry your vacation was a let down, but sometimes you have to look at it from the other end

Don't people argue all the time that 18 is old enough to be on Serenity because they are in the military? So an 18 yr can't manage traveling home alone but could drive a tank in Iran?
e

Elaine, I agree with you, an 18 year old should be able to manage travel plans, but this generation is so immature they are more like 12 year olds. Mommie needs to make the arrangements for them, otherwise, they are lost! I was in the final Vietnam draft and off I went at 19, but I had my first job caddying at 11 years old, at 16 Night Manager at Burger King, so I was plenty mature to handle Vietnam. Most 18 year olds haven't a clue what a job is because Mommie needs to find them one and then drive them back and forth.

Mommie just doesn't have the time to do that right now!

He does have a job at the local wings joint and is going to school to be an electrician actually. I have no doubt he will pay us back when he has the money. It just shouldn't have come to this in the first place in my opinion.

You are right it shouldn't have. He should have been more responsible about his ID.

I thought pre existing medical condition only applied to those travelling, and it had in previous insurance contracts. This one had this as the clause:

EXISTING MEDICAL CONDITION

There is no cover under this policy for an existing medical condition.

An existing medical condition is:

a. any chronic or ongoing (whether chronic or otherwise) medical or dental condition, illness or disease of which you were aware or should reasonably have been aware, and which is medically documented or under investigation prior to the issue of the Certificate of Insurance; or

b. any physical, mental illness or medical condition (including pregnancy), defect, illness or disease of which you were aware or should reasonably have been aware, and for which treatment, medication, preventative medication, advice, preventative advice or investigation has been received or prescribed by a medical or dental adviser in the 90 days prior to the issue of the Certificate of Insurance.

Note:

• Where any condition is the subject of an investigation, that condition falls within this definition, regardless of whether or not a diagnosis of the condition has been made.

This definition applies to you, your travelling party, your relatives, your business colleague, or any other person you have a relationship with whose state of health could impact your travel plans.

Needless to say I don't use this company any more.

e

Elaine, I agree with you, an 18 year old should be able to manage travel plans, but this generation is so immature they are more like 12 year olds. Mommie needs to make the arrangements for them, otherwise, they are lost! I was in the final Vietnam draft and off I went at 19, but I had my first job caddying at 11 years old, at 16 Night Manager at Burger King, so I was plenty mature to handle Vietnam. Most 18 year olds haven't a clue what a job is because Mommie needs to find them one and then drive them back and forth.

Mommie just doesn't have the time to do that right now!

Bravo!:)

I think it's good to share these experiences, as it helps others better understand the type of company Carnival is. I'm not saying that's good or bad. I'm sailing with Carnival and likely will continue. But knowing how they handle their guests when something unfortunate happens is very good to know and will certainly stay in the back of my mind when considering booking options. Though honestly, I think all cruise lines are equally terrible when it comes to this.

I disagree. I've seen people denied boarding on Royal Caribbean as well for not having appropriate ID. The refund policy is clear in your cruise documents and on the website. Even with travel insurance purchased that doesn't fall under the category for protection.

I personally would of made sure he got back home but I would of continued my planned vacation. I could probably say this with confidence because first no way I would bring my daughters boyfriend on a cruise anyway. I have a 19 year old too.

I disagree. I've seen people denied boarding on Royal Caribbean as well for not having appropriate ID. The refund policy is clear in your cruise documents and on the website. Even with travel insurance purchased that doesn't fall under the category for protection.

I personally would of made sure he got back home but I would of continued my planned vacation. I could probably say this with confidence because first no way I would bring my daughters boyfriend on a cruise anyway. I have a 19 year old too.

Some policies will cover lost travel documentation, some won't. This is one of the things I look for when buying a policy.

I don't know if it has been mentioned and I don't know if this idea would have worked for the OP (I am not sure how far the hotel was away from Tampa), but since the hotel found the wallet I would have at least considered having them put it in the hands of a same day courier service to have them deliver it to the port. It would have been pricey but worth it (of course assuming that it was a viable option). I mention it just in case someone else finds themselves in the same position.